Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact of Soft Cap reduction - changes to coaching and support staff for 2021

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Very mixed messages about Johnson. I think there is a general anti-johnson feeling among most swans fans due to numerous incidents during his playing days.
    GWS had groomed him for coaching role from the day they brought him in.
    Sydney "stole" him when he retired. Maybe the Tom Harley connection brought it about.
    GWS finally get him back.
    He obviously is intending to stay in Sydney (the city).

GWS wanting, losing, and then poaching him back probably speaks louder than some player scuttlebut.
    GWS must not have been watching any of our games this year, our fwd line has been just as @@@@ as theirs.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Regular in the Side
    More interested to discuss the future than what Johnson did. With his departure, there can be a few possibilities.
    1. Not to replace him with any new personnel and have some existing staff to share his duties,
    2. To get someone who was stood down this year like Tadhg or Perris to come back or
    3. Get someone new. (Davis who was our goal kicking coach is very happy at the Academy now; Adam Schneider from GWS; ...)
    4. Not sure how many more games Buddy can still play for us but he is interested in coaching. So perhaps he can act as a player/ volunteer assistant coach for as long as he can. He may need other coaches to help a little but it should not cost us anything in the reduced soft cap. I think it may have a very good prospect.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    So you obviously know more than GWS about Johnson and their decision to hire him. And they only hired him because he is best mates with Toby Greene? Sorry mate, you've lost me. Deluded rubbish.
    I think it's entirely possible that there will be people who through their work or connections will be party to what may be called
    "inside information" that are also interested enough in footy to be a regular contributor to things like RWO. Sometimes there
    will be a crossover of those two things. It's probably not the end of the world. It's up to readers whether they want to believe
    what is written of course as it always is.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

GWS must not have been watching any of our games this year, our fwd line has been just as @@@@ as theirs.

The only argument that makes all stories plausable, is that their is a little bit of friction in the swans camp about the number of Geelong old-boys Harley has brought in. And when one of them saw the chance to jump, he did.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post

Thank you for providing a classic quote from the best movie ever made.

I'm happy to see the back of him. I wouldn't mind us replacing him with a coach who isn't on his training wheels. I guess there'll be a fair few experienced heads around - our young group could do with a bit more guidance from an experienced coach IMHO.

Veterans List
    The only argument that makes all stories plausable, is that their is a little bit of friction in the swans camp about the number of Geelong old-boys Harley has brought in. And when one of them saw the chance to jump, he did.
    Let's face it, that is purely a theory.....which may be accurate but just as feasibly is not. If true, with Playfair gone last year and now Johnson gone, there's only one Geelong person left besides Harley, Gardiner and neither coach.....so the boys must be a lot happier now.

That SJ always wanted to coach at his Giants and came to a real football club to get some real experience before returning to GWS is probably closer to the actual truth.

Of course, that is also speculation on my part.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 24th September 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Gossip very poor indication of facts.
    He did have access to the Swan's scratch match videos. He clearly knows someone close to the club. I would hazard a guess, but then I would be cutting off the source of information which interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Let's face it, that is purely a theory.....which may be accurate but just as feasibly is not. If true, with Playfair gone last year and now Johnson gone, there's only one Geelong person left besides Harley, Gardiner and neither coach.....so the boys must be a lot happier now.

That SJ always wanted to coach at his Giants and came to a real football club to get some real experience before returning to GWS is probably closer to the actual truth.

Of course, that is also speculation on my part.
    He's definitely closer to a senior coaching gig at the Giants than at the Swans, if thats his end game.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I think we need a forward coach poached from a team which has coached a successful forwarded line, ie one that can post match winning scores. He must be experienced enough to be able to tell Big John that the role of the forward line is not to disappear up field to prop up the back line, under any circumstance; that the mids and half back lines default kicks into the forward line are to seek out leading players, to aim to drop the ball in front of a player or over the back, not on top of their heads or directly to the opposition. The chaos kick into the forward line is a last resort not the norm!

Veterans List
    He's definitely closer to a senior coaching gig at the Giants than at the Swans, if thats his end game.
    Definitely.....

Regular in the Side
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/coa...23-p55yij.html
    "It's one of those situations where footy departments are tightening," Harley said. "There was an opportunity we couldn't be in a position to guarantee in this point in time a role.
    "With the reduction in soft caps and reduction of roles, the industry has to be cognisant to keep as many good people in the industry as you can.

"He has some history there and goes with our blessing. He gave us three really good years looking after a young developing forward line. A positive is he continues his coaching career and his family stays in Sydney."

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/coa...23-p55yij.html
    "It's one of those situations where footy departments are tightening," Harley said. "There was an opportunity we couldn't be in a position to guarantee in this point in time a role.
    "With the reduction in soft caps and reduction of roles, the industry has to be cognisant to keep as many good people in the industry as you can.

"He has some history there and goes with our blessing. He gave us three really good years looking after a young developing forward line. A positive is he continues his coaching career and his family stays in Sydney."
    How many club CEOs can use the word "cognisant" like Harley?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast