Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Are we there yet?

Round 17: the other games. Are we there yet?

The rounds are still coming thick and fast. Which is understandable, since in a normal year, finals would be starting around about now.

And speaking of finals, the first two games should be played at a finals like intensity. Tonight it's Saints v Eagles: which should give an indication of whether the Saints are a genuine premiership threat. Tomorrow it's Tigers v Cats. The winner will probably be premiership favourites.

We don't play until Sunday night, when we take on the Lions; who are heavy favourites. Although I reckon we have a sneaky chance. While the Lions were impressive against the Suns, we have an extra days rest, and they're starting to get a bit of an injury list, for the first time in a couple of seasons. And strangely, we might be a bit more used to playing in Cairns, than they are.

Veterans List
    Eagles have a few players out so this is the Saints chance to win. Personally I hope they don't!

What's happened to Jetta?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Eagles have a few players out so this is the Saints chance to win. Personally I hope they don't!

What's happened to Jetta?
    Jetta has a calf injury and will be out for a few weeks. West Coast have a total of 16 players listed as unavailable.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I'm also barracking for the Eagles against the Saints. There is so much of the go home factor evident in the Saints' current lineup. If Sydney can't get there, may a non-Vic team book their place in the finals tonight. And then there's the great rivalry we had with them in 2005 - 06.

Nah screw the eagles ! I’m on the Saints ! Astonishing the anti Vic bias to warrant Barracking for our greatest modern rival ! Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the Saints might come home strongly in the final quarter, no goals in the second and third quarters, against an injury depleted Eagles side, suggests that they're not really going to be a premiership threat. Maybe they'll win an elimination final?

Not really sure if the

- - - Updated - - -

Not really sure if the Eagles will go that far in the finals, either. But Ryan is a lot of fun to watch and Kelly is in some fine form.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Nah screw the eagles ! I’m on the Saints ! Astonishing the anti Vic bias to warrant Barracking for our greatest modern rival ! Wow

Yes, I hold a bit of a grudge against the Eagles fans. That's not the case with St Kilda.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

I've got respect for the Eagles (apart from their supporters' booing against Goodesy in recent times) and enjoyed watching both teams go at it in the mid 2000s. I loved how those games were often decided by a goal or less.

While I don't hate the Saints, everytime I see Zac Jones running around, I can't help but feel we were hard done by. I don't think we were compensated adequately for him and it's going to take us that little bit longer to rebuild as he's the type of mid in the right age bracket. Membrey was a loss too.

Not only will the Saints win the free kick count tonight, but any Vic-based club has an advantage over non-Vics in our so called national competition, through trading alone. How many players requested to be traded to Sydney in the last trade period as they wanted to come home?

I will always barrack unashamedly for Sydney. In other games, where Sydney is not involved, I will always barrack with bias against an essentially biased system.

Nic Nat was the difference, just iced the game for them .
    He’s just a mobile mountain.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Understand some anti-Eagles sentiments here. After all, they beat us in the 2006 GF by a point when so many of their players were getting medicinal help. However, as a Victorian, my reasons for disliking some Victorian clubs go back many, many years. I've never met a St.Kilda supporter I like and there's been plenty of St.Kilda players over the years that have been thoroughly objectionable. And Shane Warne barracks for St.Kilda. More than happy to see the Eagles send them packing.

Senior Player
    "Only 2 goals down" is a lot when you don't score a goal in two quarters. Saints had the resolve but not the finish, needed it all to go right for them. Not a bad game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I've got respect for the Eagles (apart from their supporters' booing against Goodesy in recent times) and enjoyed watching both teams go at it in the mid 2000s. I loved how those games were often decided by a goal or less.

While I don't hate the Saints, everytime I see Zac Jones running around, I can't help but feel we were hard done by. I don't think we were compensated adequately for him and it's going to take us that little bit longer to rebuild as he's the type of mid in the right age bracket. Membrey was a loss too.

Not only will the Saints win the free kick count tonight, but any Vic-based club has an advantage over non-Vics in our so called national competition, through trading alone. How many players requested to be traded to Sydney in the last trade period as they wanted to come home?

I will always barrack unashamedly for Sydney. In other games, where Sydney is not involved, I will always barrack with bias against an essentially biased system.
    If we were talking Richmond, Hawthorn or Collingwood I’d be with you.

We’re talking the saints. Any players we lost to them in the past few seasons are squarely on our list management team. One in fact was the equivalent of selling them a lemon ( Hanners ). Members got maybe 3 games ? in his time on our list and saw the writing on the wall when we re-signed An ageing Goodesy. Jones maybe would’ve stayed ( as he did in his previous negotiation 2 years prior when requesting a trade ) if we had a decent offer. We didn’t, due likely to our money tied up in the back ended Buddy contract.

We play a pride game with one of these teams, and on the other hand we have our indigenous champion experience close to the worst Booing episode of the booing saga against another team, and were happy putting that aside ? I’m not. I hate them.

Veterans List
    Another game with a heap of frees for high contact. I can't recall a season where there has been so much high contact.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast