Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: VFA/VFL reminiscences (split from NEAFL thread)

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I think they have had more test captains play with than any other world team.
    A number boosted by the fact that West Indian captain Clive Lloyd played a few games for South in the 70s.

Warming the Bench
    The year Lloyd played he struggled to make a run but we had another recruit that year that smashed it around the park Robbie Langer Justin's uncle after 1 season he went back to WA and then became a member of the Kerry Packer cricket WSC. Like in football when people ask me do you follow the AFL I say no i follow the Swans and in cricket I follow Casey-South Melbourne then Victoria and a long way third Australia.

Warming the Bench
    I use to love footy when there was split rounds I would go and watch neutral games but that all changed when the AFL when in the early 90' they had a vote at the MCG to push us to merge with Brisbane so that Carlton could play 11 away games in Sydney thanks to mainly Collingwood that didn't happen. I was 1 of only 19 Swannie supporters protesting there that night very disappointing. Also the greed of the AFL plus the Goodsey saga there weak stand on it. I also think the other indigenous players in the league should have made a stand. I am sorry for jumping on my soap box but I love my club from old to new in both sports and couldn't give a toss for any other team.

Veterans List
    I loved those days South on the Saturday Port on the Sunday.
    As much as I have loved watching the success we have had since we have been playing in Sydney my favourite game was in June 1970 South V Collingwood at the Lake Oval at that stage of the year we were the top two teams. It was close all day but late into time on in the last quarter Collingwood led by 17 points and i can remember a lot of people were leaving the ground to catch the train then in what would have been less than 2 minutes we kicked 3 goals Stevie the rat Hoffman kicked two of them to put us in front and even though the siren hadn't sounded everyone just ran onto the ground celebrating. When they cleared the ground and restarted Collingwood won the ball out of the centre charged forward and kick the ball to Peter McKenna who to this day is still the most accurate kick for goal I have ever seen but just as he was about to mark it the siren went and thank god the umpire heard it so the mark wasn't paid and we won. I have looked everywhere on the internet to find a highlight of this game but can't find it. If there was anyone else there that day I think they would have that in their all time favourite games.
    My Dad was at that game sitting next to none other than Gordon Coventry. After Hoffmans first last quarter goal he leaned over to Dad and whispered "Swans are going to win this" and Dad said "Oh, come on Gordon!" in disbelief. Thankfully Gordon was right....it was one of the great Swans wins. A day to cherish for Dad and all Swans fans.

Warming the Bench
    I just took a photo of the line marker and one of the signs but I am not smart enough to be able to attach them.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I just took a photo of the line marker and one of the signs but I am not smart enough to be able to attach them.
    Keep trying! Would love to see them - especially the sign.

When I was a youngster my Gran who was an avid Swans/Port supporter kept a large article from the Port Melbourne local paper which outlined Bob Skilton's career at the time of his retirement. I'm hoping some of you will enjoy the read. Thanks to Dan for sorting out the files for me to post. You don't have to sign up to dropbox to view them just close the sign up box and read away.

Dropbox - Skilts 1.jpg - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Skilts 2.jpg - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Skilts 3.jpg - Simplify your life

The correct reading order is 2,3,1.

Send them to Dan. He's the greatest!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    When I was a youngster my Gran who was an avid Swans/Port supporter kept a large article from the Port Melbourne local paper which outlined Bob Skilton's career at the time of his retirement. I'm hoping some of you will enjoy the read. Thanks to Dan for sorting out the files for me to post. You don't have to sign up to dropbox to view them just close the sign up box and read away.

Fantastic mate

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post

Wonderful!!! Thankyou so much for posting.

Senior Player
    What a great read thanks for sharing. As a latecomer to the game and the Swans I never saw him play but everything I have seen and heard paints a picture of a player who epitomised resilience toughness and loyalty to his team.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast