Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: VFA/VFL reminiscences (split from NEAFL thread)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Great highlights there.....Bobby was ahead of his time.......would be a star in todays game.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Did I see a couple of glimpses of Darrel Baldock in that footage? I looked it up and saw that Darrel and Bobby were the same age and played together in a VFL rep game.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    That is magnificent!! Thanks for posting KSAS!

Thanks from me too KSAS. Great video, great song. Gee Skilton’s kicking was superb and the way he danced around opponents delightful.

Also a touch of nostalgia with the packed crowd standing in the outer behind a picket fence, and the goal umpires wearing white lab coats and white hats. Ah the old days!

All the credit goes to the person who compiled & uploaded this video as it contains footage I hadn't seen before. Love Bobby's trade mark smile when on the MCG dias receiving the Brownlow medal sporting 2 black eyes! That in itself reveals everything about the man.

I also couldn't help noticing the courage & passion both he and Paul Kelly similarly displayed in the way they attacked the footy. So fitting they both wore no.14.
    Last edited by KSAS; 22nd November 2020 at 02:41 AM.

Veterans List
    All the credit goes to the person who compiled & uploaded this video as it contains footage I hadn't seen before. Love Bobby's trade mark smile when on the MCG dias receiving the Brownlow medal sporting 2 black eyes! That in itself reveals everything about the man.

I also couldn't help noticing the courage & passion both he and Paul Kelly similarly displayed in the way they attacked the footy. So fitting they both wore no.14.
    Oh for a Paul Kelly right now. Our centre clearance work hasn't been the same since he retired.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    1982 VFL Night Grand Final VFL Park Waverley - Swans vs North Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Interesting interview with Bob Skilton back in 1981 when he was selected as rover in Ch 7's 25 years hall of fame team (1956 - 1981):
    Bob Skilton - 1981 Channel 7 Hall of Fame Team 1956-1981 25 Years of Football - Rover - YouTube

Interesting interview with Bob Skilton back in 1981 when he was selected as rover in Ch 7's 25 years hall of fame team (1956 - 1981):
    Bob Skilton - 1981 Channel 7 Hall of Fame Team 1956-1981 25 Years of Football - Rover - YouTube
    The fact that almost the first thing he did, was to bag the club's administrators, makes me feel grateful, that for most of the time that I've been following the Swans, the club appears to have been very well run. There's actually a nice article today on the club site, about retiring club physio, Rob Spurrs. Some of the background details point to how well the club is administered.

Although it was nice to hear Skilton talk about how much the jersey meant to him: especially since he originally wanted to play for the Demons.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    The fact that almost the first thing he did, was to bag the club's administrators, makes me feel grateful, that for most of the time that I've been following the Swans, the club appears to have been very well run. There's actually a nice article today on the club site, about retiring club physio, Rob Spurrs. Some of the background details point to how well the club is administered.

Although it was nice to hear Skilton talk about how much the jersey meant to him: especially since he originally wanted to play for the Demons.
    Believe me, South were a bit of a shambles for many years, making them vulnerable to being sent interstate. It is only in this century that the administration has been outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

I was interested to hear that he initially wanted to go to the Ds. Luckily, he soon came to love the Club thanks to Ron Clegg. I had never heard that story before so thank you for sharing it.

Good administration is so important as he highlighted. I was at a Swans dinner function many years ago in Melbourne. I happened to be seated next to the late Gentleman Jim Cleary. I asked him about why he thought that we had been so unsuccessful in the post- War period and he cited poor administration. We obviously had a bunch of amateurs running the show during the period of the 1950s to 1980s. It made us so vulnerable to a merger or move interstate. Luckily, the move to Sydney eventually paid off after a mostly tough first 13 years.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    1982 VFL Night Grand Final VFL Park Waverley - Swans vs North Melbourne
    I was there that night! It was fantastic!
    Certainly didn't think it would be another 23 years before we won a "real" premiership!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast