Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15 years ago today

15 years ago today

Paul Roos raised the cup and exclaimed "Here It Is!!!!" What an emotional day for all long suffering Swans supporters, young & old.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Fun fact.

I was high up in the stands, diagonally at the opposite end of the ground to where Leo took the mark. We were so far away all we saw was the blur of a pack of bodies in the distance. I had no idea of the magnitude of the mark. I wasn't even sure who took it at first, let alone how good it was. For all I knew for half an hour it was a free kick.

It wasn't until four hours later, after beers at an outdoor venue and hearing everyone else's version of it, that I made my way to a pub and finally saw it on replay. Four freaking hours.

Leo Barry - You Star!
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I was so nervous at three quarter time I had to go outside and do some gardening. First time in 30 years i'd pulled up a weed.

Uncanny!!! My exact viewing & experience of Leo's mark as well. I was seated in top deck of Southern Stand in Bay M53 Row V Seat 6 (still have ticket of course). Didn't see how magificant Leo's mark was till l saw it later that evening in Clarendon St pub with dozens of screaming Swans fans. It left me spellbound and in awe to an already emotional state.

How time flies.
    Happened right in front of me.
    Thanks Big Cox for the best kick ever.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Paul Roos raised the cup and exclaimed "Here It Is!!!!" What an emotional day for all long suffering Swans supporters, young & old.
    It was a day I never thought would happen. I just thought the odds of a northern club winning a premiership in the (V)FL were too difficult to overcome.
    Brisbane only won it based off a combined side, and concessions from the merger.

As it stands, no Northern club has won it since salary cap concessions have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It was a day I never thought would happen. I just thought the odds of a northern club winning a premiership in the (V)FL were too difficult to overcome.
    Brisbane only won it based off a combined side, and concessions from the merger.

As it stands, no Northern club has won it since salary cap concessions have been removed.
    Great memories.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Uncanny!!! My exact viewing & experience of Leo's mark as well. I was seated in top deck of Southern Stand in Bay M53 Row V Seat 6 (still have ticket of course). Didn't see how magificant Leo's mark was till l saw it later that evening in Clarendon St pub with dozens of screaming Swans fans. It left me spellbound and in awe to an already emotional state.
    Nice!

My other really vivid memory after the siren was everyone around us jumping around like lunatics . . . hugging, screaming, crying, high fiving.

Except for one person. An old codger at the game with his son, who was just six months old when the Swans won their prior flag. He'd waited his whole life to actually see a flag won. He just sat there, staring into the distance, with a serene smile on his face. Didn't move an inch for five minutes.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I was seated on the fence next to the point post right where he took the mark. Watched the ball coming really worried West Coast would mark and kick the goal to beat us. Leo came from nowhere. Was absolutely fabulous.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Three of us were perched near to where KSAS and I'muninformed2 were, having trouble to catch what was happening. The crowd reaction soon sorted that out!
    And "Here it is!" repeatedly rings in my mind, even 15 years after.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Me too. I had to walk up and down the street to get my heart rate and breathing under control!

Veterans List
    When the siren went, which you couldn't hear anyway, I just jumped on my then wife on the couch, in front of the in-laws, hugging her and writhing in sheer delight until I realised it probably looked like I was dry humping her....so I stopped.

It was possibly the happiest moment in my life to that point. The following days and weeks were 'Cloud 9' material. I want that feeling again.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast