Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: VFA/VFL reminiscences (split from NEAFL thread)

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    These posts about the Lake Oval are bringing a tear to my eye! More please!

All the talk recently about the Adelaide Crows losing streak has made me think of one of my favourite South Melbourne games at the Lake Oval.

On July 7, 1973 South beat Geelong by 45 points to end a streak of 29 straight losses. I don't remember much about the game itself other than the fact that we were so far in front in the last quarter that we were actually able to relax and enjoy it. What I remember most was what happened after the final siren. In those days, fans could run on to the ground when the siren went. (You were actually allowed to jump the fence and wait on the sidelines before the siren rang!) After we beat Geelong that day, I reckon every South supporter was on the ground celebrating!! The feeling was magnificent! Our coach, Graeme John, was mobbed by fans as he attempted to walk from the coaches box on the bowling green side to the rooms under the grandstand. And my clearest memory of that day is of an elderly man singing the club song while crying his heart out!

Please please tell me that there were other RWOers there that day!
    I was there, as a child. I remember us smashing the Cats. One of my earliest footy memories. I ran onto the ground - as you say, you could do it back then.

I also remember my father being beside himself with happiness. I was too young at the time to understand how enjoyable that would have been after 29 losses.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Nico;803359]Russell Cooke no.17 had huge feet, so much so that he had to have his boots especially made for him. Graeme John no.7 was as weak as water. Played centre half forward and continually dropped his head in a marking contest. Didn't know how to tackle.

Can't recall why Magee left us but was a handy player for us. Doubt it was money back in those days. Probably had a blue with a committee member who were rapped up in their own importance and had too much influence. Eric Sarich came from WA and was handy for us. His brother invented the orbital engine. Too technical for me but was a big deal back then. I think the car industry bought the patent and shelved it. Pretty much didn't run on petrol. Google it for the story. Quite a few of the players on that day played in the 1970 semi final. Peter Bedford was only new to the club that year and subsequently wore no.11, worn previously by Max Papley.

Boy how the game has changed.[/QUOTE]

The first bit of footy I can remember seeing was Russell Cooke taking a towering mark down at the grandstand end of the Lakeside Oval. The first game I ever went to. The crowd erupted. I'd never heard anything like it in my (at that stage) short life. My father leaned down and told me it was Russell Cooke who'd taken the mark (leaned down, because we were in standing room - such a thing existed then. I somehow managed to see the mark looking through a cluster of giants). I will always remember it.

You are right about the game changing. Cooke played in the ruck despite being about 6'2" in the old. Was a brilliant pack mark. Seemed to take big contested grabs constantly. Not like today with people taking 17 uncontested and ultimately meaningless marks in a game.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Another player that can be added to the Port/Swans connection was the younger brother of Norm Goss, Paul. He played a handful of games for South. He was nowhere the player that Norm was though. I can recall the Swans teams of the 1970s being renowned for possessing a good bunch of small players such as Bedford, Goss, Hoffman and Brice but lacking in the Ruck and key positions.

I can recall being at the South Ground to see the debut of a new recruit from Footscray in 1976 to address our deficiencies in the big man department. He looked hopeless that day. He could not even manage to kick the ball off the ground in the goal square at one point. We had paid a transfer fee of $25,000 to get him. We went home thinking we had recruited a dud. His name was Barry Round and would go on to win a Brownlow and be the Club's first Captain in Sydney.
    I recall Kevin Goss playing a few games for us in the early 80's. I think Paul Goss played few games for Mebourne but I don't recall him playing at South?

You can also add Greg Lambert (no. 33) to that quality midfield group South had in the 70's. Lambert was possibly the fastest Swan I've seen. Had nickname of race horse!

I recall Barry Round being one of the first to grab the ball from boundary throw ins in the forward pocket & then snap at goal. Saw him do this a few times at the Lake Oval. He also played well as a Centre Half Forward taking advantage of his strong marking & then dishing out handball to player running past (usually Mark Browning to exploit his long left look kicks). Round worked well in tandem with Grahame Teasdale in the late 70's, both being Ruck/Forwards of their day and Brownlow medalists!

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Footscray v South Melbourne R8 1968 Western Oval. Lots of nostalgia! South won the match.
    FNWB.com.au - 1968: Round 8, Footscray vs South Melbourne - YouTube
    Another Cook by the name of Fred Cook was playing as a defender for the Dogs in this game before he went onto to become a legendary Full Foward with Port Melbourne in the VFA.

Senior Player
    Another Cook by the name of Fred Cook was playing as a defender for the Dogs in this game before he went onto to become a legendary Full Foward with Port Melbourne in the VFA.
    Came from Yarraville originally when they were a VFA second division team

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Footscray v South Melbourne R8 1968 Western Oval. Lots of nostalgia! South won the match.
    FNWB.com.au - 1968: Round 8, Footscray vs South Melbourne - YouTube
    Another important player for us in that video is number 21, John Heriot. He became full back in our Team of the Century and, to this day, has maintained a strong connection with our club as President of the Swans Past Players and Officials Association. Fantastic player for us and a great bloke, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Another player that can be added to the Port/Swans connection was the younger brother of Norm Goss, Paul. He played a handful of games for South. He was nowhere the player that Norm was though. I can recall the Swans teams of the 1970s being renowned for possessing a good bunch of small players such as Bedford, Goss, Hoffman and Brice but lacking in the Ruck and key positions.
    I think Paul played for Melbourne, not the Swans. Norm Jr & Kevin played for the Swans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I think Paul played for Melbourne, not the Swans. Norm Jr & Kevin played for the Swans
    Bobby Skilton also coached Melbourne for a couple of years.

When Daniher (Terry) was a Swan in just his 2nd VFL game against the team we trade him to the following year, along with his brother Neil (involved in play at 1:20 wearing No. 2). Teaser Kicked 9 goals at FF before going into the Ruck & winning Brownlow that year (1977). Packed Lakeside Oval & a lovely background shot of the bowling green side of the ground. South ended up making finals finishing 5th (top 5 back then).
    1977 RD2 Sth Melbourne Vs Essendon Highlights at the Lakeside Oval - YouTube

Senior Player
    When Daniher (Terry) was a Swan in just his 2nd VFL game against the team we trade him to the following year, along with his brother Neil (involved in play at 1:20 wearing No. 2). Teaser Kicked 9 goals at FF before going into the Ruck & winning Brownlow that year (1977). Packed Lakeside Oval & a lovely background shot of the bowling green side of the ground. South ended up making finals finishing 5th (top 5 back then).
    Norm Goss on fire. Ended up at Hawthorn sadly IIRC. T.Daniher swapped for Neville Fields. Shocker.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Fantastic video KSAS! Thanks! Wonderful to see that old press box/timekeepers box/small scoreboard on the bowling green side!!

Warming the Bench
    I loved those days South on the Saturday Port on the Sunday.
    As much as I have loved watching the success we have had since we have been playing in Sydney my favourite game was in June 1970 South V Collingwood at the Lake Oval at that stage of the year we were the top two teams. It was close all day but late into time on in the last quarter Collingwood led by 17 points and i can remember a lot of people were leaving the ground to catch the train then in what would have been less than 2 minutes we kicked 3 goals Stevie the rat Hoffman kicked two of them to put us in front and even though the siren hadn't sounded everyone just ran onto the ground celebrating. When they cleared the ground and restarted Collingwood won the ball out of the centre charged forward and kick the ball to Peter McKenna who to this day is still the most accurate kick for goal I have ever seen but just as he was about to mark it the siren went and thank god the umpire heard it so the mark wasn't paid and we won. I have looked everywhere on the internet to find a highlight of this game but can't find it. If there was anyone else there that day I think they would have that in their all time favourite games.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast