Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Elijah Taylor

Veterans List
    Ultimately the decision on his future may be out of the Swans hands.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I’m generally staying away from this thread, but wanted to note that’s an excellent contribution.
    Ditto.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Disagree. They discussed it with ET and his family. We don’t know what was said in those discussions but the Swans clearly made a considered decision.

We do know someone from the Swans has been ringing ET every day (Longmire said that in a press appearance). It was suggested by Barracuda at the time that the Swans had arranged counselling for ET in Perth (and I assume are paying for it).

ET is 19 yo. He is a young man (though it seems very immature) not a kid. At that age he can vote, drive a car, fight (and die) for his country.

The Swans should not have to baby-sit him. Who from the Swans staff was supposed to devote time in Cairns watching over him when they all had roles with the active players? A lot of people have already invested their time in him, particularly Buddy who was exceedingly generous to him.

And end of season ET would in any case go back to Perth. Do you think the Swans should then have to send a minder with him?

ET is now facing a serious criminal charge (and may yet face a second one in NSW). The justice system should take its course without prejudice on the outcome.

Equally I don’t believe there should be any prejudice about the Swans management of ET.
    I understand and appreciate your thoughts on this. I agree that Elijah has primary responsibility for his life and his actions.

I am just noting that I and several others believed that it was in Elijah's best interests to stay with the club and complete his responsibilities as a contracted player rather than being left outside the club environment to work things out for himself.

It's not just in retrospect that it seems staying with the club would have been a better way to go. It was the common sense best solution. Yes, Elijah is 19 years old, he's not a kid, and shouldn't have to be supervised. I can imagine all the arguments given to leave him in Perth. Maybe the club didn't have any real leverage at the time.

After the way ET and his girlfriend planned and succeeded to confound the hotel security to spend the night together in the hotel, it should have been pretty obvious that a daily check-in call was not going to do the trick of keeping ET on the straight and narrow.

In the end, it turned out to be a poor choice by the club to handle it they way they did, if they had other options. Call it hindsight, but I think this could have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Plus he is innocent until proven guilty.
    I don't get the pushing of this. We are talking about his future at the Swans, not whether he goes to jail or not.

Also, proven guilty under what terms? Beyond reasonable doubt? Balance of probabilities? What happens if he gets off the criminal case but is then guilty if civil action is taken? Total minefield.

Also, being not guilty doesn't mean you didn't do it. OJ Simpson says hi.

The fact of the matter is, irrelevant of what happens in a civil or criminal court, his character is not one that should be associated with our club. The club isn't a rehab facility or charity (which is to not say they cannot provide support) and players are delisted every year for minor things like they didn't train hard enough, failed to eat the right thing or are a bit too old. If they can be delisted for that, then they should also be delisted for poor character.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I don't get the pushing of this. We are talking about his future at the Swans, not whether he goes to jail or not.

Also, proven guilty under what terms? Beyond reasonable doubt? Balance of probabilities? What happens if he gets off the criminal case but is then guilty if civil action is taken? Total minefield.

Also, being not guilty doesn't mean you didn't do it. OJ Simpson says hi.

The fact of the matter is, irrelevant of what happens in a civil or criminal court, his character is not one that should be associated with our club. The club isn't a rehab facility or charity (which is to not say they cannot provide support) and players are delisted every year for minor things like they didn't train hard enough, failed to eat the right thing or are a bit too old. If they can be delisted for that, then they should also be delisted for poor character.
    Glad you're not a judge in the justice system. Just asking for the case to be judged on its merits according to the principles of natural justice when all details are examined.

Veterans List
    I'm all for leaving it alone and let it play out in the justice system. I have full faith in the Swans doing the correct thing around these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'm all for leaving it alone and let it play out in the justice system. I have full faith in the Swans doing the correct thing around these circumstances.
    I think it comes down to his attitude. Does he want help? Lot's of teenagers feel they know everything - mine certainly did. If he wants help the Swans should work with him, if not, they should let him go. You can't help someone who's not sincere in seeking help.

Club Statement

Excellent response by the club and good to see they don't stand for violence against women.

Much better response then some posters on here who have conveniently ignored the photos of a beaten woman and hide behind legal processes.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Club Statement

Excellent response by the club and good to see they don't stand for violence against women.

Much better response then some posters on here who have conveniently ignored the photos of a beaten woman and hide behind legal processes.
    Noticed Harley mentioned respect to all parties and the impending court proceedings. Agree it was an excellent response.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    Totally agree. We all do not condone domestic violence. Infact this is as low as any self respecting man can go. This has unfortunately happened to my Mum.

BUT we do not know all the facts. And more importantly there is a judicial process to play out.

If ET was found guilty, maybe there is an angle to help BOTH of the people out. First thing is to show compassion and understanding to the woman - WHOMEVER it is, which is I'm sure what a brilliant club like the Swans will do, and to help ET redress the situation. Furthermore, it would be the easiest thing to cut ET adrift and let him deal with it. But you can win by educating someone, make him realise his mistakes arising out of his actions, have him work hard to earn back the respect of the community, and then that of the football club. The club has made a point of drafting him, it has a duty now to help him through to make him an upstanding member of our community. This is what gives our club moral fibre and integrity. Football in this case is a distant second. We will all win if ET works hard to win back respect. That is most important.

Having said all of this .. the above only applies if ET is not recalcitrant, and if found guilty wants to buy in.
    Great post Syd. I agree with second chances and a club like the Swans could make it work.....this of course dependant on his level of offending and whether he is actually guilty or not. One things is for sure, if he does get a second chance it WON'T be in the number 37. That honour has passed him by.....on the Covid breach alone, let alone his latest controversy.

It's all very sad and messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Noticed Harley mentioned respect to all parties and the impending court proceedings. Agree it was an excellent response.
    That's fine to respect all parties. The important part is they stood up for violence against women and stood him down.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast