Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Round 15: Swans v Demons @ Cazaly's

A few mistakes, but a marvellous win.
    Melbourne rested on their laurels - thought we were easybeats.
    Very happy today.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    worried about why Ali and LLoyde didnt take marks in 1st qrt. Ali dropped 2 simple ones, Loyd just punched ball which could have beena chest mark, went to a demons man
    No need to worry. Both were just playing the percentages which all good defenders do, especially when they are uncertain as to where their opponents are.

Great game by the Swans. It seems that a lot has changed in structure since Kennedy has come back into the team. Florent and Rowbottom have moved to the wing and hence there seems to be a drop off in their output (0 clearances again for Rowbottom and 1 clearance for Florent) probably to get three different personnel in the middle - Blakey, Ryan Clarke, and Kennedy. I thought that Oli was holding his position well during stoppages but just did not get his hands on the ball. His composure is very good and he does not hack the ball as soon as getting it but he lacks in the foot skills for precise flat passes inside 50s. On the other hand, McInerney has the ideal half forward, wing game for inside 50 delivery (Another Dawson in the making). But he needs to bulk up a bit and get his tank over the next preseason.
    Rowbottom is a smart footballer who can do it all but probably again lacks in tank to do the wing role well enough at this stage. I thought that we delivered the Inside 50s through the right personnel this week compared to Ryan Clarke and Aliir in the last game. The inside 50 delivery through Parker, McInerney, Dawson, Blakey, Papley a much better plan.

Veterans List
    Outstanding effort, and special call out to Taylor and Clarke. Let's hope we see that level of performance from them more often.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Great game by the Swans. It seems that a lot has changed in structure since Kennedy has come back into the team. Florent and Rowbottom have moved to the wing and hence there seems to be a drop off in their output (0 clearances again for Rowbottom and 1 clearance for Florent) probably to get three different personnel in the middle - Blakey, Ryan Clarke, and Kennedy.
    I am not sure a demotion would've been how either of them saw their season finishing off. Neither seem to be able to impact games much of late. Rowbum at least has moments, but Florent puts in forgettable display after forgettable display. He is not bad, but he is not shining like we need him to. These two were touted as the future of our midfield at the start of 2020 and they end the year being overtaken by a few.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I am not sure a demotion would've been how either of them saw their season finishing off. Neither seem to be able to impact games much of late. Rowbum at least has moments, but Florent puts in forgettable display after forgettable display. He is not bad, but he is not shining like we need him to. These two were touted as the future of our midfield at the start of 2020 and they end the year being overtaken by a few.
    Florent started forward . Not sure it’s fair to judge him as a midfielder on that basis.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Florent started forward . Not sure it’s fair to judge him as a midfielder on that basis.
    Well that is a demotion isn't it. If he were showing enough as a midfielder he'd be in the midfield.

Back on the criticism wagon again about Rowbottom I see. He may well just be getting tired too and his output has dropped a bit as a result - yes its a shortened season, but its a compressed one. Still only his second season and first full season in terms of close to playing every match.

Florent form has not been great in the second half of the season - not sure what is going on there.

They haven't been overtaken by anybody - simply having ups and downs in form like most young players do. Talk about an over-reaction - especially when one of the very best midfielders in the game over the past decade has come back in which has necessitated some shuffling. I'd suggest there is also a reasonable amount of 'trying new things' going on as well, to test players in different roles, and give players different exposure.

We have never been a team of hierachy in terms of where players play, so I can't see how anyone thinking rationally thinks its some form of demotion. Especially for Florent who has played plenty of outside mid football both at junior levels (i.e. an in and under bull is not his first home) and his AFL career so far.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Well that is a demotion isn't it. If he were showing enough as a midfielder he'd be in the midfield.
    McInerney still a bust? Fair effort for skinny kid with single digit games.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Back on the criticism wagon again about Rowbottom I see. He may well just be getting tired too and his output has dropped a bit as a result - yes its a shortened season, but its a compressed one. Still only his second season and first full season in terms of close to playing every match.

Florent form has not been great in the second half of the season - not sure what is going on there.

They haven't been overtaken by anybody - simply having ups and downs in form like most young players do. Talk about an over-reaction - especially when one of the very best midfielders in the game over the past decade has come back in which has necessitated some shuffling. I'd suggest there is also a reasonable amount of 'trying new things' going on as well, to test players in different roles, and give players different exposure.

We have never been a team of hierachy in terms of where players play, so I can't see how anyone thinking rationally thinks its some form of demotion. Especially for Florent who has played plenty of outside mid football both at junior levels (i.e. an in and under bull is not his first home) and his AFL career so far.
    Wasn't criticising Rowbottom, he was solid I thought. I was pointing out that he, along with Florent, might've found themselves knocked down the proverbial totem pole as the year has progressed, with Clarke's renewed form, Blakey showing his midfield credentials, and Kennedy's return. Earlier on in the year our best midfield set up might've been Kennedy, Parker, Florent and Rowbottom. That's possibly not the case now as the season has gone on. Onus is now on those two to take back that mantle. Interesting times ahead .

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    McInerney still a bust? Fair effort for skinny kid with single digit games.
    He looked good out there, but I think I would've looked good out there against the hapless Demons, and I have bad knees. MFC really are a stain on this league. Had they not had the word 'Melbourne' in their club name, I am sure the Vic cronies would've been calling for their demise as a club after the tanking saga.

Senior Player
    Some great games from a few of the whipping boys last night (including the coach ;-) ), Fox, Clarke, Taylor in particular.

Harry C must be top 3 in our B&F, how reliable is he now? Would like to see McClean stay in for the remaining games, also give him a chance in the ruck Horse!

Wicks has been a pleasant suprise

This has been an enjoyable season in spite of our ladder position