Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Round 18: Swans v Cats

I don’t know how Mooney and Brereton with all their premierships can know less about football than a soccer player from New Zealand BUT....all their whining about why Hawkins was pinged really pissed me off. It was a clear free kick because the knee to the head was not in the marking contest. He landed on the ground before marking the ball. It had nothing to do with the Toby Greene rule it was an excellent (and brave!) call by the umpire. If anyone is watching the replay listen to the umpire call “it was too early”. Dimwits

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I don’t know how Mooney and Brereton with all their premierships can know less about football than a soccer player from New Zealand BUT....all their whining about why Hawkins was pinged really pissed me off. It was a clear free kick because the knee to the head was not in the marking contest. He landed on the ground before marking the ball. It had nothing to do with the Toby Greene rule it was an excellent (and brave!) call by the umpire. If anyone is watching the replay listen to the umpire call “it was too early”. Dimwits
    He is a strange unit sometimes. It looked to me that he deliberately went with the knee. And he whinged for the whole game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    J Mac is becoming a favourite of mine ! Great finisher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fantastic poise. Bodes very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    It's been a surprisingly fun season this year. I've enjoyed watching our young players develop and there are promising signs for the next few years if we can hang onto them.

I've had fun... and I am soooo looking forward to being at the SCG again next year.

Thanks to everybody here for their contributions, I love being here and reading all the comments. There are some really knowledgeable and great fans on this site.

Till next time...cheer cheer.
    Well said; agreed.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    While checking the stats, I noticed that Stephens clocked up 14.1 kms for the game. I thought that seemed notably high, so I checked the tracker data for this round's other games. The second most distance covered for the round, was by Ryan Clarke today; who managed 12.9 kms. Young Dylan also topped the game stats for pressure acts, with 24. When you also factor in his often very good ball use, speed and good decision making, that adds up to an excellent day's work. I can see him becoming a definite favourite, over the next season or two.

I can't recall if any other youngster had a stand out performance this round, as the games a starting to blur a bit, but hopefully that's enough for a rising star nomination.
    Agreed: the dude is a gut runner, but quick too. Bring on the longer quarters.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Stephens is a ripper isn’t he.

Andrew Gaff with better kicking skills. Genuinely quick, runs all day, terrific skills, makes space and willing at the contest. He’s still got to gain some strength over the ball, but that’ll come.

Between he and McInerney, a cracking pair of wingers. We’ve lacked that for the last decade bar Hanners, but we’ve got two beauties.

I remember there was a view we’d reached a little on Stephens and a lot on McInerney. Our recruiters did it again.

As for the talk re McDonald, I’d love him, but either Adelaide or North would be mad not to grab him first. I hope they both do something stupid, but struggle to see it.
    I still think of Chris Judd watching Stephens - that fast, direct running with his head up.

Agree that he and McInerney are a cracking pair of wingers - Justin's foot skills are terrific, he's courageous and a great shot for goal on the run. Seems a popular character too.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Robbo wasn't happy either: "Tom Hawkins was penalised for an infringement in a marking contest. The umpire was heard to say Hawkins jumped “too early”. How does that work? Moments before the ball arrived, Hawkins jumped, his opponent Tom McCartin was in front and turned to front Hawkins and was collected in the head by Hawkins’ knee. No studs up, McCartin misjudged the kick, Hawkins marked it and the umpire penalised Hawkins."

Category: | Herald Sun

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Florent is a big worry - he seems to me a smooth runner and gets to all the right spots for pressure and overlap running but lacks polish. I am sure they probably knew it when they drafted him which is why the emphasis on getting good kicks after drafting him.
    This is one of a number of similar summaries on Florent before he was drafted:

Florent is a lightly-framed, fast midfielder who uses the ball very well, especially by foot. This is particularity noticeable in congestion, as he has a great ability to baulk opposition players and get clear, before using his sharp kicking skills to pick out a teammate.
    He was a joint winner of the beep test at the recent AFL combine and finished top-10 in agility, running vertical jump (left foot) and clean hands test.
    Florent is also great at putting on defensive pressure and laying tackles in the forward 50.

Florent was known as a good kick. I agree that Florent has been inconsistent with several parts of his game. His kicking has been a problem in the 2nd half of this season. These things tend to work out. He will address the problems in the off season and expect he will come back in 2021 and have a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Yeah, you’re right. I was being flippant. I like him. He tries his guts out & I enjoyed the way he went about his role on Neale last week. As a coach, you’ve gotta love a player who follows instructions to a T - so I reckon they appreciate this part of his game. But then again, there are times when instinct and skill need to kick in, & this is where he can often be found wanting. Can you teach this?
    Short answer no. Long answer - not really. He will always have limitations in his play - its whether we have a role that will fit him perfectly going forward or not that is the question. I'm not sure we do - but I'm happy to see him be around the club and find out, because he can do a job, and if he isn't seniors quality long term, then that will quickly become apparent as younger brigade take over from him.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Agree with all of the optimism on here.

Congratulations to Longmire producing such exciting football and the overseeing the development of a close nit squad, playing with belief. Really excited to watch us next year, with the younger plsyers more physically developed and having had more time to work on that running game.

This game felt a little to me like the signs a young team gives a year or two before they challenge. Just missing the size and power; and a key forward. Papley kicked for goal poorly, but he was otherwise outstanding one out in the F50, always marking or bringing the ball to ground.

A few mentions: I thought Dawson was superb today - some fantastic marks, great kicking, found a lot of it. Cunningham was excellent too - he's become such a dependable contributor. It was good to see Melican play well again - he's had a good last month or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is one of a number of similar summaries on Florent before he was drafted:

Florent is a lightly-framed, fast midfielder who uses the ball very well, especially by foot. This is particularity noticeable in congestion, as he has a great ability to baulk opposition players and get clear, before using his sharp kicking skills to pick out a teammate.
    He was a joint winner of the beep test at the recent AFL combine and finished top-10 in agility, running vertical jump (left foot) and clean hands test.
    Florent is also great at putting on defensive pressure and laying tackles in the forward 50.

Florent was known as a good kick. I agree that Florent has been inconsistent with several parts of his game. His kicking has been a problem in the 2nd half of this season. These things tend to work out. He will address the problems in the off season and expect he will come back in 2021 and have a great year.
    I think it's more a decision-making thing than a skill thing. Agree he'll work it out.

Veterans List
    I agree on the decision making. I think what happens he doesn't take the first option and gets himself into trouble, and hence is under pressure when kicking at times.
    Many times he doesn't run in a straight line when he should. Goes sideways a lot and tries to take on the player in a wrong situation. Should be able to get the decision making right.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And speaking of age, I just had to check, McCartin is still only 20. Another couple of years, and he should be one of comp's best key defenders. Probably had the better of today's duel, with the soon to be crowned Coleman Medallist.
    Yes, can only get better. That tackle was perfectly executed and should have been rewarded not given a bs push in the back. Game changing poor decision.

Not that we need more rules, but maybe it’s time to look at a captain’s challenge for incorrect decisions that can lead to momentum swings? I hate seeing teams penalised by wrong calls.

Veterans List
    A few weeks back I was wanting the season to hurry up and finish but now that it's over I can't wait for 2021. You can see how we want to play. We might not be able to execute it perfectly at the moment but it's exciting to watch. Hopefully next year with some injury luck and no covid training restrictions, we will be a more consistent and cohesive team.