Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Are we there yet?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We should get rid of the handball. Besides the problems with adjudication of proper disposal. allowing throwing the ball, dropping the ball, or similar hand disposals, will open up the game and create more offense. I know the handball is part of the history of the game, but it's the biggest problem with umpiring the game. The only special disposal will be the kick, which can end in a mark or a score. So much simpler.

We should also move to last touch out of bounds with possession going to the other side, like in basketball. This too will speed up the game and eliminate the need for umpires to adjudicate on intent.
    You're losing it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I dont know about banning handball, but we should restrict it. I would be in favour of a scheme such as this.

Defenders. No more than 3 handballs per player per game. After that each subsequent handball up to six is penalised by a ball-up, and after six, its a free kick the opposition. If a player exceeds 12, a 50 metre "suspended" penalty is given, which is activated at the next free kick to that same side (in the same quarter).
    Midfielders. No more than 5 handballs per player per game. After that each subsequent handball up to 7 is penalised by a ball-up, and after 7, its a free kick the opposition. If a player exceeds 12, a 50 metre "suspended" penalty is given, which is activated at the next free kick to that same side (in the same quarter).
    Forwards are not allowed to handball at all, and if caught handballing inside the forward 50m, get a 10 minute "sin bin" on the bench. Handballs outside the 50m are penalised with a ball up. Should the team collectively have more than 20 handballs in the forward half of the ground, 3 points are deducted from their score for every handball above 20. This will require a change to the scoring for the extra column.
    Eg 10 6 -2 60
    Ruckmen are allowed unlimited handballs, but to classify as a ruckman you must be over 200cm. No more than 1 ruckman per team can be the 'nominated ruckman' for the duration of the quarter whether on the field or on the bench. Injuries will be referred to the goal review system to determine if real or not. If real, a team may change its nominated ruckman to any other player avalaible over 200cm. A team cannot make more than 1 injury induced change of nominated ruckman over a 2 game period.
    Players who move between positions will fall into the jurisdiction of that position. Eg if a midfielder has 4 handballs already, and enters the backline and touches the ball, he is automatically deemed to have exceeded his limit and will be penalised as such (ball up).

This would solve a multitude of problems, not just dodgy handballs, but flooding, and keep Steve Hocking in a job. The umpires are fully on board, and see this as easier to implement than trying to judge 400 handballs a game.
    Strewth Bazza don't tell me you have lost the plot too. Am I the only senior on here who's still got his marbles?

Veterans List
    We should also move to last touch out of bounds with possession going to the other side, like in basketball. This too will speed up the game and eliminate the need for umpires to adjudicate on intent.
    What about if our defender spoils the ball and it goes out of bounds or there is a great contest near the boundary line in our defensive 50 and we are the last one to touch it? The opposition would then have a shot at goal. I don't want to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    You're losing it.
    Maybe so. But I'm increasing my Clanger Posts numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    What about if our defender spoils the ball and it goes out of bounds or there is a great contest near the boundary line in our defensive 50 and we are the last one to touch it? The opposition would then have a shot at goal. I don't want to see that.
    How about trying to mark the ball?

Similar to soccer. The goaltender makes a great save by deflecting a kick that was heading for the goal out of bounds. But the ball goes back to the attacking side. It makes sense in soccer. Why not AFL?

Senior Player
    I dont know about banning handball, but we should restrict it. I would be in favour of a scheme such as this.

Defenders. No more than 3 handballs per player per game. After that each subsequent handball up to six is penalised by a ball-up, and after six, its a free kick the opposition. If a player exceeds 12, a 50 metre "suspended" penalty is given, which is activated at the next free kick to that same side (in the same quarter).
    Midfielders. No more than 5 handballs per player per game. After that each subsequent handball up to 7 is penalised by a ball-up, and after 7, its a free kick the opposition. If a player exceeds 12, a 50 metre "suspended" penalty is given, which is activated at the next free kick to that same side (in the same quarter).
    Forwards are not allowed to handball at all, and if caught handballing inside the forward 50m, get a 10 minute "sin bin" on the bench. Handballs outside the 50m are penalised with a ball up. Should the team collectively have more than 20 handballs in the forward half of the ground, 3 points are deducted from their score for every handball above 20. This will require a change to the scoring for the extra column.
    Eg 10 6 -2 60
    Ruckmen are allowed unlimited handballs, but to classify as a ruckman you must be over 200cm. No more than 1 ruckman per team can be the 'nominated ruckman' for the duration of the quarter whether on the field or on the bench. Injuries will be referred to the goal review system to determine if real or not. If real, a team may change its nominated ruckman to any other player avalaible over 200cm. A team cannot make more than 1 injury induced change of nominated ruckman over a 2 game period.
    Players who move between positions will fall into the jurisdiction of that position. Eg if a midfielder has 4 handballs already, and enters the backline and touches the ball, he is automatically deemed to have exceeded his limit and will be penalised as such (ball up).

This would solve a multitude of problems, not just dodgy handballs, but flooding, and keep Steve Hocking in a job. The umpires are fully on board, and see this as easier to implement than trying to judge 400 handballs a game.
    Surely posts like this illustrate that the raw data used in the "Posting Stats" thread needs some kind of qualitative adjustment
    measure to determine a better ranking system of posters. It has to be worth more than usual pithy one-liners a lot of us
    can only be bothered with most of the time, or the ubiquitous "+1" post. I think it might be time to call in Champion Data.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Surely posts like this illustrate that the raw data used in the "Posting Stats" thread needs some kind of qualitative adjustment
    measure to determine a better ranking system of posters. It has to be worth more than usual pithy one-liners a lot of us
    can only be bothered with most of the time, or the ubiquitous "+1" post. I think it might be time to call in Champion Data.
    I know, and sometimes I can't even be bothered with a one-lin

Eg 10 6 -2 60

Just when you think 2020 couldn't get any stranger....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player

Eg 10 6 -2 60

Incredible, barry.

Would the goal review system have access to an MRI machine?

Veterans List
    Maybe so. But I'm increasing my Clanger Posts numbers.

How about trying to mark the ball?

Similar to soccer. The goaltender makes a great save by deflecting a kick that was heading for the goal out of bounds. But the ball goes back to the attacking side. It makes sense in soccer. Why not AFL?
    Ah, that's the goal keeper old son.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Ah, that's the goal keeper old son.
    Did I say 'goaltender'? Ooops!

I must really be losing it.

Auntie Gerald. Barry. And now Ludwig. Whatever it is, it must be contagious.

That's it. I'm going into lockdown for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Incredible, barry.
    When you actually put pen to paper, it seems so obvious, I'm surprised it's never been thought of before.

I know for a fact that Caro is a regular reader and poster (in the top 22, but I won't divulge her identity), so expect this to be discussed on footy classified on Monday.

Would the goal review system have access to an MRI machine?
    If it speeds up the game, I'm in favour.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567