Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Season review

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Why would we

Said all year that our younger players paled in comparison to other clubs at this stage of their careers. NoB our best and he wasn't close to cracking that team, especially that midfield.
    McCartin is a better player than either of the King brothers who have to be the most overrated players I’ve seen for many a year.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    McCartin is a better player than either of the King brothers who have to be the most overrated players I’ve seen for many a year.

Perhaps , but he spent most of the yr playing the same role as the Kings and not getting near their numbers. Only went back and started performing well in rd 14

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    My review would be:

Wins/Ladder position: When backwards by about one game, and couldnt even finish about Hawthorn who are falling off a cliff. Did beat Norf (basket case) and Adelaide (new coach, cleanout coming). Fail.
    Games into kids: Had a good look at all the new kids, and while no new elite, all look promising. Rowbottom and Blakey standouts. Win.
    Mid tier players Finally found a good spot for Cunningham and Fox. Florent held his own. Papley staying. Mills stayed in the backline. Heeney missing. Pass.
    Older players: Didnt see much of Rampe. No buddy. JPK's days in the midfield almost over. However Reid played most of the season. All these players are near the end.
    2020: Very odd year, with most games at night in dewy conditions which we usually hate. Dont take much notice of results, especially the form of marking players.
    Ruck: Still a shambles, and no sign of anyone stepping up. Will have to trade or draft in. This will cost us something.
    Review of 19/20 trade and draft period: In hindsight we came away quite well. Didnt sell the house for JD, and Stephens and co look good pick ups. Still look at Tom Green from GWS with envy. Overall a win.
    List holes Still a major problem that will need addressing for any significant climb up the ladder, no matter how good the kids are.

Near future: Continue to build up the list via draft and available free agents, however the list holes (ruck, key forward, JPK replacement) will need to be seriously addressed in next 2 years if we want to play finals again.
    The lack of a quality tap ruckman combined with very ordinary clearances have, in my opinion, been our "achilles heel" which has resulted in our defense being under a lot of pressure, not withstanding the fact that Sinclair has tried his guts out in every game. However, I have been rapt with Harry Cunningham's performances this season in his defensive rebounding role.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thinking of our 22 and unders there is only McCartin and as noted he didn't play consistently well and McInerney didn't play many games so Rowbottom would be the only one maybe under consideration (I can't remember if he was in the top 40) and there was pretty stiff competition for mid spots.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think we’ll see a strong representation from our club in that team ( 22 under 22) over the next couple of seasons.
    +1

Rowbottom, McCartin, McInerny and Stephens are all fair chances for next year I'd say.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 22nd September 2020 at 06:46 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Thinking of our 22 and unders there is only McCartin and as noted he didn't play consistently well and McInerney didn't play many games so Rowbottom would be the only one maybe under consideration (I can't remember if he was in the top 40) and there was pretty stiff competition for mid spots.
    Blakey, Florent and Hayward also eligible.

It's an accurate illustration of where our list is at. One, maybe two with the potential to be elite if you believe Blakey will come on as we hope. The rest just young players who show promising signs here and there. Definitely not enough to stack up against the rest of the teams we will have to defeat if we are to win the flag.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Club has posted this: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/817596/swans-stats-leaders-in-2020. Have I been too harsh on Parker? Maybe he's still at/close to his best?
    Parker past his best! I must have been watching a different team in red and white. IIRC he is the one who wears no.26. The leader of the pack in the absence of a group of experienced players, the first player tagged by the opposition that played his guts out every week. If that's over the hill I want more of that in 2021.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Parker past his best! I must have been watching a different team in red and white. IIRC he is the one who wears no.26. The leader of the pack in the absence of a group of experienced players, the first player tagged by the opposition that played his guts out every week. If that's over the hill I want more of that in 2021.
    +1

To think there are supporters out there that will slag off a servant like Parker and then treat a newcomer like Rowbottom as the second coming of Christ.

Very confusing.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Blakey, Florent and Hayward also eligible.

It's an accurate illustration of where our list is at. One, maybe two with the potential to be elite if you believe Blakey will come on as we hope. The rest just young players who show promising signs here and there. Definitely not enough to stack up against the rest of the teams we will have to defeat if we are to win the flag.
    Didn't we lose 5 or 6 games by less than 10 points with a severely depleted team and the youngest team in the comp. Doesn't take a lot of improvement to turn that around. Port Adelaide went from 9th las year to top at the end of this season.

Suspended by the MRP
    Didn't we lose 5 or 6 games by less than 10 points with a severely depleted team and the youngest team in the comp. Doesn't take a lot of improvement to turn that around. Port Adelaide went from 9th las year to top at the end of this season.
    Those wins were on the back of outstanding performances from our reliable leaders - Parker, Lloyd, Rampe, Mills, Papley.

Take them out and this team would not have won a single game.

Senior Player
    Yeah, agreed.

Parker will be top three in the Bob Skilton Medal..

Here's what I think the top ten will be, FWIW:

Lloyd
    Parker
    Papley
    Dawson
    Cunningham
    Rampe
    Mills
    Kennedy
    Rowbottom
    McCartin

Veterans List
    There will be snipers on the roofs waiting for me to walk out my front door tomorrow after I say what I am going to say, and there is a grassy knoll that I walk past in the morning. But here it goes: I don't think Hayward has improved one iota in 2020. Yes I know he played a good negating game on Haynes of GWS but so did many others. But he hasn't given anything else. Maybe he has shown a bit more courage, however, he goes missing for way too long in a game and gets beaten one on one on the few occasions the ball goes in the forward line, and he is there for a change. His howler on Sunday pretty much summed up his footy smarts. Justin McInerney has just gone past him at a hundred miles an hour.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast