Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Round 18: Swans v Cats

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    A slightly different take. He often uses his step and evasiveness to clear from congestion or step a man - which is good. But then rather than go ping, he keeps trying to do it again. And then gets jammed up.
    Spot on. First or second option should be taken, not third or fourth. Wonder, though, whether he just lacks game sense and vision.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    ... We're too nice guy ...
    At least the Weagles only get one home game
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Pick Three .... Papley

Shows that he has a future in list management. We'll thank him next year.
    I see that adulations are already pouring in.

Was this Papley's greatest ever performance? And I do mean performance.

It was strange how everything turned out just right on our final day of footy this year.

To add to the positive reviews of the game, I want to record one for the coaches.

Yes the players performed, but they performed to a plan which we seem to recognise as a Plan B, and as one that is both exciting and likely lead to successful results as the playing group mature.

The irony is that Dean Cox was a master ruckman, Stevie J a magician forward and Brett Kirk (apart from being an inspiration) was all about the midfield battle. It is the Ruck and Forward line and Clearances that remain the "work in progress".

So, congratulations to Horse for turning the game style around, and utilising his coaches so effectively.

His coaches interview after the Geelong game was another masterclass in positive and and determined comments, with some real enthusiasm for the benefits of the Hub to the young group. And, dare I say it, some praise for the AFL for getting the season to this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    So you think it’s OK to jump up and knee a guy in the head whilst the ball is only half way to the contest and then stand there waiting to take an uncontested mark? Somewhere between the obvious free I have outlined above and Warwick Capper is a line where it becomes illegal. “Too Early” the umpire said because the contact was NOT IN THE MARKING CONTEST. Hawkins was back down on the ground when the ball arrived. You could call it a “shove out” or “two actions” but whichever way it was a definite free kick.
    I can't understand why nobody seems to think a knee to the head is ok. If it were a bump he would be copping weeks for a deliberate hit to the head. if the AFL is serious about protecting the head, the obvious examples, like yesterday, are clearly in breach of their policy

The way the team played yesterday was exciting. at 3/4 time you could actually see the messages written on the white board for the game plan:
    - take the game on
    - protect the corridor
    - manage the clearance exits

they executed the plan well except for parts of the 3rd qtr when they went back to trying to switch the play in the backline. That game plan generally hasn't ended well for us due to poor skill execution

The jury is out on Ryan Clarke for me.

His last few games have been better, in particular the tagging job he did on Neale.

What frustrates me is when he gets the ball. It all turns to hopelessness at that stage and severely lacks decision making ability.

You only need to look at the last quarter - crucial time of the match, was running down the wing, not much pressure on him, Papley (our only forward at that time) leads, he is ignored and Clarke kicks the ball to 2 Cats defenders. I could accept a kick off the side of the boot but it was a pure kick.

The other great example of his poor decision making is to often give the ball to a team mate who is under more pressure (and a turnover results).

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    ... The other great example of his poor decision making is to often give the ball to a team mate who is under more pressure (and a turnover results).
    He's not the Lone Ranger there.
    This has been one of the my frustrations watching the game this year, hand balling to someone under more pressure than you. I console myself by saying they just need to time gel with each other and get used to the speed of the game.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Spot on. First or second option should be taken, not third or fourth. Wonder, though, whether he just lacks game sense and vision.
    All of what I said and you guys said. Gets it right and he is a gun. It's as if he is still playing Under 18's.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I don’t know how Mooney and Brereton with all their premierships can know less about football than a soccer player from New Zealand BUT....all their whining about why Hawkins was pinged really pissed me off. It was a clear free kick because the knee to the head was not in the marking contest. He landed on the ground before marking the ball. It had nothing to do with the Toby Greene rule it was an excellent (and brave!) call by the umpire. If anyone is watching the replay listen to the umpire call “it was too early”. Dimwits
    I thought we were lucky to get that free - although if you knee someone in the head...

Perhaps this decision was the 'even up' for the the incorrect 'in the back' decision earlier where Hawkins was gifted a goal.

good game to watch geelong vs the swans

judo at its best

Geelong absorbed our direct play

we took the game on direct

yet..........the cats redirected the push and redirected beautifully when it mattered !

elegant coaching by Scott and elegant absorption by the Cats with counter punch and no match at the siren by us

reminded me of the many 2-1 victories by many a soccer team that controls a game whether behind or in front during the game but nails iit in the final parts to win
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    good game to watch geelong vs the swans

judo at its best

Geelong absorbed our direct play

we took the game on direct

yet..........the cats redirected the push and redirected beautifully when it mattered !

elegant coaching by Scott and elegant absorption by the Cats with counter punch and no match at the siren by us

reminded me of the many 2-1 victories by many a soccer team that controls a game whether behind or in front during the game but nails iit in the final parts to win
    That’s not how I saw it. We should have put the game away in the 2nd Q. We were clearly the better side on the day but not on the scoreboard. And they could not defend our ball movement.