Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 18: the other games. Get out your calculators.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    The more I think about this season, the more I think its a less than reliable guide as to how next season will play out.
    I agree. Port were never top 4 predictions by anyone before the year began, but they somehow worked out a system which works in hubs, and I think (?) They'll get home finals in Adelaide right through to the granny.

May not be up there again next year though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    No, a dream run is being a media darling club with 100,000 members that gets to play the Grand Final at it's home ground and
    has never had a player leave to "go home".
    True but Giants had a glut of high draft picks to play with. Something missing.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Starting to wonder if the Suns have already held their Mad Monday? Pathetic performance from what I've seen. And unless they wake up, it means that we'll finish with pick up 3, as Hawthorn are already well clear of us on the live ladder. Though of course, if we have a shock victory over the Cats, we then end up with pick 5, after jumping over the Suns.
    In theory, we could also end up above Hawthorn with a narrow loss if the game is high scoring (both sides over 100 points or so). In practice, that won't happen: this season is a low-scoring season due to the shortened quarters and wet weather is also predicted.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    True but Giants had a glut of high draft picks to play with. Something missing.
    They were awful for large chunks of the second half of the season. But the comment around having a terrible ruck division is a key part of their downfall, as it has been for us too.

One could alternatively argue what is missing at that club is a soul, but that might be a little harsh!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    They were awful for large chunks of the second half of the season. But the comment around having a terrible ruck division is a key part of their downfall, as it has been for us too.
    A rubbish ruck division also robs you of the get-out kick long down the line.
    One could alternatively argue what is missing at that club is a soul, but that might be a little harsh!
    Since we finished below fellow souless voids like gold coast, Carlton and giants, I'd be keeping that one to yourself. This is not the year to brag.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Since we finished below fellow souless voids like gold coast, Carlton and giants, I'd be keeping that one to yourself. This is not the year to brag.

mcs was only talking about GWS, who we beat. GWS played in the grand final last year, but this year were a rabble - fractured, dispirited - and missed the eight. Dropped the captain to nil effect. There's clearly something awry within the club.

No-one is bragging, but there is cause for optimism regarding our club, where a young squad who clearly enjoy playing with and for one another have improved over the year, playing increasingly attractive football.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    mcs was only talking about GWS, who we beat. GWS played in the grand final last year, but this year were a rabble - fractured, dispirited - and missed the eight. Dropped the captain to nil effect. There's clearly something awry within the club.

No-one is bragging, but there is cause for optimism regarding our club, where a young squad who clearly enjoy playing with and for one another have improved over the year, playing increasingly attractive football.
    Ignore the nihilist

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Ignore the nihilist
    That's uncalled for. I'm always grumpy after a loss, especially where we should have won.

Has nothing to do with this years results Barry, more that they are as close to a 'soul' free club as you can come to. Gold Coast not much better.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Has nothing to do with this years results Barry, more that they are as close to a 'soul' free club as you can come to. Gold Coast not much better.
    To be honest, I dont buy into that "culture" or "soul" business to much. Richmond (Ninethmond) didnt have a soul/culture 5 years ago , and then without much change, and group of players hitting mid-20's, they suddenly have a great 'culture' which equals numerous flags.
    They are able to attract recruits like Lynch and Prestia, not because of their culture, but because they can win a premiership.

I think winning => great culture, not the other way around

But if you say GWS and GC dont have a soul, then maybe it just takes time to get one. Does Freo have one yet ?

I feel, and I maybe wrong, that since we have been weaker than GWS for a few years now (not withstanding the game this year), we tend to cling to having a "soul" as blanket for one up-man-ship.
    To be honest, we had a great culture during the Roos era, and it carried on during the early longmire era. But is it still there. Its not helping us win games at the moment, and thats really all that matters.
    Last edited by barry; 21st September 2020 at 11:42 AM.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ... To be honest, we had a great culture during the Roos era, and it carried on during the early longmire era. But is it still there. Its not helping us win games at the moment, and thats really all that matters.
    We need "experienced" souls, not just exuberant souls?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    That's uncalled for. I'm always grumpy after a loss, especially where we should have won.
    .....but struggle to take out ANY positives for the future.....then lump us in with 'soul-less' clubs like Carlton and the Suns because we ended up lower on the ladder.....and continually defend the most soul-less club in the league.....it's tiring. Feel free to express your views but don't cry when there's inevitable blowback. Especially when you post to stir the pot. Don't deny it.....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast