Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 18: the other games. Get out your calculators.

With the number of ex swans at st Kilda, I'll be hoping they do well in the finals.

The abysmal performance by the Giants this year, and to some extent over their brief existence as a club, impels a rethink of what the true value is of the players to success of a team. GWS have had an endless stream of top talent coming to the club. They have traded off players worthy of a premiership, let alone the ones that remain.

There has to be a greater emphasis placed on the football department as a whole, rather than just the talents of the players, when projecting the chances of attaining a premiership. The competitive desire that is generated at the club and instilled in the players is more important than what the stat sheets might indicate.

Putting together a team that want to play together and want to win is greater than the superficial qualities of the individual players comprising the team. I suppose this can be generalised and labeled the culture of the club. I know that I will be looking more in this direction when evaluating a club and its individual players, particularly for the Swans. The goal is to build a quality team, not merely a collection of quality players.

Don't overthink it ludders.
    Team winning = good culture.
    Team losing = bad culture.

But I think you are right about the off field. It takes a long time to get right.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Don't overthink it ludders.
    Team winning = good culture.
    Team losing = bad culture.

But I think you are right about the off field. It takes a long time to get right.
    Correct...and I think at this stage and on this point, the Suns are ahead of the Giants.

Veterans List
    Titus is in his usual great form....this is his entire preview of the Hawthorn v Gold Coast match:

"Who cares?"

Also, his summation of Gary Ablett snr's rant on Covid is spot on:

"There was a bit of Geelong news when former superstar Gary Ablett Snr posted a rant claiming COVID was fake.

This was hardly news, remember when the Herald Sun gave him a two page column to deny evolution and claim all the problems in the world are the result of people not worshipping god?

A lot of people said they were concerned about Gary’s mental health, but I’m a bit more worried about the damage these views have on the rest of us, as it’s this nonsense that will lead to people in Melbourne being locked up even longer.

And before people jump in and say, we’ll don’t promote what he is saying, it’s out there everywhere, and people need to point out these views are not only flat out bonkers, but harmful."

Gary snr has a great footy story.....as for his life after footy? Not so great....

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/afl-...o-19-september

Senior Player
    Did anyone watch Dees v Dons?

Noticed Daniher had zero possessions in the first half, and 9 possessions and 6 marks in the second half.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Did anyone watch Dees v Dons?

Noticed Daniher had zero possessions in the first half, and 9 possessions and 6 marks in the second half.
    Yes, he was a fish out of water in the forward line in the first half but they let him run around a bit in the second half and he was influential in the Bombers last quarter fightback.

Melbourne, as usual, gave their long suffering supporters heart palpitations but they prevailed, thankfully. Let's hope that the Dockers put the Fairypuppies away tomorrow so that they can keep their spot in the 8.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Yes, he was a fish out of water in the forward line in the first half but they let him run around a bit in the second half and he was influential in the Bombers last quarter fightback.

Melbourne, as usual, gave their long suffering supporters heart palpitations but they prevailed, thankfully. Let's hope that the Dockers put the Fairypuppies away tomorrow so that they can keep their spot in the 8.
    I would also like to see the Dees make the finals, to give some cheer to their long-suffering fans. Go Dockers, go!
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I’ve thought that since their inception that GWS are a vastly different side with Davis out. He’s criminally underrated imo.

I don’t have their W/L ratio with him in or out but I’d put a wager on it being more effected by him than any other player on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With the number of ex swans at st Kilda, I'll be hoping they do well in the finals.
    Agree. I’m just about a surrogate saints supporter at this stage as most of my good friends support them. Hope they win the flag. They get some success, and I get to argue it doesn’t really count this year. Win win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Agree. I’m just about a surrogate saints supporter at this stage as most of my good friends support them. Hope they win the flag. They get some success, and I get to argue it doesn’t really count this year. Win win!

Yes, and you could use the argument, that the shortened season suited St Kilda, because they almost always peak before round 15 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post

Though counting on the Dockers to do you a favour, may be where madness lies.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, and you could use the argument, that the shortened season suited St Kilda, because they almost always peak before round 15 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Though counting on the Dockers to do you a favour, may be where madness lies.
    The Dockers winning wouldn’t surprise me. They play a style that could topple the dogs . They’ve been the most impressive young side this year, us second . ( Gold Coast have been good but are ahead of both teams in rebuild, or should be anyway ).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast