Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
Perhaps that is where you and I differ. I would rather start at a realistic, or unreasonably low bar and then be surprised for the better if they achieve over that bar. The fact is not many of these young ones will make it based on overwhelming statistical figures throughout the game's history, so I would rather not latch my expectations onto a handful of developing players whose developments simply won't amount to much. And then if they do, colour me pleasantly surprised.
I've never said they are all destined to be superstars - the only one I have huge wraps on is Rowbottom, and I'm certainly not alone in that view.

For the others, I'm just willing to give players more leeway to prove their capabilities one way or the other before writing them off, that's all. Its a big call to be judging players, in a normal season, let alone the crazy season we have had, on the stats they produce in a handful of games, and for many their first few games in the top league.

We have little to lose and plenty to gain from giving players a decent show over the next season or two. And if we trade well, those at the bottom end will drop out anyway to be replaced by better players, as we strengthen the list.

Of course there is the flip side too, as you highlighted. Players that start great and drop off. Ronke is a good example for us imho (not that his top level was anything particularly outstanding) - had one night out and a solid season around it, but done nothing since.