Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: R17 Vs Lions @ CAZALY'S

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Perhaps that is where you and I differ. I would rather start at a realistic, or unreasonably low bar and then be surprised for the better if they achieve over that bar. The fact is not many of these young ones will make it based on overwhelming statistical figures throughout the game's history, so I would rather not latch my expectations onto a handful of developing players whose developments simply won't amount to much. And then if they do, colour me pleasantly surprised.
    I've never said they are all destined to be superstars - the only one I have huge wraps on is Rowbottom, and I'm certainly not alone in that view.

For the others, I'm just willing to give players more leeway to prove their capabilities one way or the other before writing them off, that's all. Its a big call to be judging players, in a normal season, let alone the crazy season we have had, on the stats they produce in a handful of games, and for many their first few games in the top league.

We have little to lose and plenty to gain from giving players a decent show over the next season or two. And if we trade well, those at the bottom end will drop out anyway to be replaced by better players, as we strengthen the list.

Of course there is the flip side too, as you highlighted. Players that start great and drop off. Ronke is a good example for us imho (not that his top level was anything particularly outstanding) - had one night out and a solid season around it, but done nothing since.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    How are people rating Melican's last few weeks? Is he going to come good? I haven't decided.
    His last few weeks have been good for mine. Whether he is coming good, I'm not convinced - but its a welcome return to form. Maybe his body is finally back to something approaching 100% and he is feeling more confident in himself. I've always liked him as a player, but he is just a bit slow off the mark at times, and also struggles with giving away silly frees.

A lot may be said with what we seek to draft in terms of our first live pick. There are good KPD and KPF + Ruck/Forward in the draft. I think if anywhere, in defence we might be looking okay going forward the most of anywhere.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I've never said they are all destined to be superstars - the only one I have huge wraps on is Rowbottom, and I'm certainly not alone in that view.

For the others, I'm just willing to give players more leeway to prove their capabilities one way or the other before writing them off, that's all. Its a big call to be judging players, in a normal season, let alone the crazy season we have had, on the stats they produce in a handful of games, and for many their first few games in the top league.

We have little to lose and plenty to gain from giving players a decent show over the next season or two. And if we trade well, those at the bottom end will drop out anyway to be replaced by better players, as we strengthen the list.

Of course there is the flip side too, as you highlighted. Players that start great and drop off. Ronke is a good example for us imho (not that his top level was anything particularly outstanding) - had one night out and a solid season around it, but done nothing since.
    You are not alone in your view of Rowbottom. I share some of it, but clearly not as much as the club as I would not sign any kid to a two year contract extension after they've played only a few games, not even a first round pick, which he was not. This is where we differ though, the club was more willing to take that gamble and luckily it appears it will work in our favour. Does NOT mean it is an advisable course of action.

The advantage of the last two seasons and likely next year if we are again out of finals contention is that we are able to see all that we are working with with those we have drafted. Richmond spent nearing on ten years drafting kids, delisting them without seeing what they could do, waiting for them to develop, then cutting most of them anyway when they weren't much. We are able to fast-forward a lot of that grief by just throwing them into a sink or swim environment and seeing which ones show something. JL must be commended for his willingness to jump head first into rebuilding this list. I hope he reaps the rewards of it. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    His last few weeks have been good for mine. Whether he is coming good, I'm not convinced - but its a welcome return to form. Maybe his body is finally back to something approaching 100% and he is feeling more confident in himself. I've always liked him as a player, but he is just a bit slow off the mark at times, and also struggles with giving away silly frees.

A lot may be said with what we seek to draft in terms of our first live pick. There are good KPD and KPF + Ruck/Forward in the draft. I think if anywhere, in defence we might be looking okay going forward the most of anywhere.
    The boy was coming off an injury and an injury plagued 2019. He has been good. His best is very good and if he gets anjury free prep he will thrive.

I think one of our problems at the moment is Sam Reid. Definitely under performing.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I like how you have us picking up McDonald. He sounds like a great prospect, but reckon he goes top 3 before us. I heard him on Road to the Draft explaining how he developed as a midfielder and then had a growth spurt.

Do hope we draft a genuine ruck prospect rather than pick up a long-shot in the rookie draft (if there even is a rookie draft). I do like the sound of Henry Walsh (B-o-S). Thilthorpe for some reason sounds like he's not quite a forward and not quite a ruck. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong about that.
    I'm of the belief that you don't draft a ruckman especially using an early draft pick. Landing these gold nuggets are rare and you still have to wait 5 to 6 years before they start having a real impact. I prefer to see us draft a ready made ruckman at around age 24 even if we have to pay overs. I do like someone such as Ladhams at Port Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    I'm of the belief that you don't draft a ruckman especially using an early draft pick. Landing these gold nuggets are rare and you still have to wait 5 to 6 years before they start having a real impact. I prefer to see us draft a ready made ruckman at around age 24 even if we have to pay overs. I do like someone such as Ladhams at Port Adelaide.
    You may be right. I think times have changed and we should be looking to draft someone in the 15-35 range, which looks tricky with our draft hand. Grundy (18), English (19), De Koning (30), Gawn (34).

So not burning a really high draft pick, but getting someone who has the attributes to be a modern, mobile ruckman.

Co-Jo although now shop soiled would fit that description. Soldo’s ACL has probably kept him at the Tigers.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think one of our problems at the moment is Sam Reid. Definitely under performing.
    Time to cut ties......sick of waiting for him to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Time to cut ties......sick of waiting for him to deliver.
    Agree, when he won a Flag i thought the sky's the limit for this kid but i'm afraid even discounting his fragile body he hasn't kicked on. Notice that anywhere 40 metres or more from goal when he gets possession he is looking to offload rather than take the kick ? Perhaps protected previously when Buddy, Tippett & others up front.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Agree, when he won a Flag i thought the sky's the limit for this kid but i'm afraid even discounting his fragile body he hasn't kicked on. Notice that anywhere 40 metres or more from goal when he gets possession he is looking to offload rather than take the kick ? Perhaps protected previously when Buddy, Tippett & others up front.
    Late in the 2012 GF we couldn't get the ball out of Hawthorn's back line. Stand up Sam Reid who took the mark on the wing from a long kick out. From then the ball stayed in our forward line. He's got enough brownie points for mine.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415