Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Elijah Taylor

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Both have been charged, so both will have the indictments. Regarding the actual brief of evidence it would appear neither have those yet. I think the thing for me is that standing down a player is being used as a tactical ploy. For example, the Swans stand down Elijah immediately. This will encourage Elijah and his lawyers to get on with the case and get it resolved as quickly as possible. This is a positive thing in my view for the player, the club and the code. Collingwood consider themselves in the premiership window and need De Goey for the next couple of years. Their strategy is to keep him playing, and slow the case as much as possible. Perhaps the person who allocates cases is a Collingwood fan? the case seems to be dragging on incredibly. My view is that De Goey should be stood down given the serious nature of the charges. That way they would have got on with it and sorted it out. I think the situation indicates a lack of moral fibre in the Collingwood club. It places their short terms desperation for a premiership above doing what is right.
    Every one in the judiciary is a Collingwood supporter.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    "Sydney have solid knowledge of the charges, laid out in the charge of aggravated assault occasioning bodily harm. The club had given Taylor a series of directives before the alleged incident in Western Australia that led the charge."

"When Sydney made the decision to stand down youngster Elijah Taylor after he was charged with aggravated assault, a contrast was immediately drawn with Collingwood, who had chosen not to take the same stance with Jordan De Goey when the star forward was charged with indecent assault."

Legally, there's a massive difference between aggravated assault and indecent assault.
    It's alleged that De Goey "swore" at a woman, it's alleged Taylor physically assaulted a woman.
    Right call.
    Fair enough. I heard that De Goey had apologised to the women already for swearing at her and assumed there was more to the allegations. If not, yes.....massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Fair enough. I heard that De Goey had apologised to the women already for swearing at her and assumed there was more to the allegations. If not, yes.....massive difference.
    It seems odd that swearing at a woman amounts to a charge of indecent assault? Are you sure he didn't grope her, got told to f off and then gave her a gobful?

Veterans List
    It seems odd that swearing at a woman amounts to a charge of indecent assault? Are you sure he didn't grope her, got told to f off and then gave her a gobful?
    This is what confuses me.....if it was a simple case of just swearing at a women.....why is it going on so long? There may well be more to it.....and if so, Collingwood (and the cops) seem in no hurry to get to the bottom of it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This is what confuses me.....if it was a simple case of just swearing at a women.....why is it going on so long? There may well be more to it.....and if so, Collingwood (and the cops) seem in no hurry to get to the bottom of it.
    Fat chins has made some phone calls ......

Swearing is not, as a rule, a crime. It certainly isn't indecent assault. Definitely more to those allegations.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I just had a look at the article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-swans-stood-down-taylor-but-pies-let-de-goey-play-20200916-p55wcl.html.

There is some serious disingenuity. It is repeatedly stated that Collingwood and De Goey don't know anything about the details of the crime he is charged with. For instance:

Collingwood, on the other hand, do not know the detail of the allegations against their player. De Goey and his lawyer Tony Hargreaves have not yet received the brief for the charge, despite several requests.
    Collingwood's position is that they cannot stand down De Goey when the club does not know the nature of the allegations. De Goey has told the club he does not know what happened to bring the charges.That the police have not yet detailed the charges against De Goey has taken the decision on his immediate playing future out of Collingwood's, and the AFL's, hands.

Once the Magpies know what's been alleged against their star, they will have to make a call. It's easy to let him play when there's nothing specific to defend.

This is such bollocks! While it is possible De Goey has not received the brief of evidence, he and his lawyer will certainly have a copy of the facts the police alleged when the charge was laid. This will set out the details of the crime the police are alleging. Without this the charge could not have been laid. The brief contains the evidence and gives a clearer indication of the strength of the case, not the details of the allegations.

Despite this, there are some valid points and it may well be a reasonable decision not to stand De Goey down. If the club have no idea of the strength of the case and he could be facing years before the case is resolved and he may or may not ever be found guilty, I think that is a reasonable basis to allow him to keep playing in the interim.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

No. Kinnear didn't get it wrong.
    The kid has awesome football skills - we're a football club, remember.
    Pity he has just pissed them up a wall.
    I doubt he was classed a dickhead at the recruitment level.
    He was chosen on his football abilities - which he has in abundance.
    Such a pity he chose the wrong path.
    Absolutely it is considered at the recruitment level - otherwise why interview players? Why meet with the family?

As such a champion of the No Dickheads policy I'm surprised you think picking players with good temperament is just luck!
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Absolutely it is considered at the recruitment level - otherwise why interview players? Why meet with the family?

As such a champion of the No Dickheads policy I'm surprised you think picking players with good temperament is just luck!
    The kid was deemed to have a "good temperament"... otherwise he wouldn't have been picked up.
    Sometimes, kids just do REALLY stupid things.
    Like allegedly hit a woman.
    He won't be here next year anyway, so it's a moot point.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

To think we gave him the famous Adam Goodes number 37!

Elijah Taylor

I think the thing with Elijah is that he is racking up repeated mistakes, despite all the help. He has so far two potential assaults, plus a breach of wa covid laws, despite express instructions. One off mistakes can be dealt with, but repeated can mean the person can’t be changed.
    I think this is the sad, underlying issue.

To keep him in the hub wouldn’t have achieved anything - just kept him from making more poor choices for a short while.

It was the right call to stand him down, but hardly a difficult one given he was already away from the hub and suspended for the rest of the season anyway.

Menzel now in trouble...

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast