Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: VFA/VFL reminiscences (split from NEAFL thread)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Do you remember what the book was R 'n' R?
    I don't but she thinks it was an uncorrected proof - she didn't want to risk anything she might lose
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I don't but she thinks it was an uncorrected proof - she didn't want to risk anything she might lose
    Ah. So an early draft? Happy to hear that she was won over to the joys of red and white fandom so immediately, so emphatically. Can't say it panned out that way for me. While she is a member and attends a few games its more of an occasional entertainment. My daughters meanwhile are welded on fans, whereas my sons are pretty much indifferent. I tried my best to indoctrinate them while they were young but it just didn't seem to happen. I don't understand but I do accept.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I'm enjoying the recollections of this game. It was the first game I ever went to - I decided if every game was like that, I'd go to plenty more! They haven't been of course, but I have been to plenty more.

Some stats: that game ranks seventh for Swans come-from-behind wins at home, based on the margin at end of Q3.

The biggest home turnaround was round 1 2015 vs Essendon, when the Swans came from 34 points down at Q3 to win by 2 goals. Swans kicked 7.4 in the last quarter, Bombers failed to score!

The biggest away turnaround was round 3 2005 vs Brisbane at the Gabba. 32 points down at Q3, won by 1 goal. Kicked 7.3 in the last quarter to the Lions 1.1.

At the other end of the scale: we were involved in the biggest ever comeback by an away team, giving up a 40 point Q3 lead to the Kangaroos in round 19 2004 for a loss by 1 goal. Many will recall the team were distracted by a tragic event near the benches that night.
    That was our trainer Wally ? Was there that day too. It wasn't immediately apparent what was wrong. Very sad.

Re the Sydney - Melbourne 2003 game and the accompanying footage, if you stop the clip at 18:12 (an overture incidentally) following Willo's mark and goal, I appear in the bottom right hand corner of the frame. By 18:13 the young excitable woman sitting in front of me has thrust her Charlotte Hornet coloured arms toward the sky in glee partially obscuring my face. (Some would applaud this development). Being an 'edited highlights' clip most of the crowd shots and less dramatic passages of the game have been edited out of course. In the Director's Cut I pop up everywhere. I seemed so much younger then.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789