Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15 years ago today

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I was there too - 2 levels up, forward flank where Cox launched his fateful kick. Had an absolutely perfect view of Leo's mark front on. Seconds later I was hugging my old man who was 70 at the time so had never seen a Swans' flag either.

Not that I heard it at the time - because I was at the 'G - but I've heard Steve Quartermaine's iconic call so many times since. Last time I heard it was just last weekend, on a countdown on SEN. Even now, without fail, I get goosebumps every time I hear it - "Leo! Leo Barry you STAR!". Without fail. In fact I'm getting goosebumps now just writing it.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I was there too - 2 levels up, forward flank where Cox launched his fateful kick. Had an absolutely perfect view of Leo's mark front on. Seconds later I was hugging my old man who was 70 at the time so had never seen a Swans' flag either.

Not that I heard it at the time - because I was at the 'G - but I've heard Steve Quartermaine's iconic call so many times since. Last time I heard it was just last weekend, on a countdown on SEN. Even now, without fail, I get goosebumps every time I hear it - "Leo! Leo Barry you STAR!". Without fail. In fact I'm getting goosebumps now just writing it.
    Was at the game. Didn't hear the siren when it went. Took a week for it to sink in. Watched the DVD so many times that in the end knew just about every play. Became a much less bitter man!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    When the siren went, which you couldn't hear anyway, I just jumped on my then wife on the couch, in front of the in-laws, hugging her and writhing in sheer delight until I realised it probably looked like I was dry humping her....so I stopped.

It was possibly the happiest moment in my life to that point. The following days and weeks were 'Cloud 9' material. I want that feeling again.....
    I guess at least it was you on the couch. Mrs Tigers was hugging some bloke sitting next to her at the game...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I guess at least it was you on the couch. Mrs Tigers was hugging some bloke sitting next to her at the game...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So your telling me that that the stunning blond next to you was a West Coast supporter.

September 24, 2005 was my 42nd birthday. I had moved to Melbourne for the love of a good woman two years earlier and had two very small children. I had always been a supporter and went to many games when I lived in Sydney. Admittedly, usually as a corporate box guest but I was genuinely a fan. My passion for the game and particularly the red and white went to another level living in Melbourne.

I wasn't a member but my partner surprised me with a black market ticket the day before (what a present - she paid $300 for it off a child care worker whose whole family were AFL members affiliated to some other club). I had an awesome seat in the AFL members enclosure and remember having one of the best days of my life starting with 9:00 am beers at the Rising Sun on Raglan Street, South Melbourne (my work local at the time).

Been a member ever since and have managed to raise four Swans fans along the way. I remember being very confident after BBB Hall scored with a 50 metre bomb early in the 4th quarter. What a day. Interestingly, during the first COVID shutdown when Foxtel had nothing but replays I watched the game again for the first time in 10 years and got goose-bumps like I was watching live.

To join in the reminiscing:

My interest (and subsequent passion) for the Swans was just blossoming in 2005 (having moved to Sydney in 2000).

I was down the coast in the Jervis Bay area (NRL territory) on the magic day and boarded a bus to return to Sydney during the final quarter of the match. The driver had the match commentary playing over the loud speaker (which perhaps indicated his own interest) but switched it over to some commercial radio crap as passengers settled in their seats.

I called out to him to leave the footy on, and was supported by (just) one other person. And the driver did ...

And we two passengers (and maybe more) clapped and cheered when the final siren sounded.

And I’ve been rusted on ever since .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    September 24, 2005 was my 42nd birthday. I had moved to Melbourne for the love of a good woman two years earlier and had two very small children. I had always been a supporter and went to many games when I lived in Sydney. Admittedly, usually as a corporate box guest but I was genuinely a fan. My passion for the game and particularly the red and white went to another level living in Melbourne.

I wasn't a member but my partner surprised me with a black market ticket the day before (what a present - she paid $300 for it off a child care worker whose whole family were AFL members affiliated to some other club). I had an awesome seat in the AFL members enclosure and remember having one of the best days of my life starting with 9:00 am beers at the Rising Sun on Raglan Street, South Melbourne (my work local at the time).

Been a member ever since and have managed to raise four Swans fans along the way. I remember being very confident after BBB Hall scored with a 50 metre bomb early in the 4th quarter. What a day. Interestingly, during the first COVID shutdown when Foxtel had nothing but replays I watched the game again for the first time in 10 years and got goose-bumps like I was watching live.
    Great story.

If i may indulge:
    When the final siren rang, the heightened emotions running through me was just too much to deal with and i wept thinking of my dad who passed away few years earlier, not able to share this moment with him. Family also rang me with the same thoughts which made it worse and felt embarrassed, only to see Swans supporters around me doing the same! When Roos said the immortal words "Here It Is!!!" i let out a raw primeval scream venting out lifelong scars of struggles and near extinction for the club I've loved since birth. Didn't leave the MCG till i was politely asked to do so by security as the ground plunged into darkness and looking at the scoreboard one last time as it was powered off.

Met up with non Swans friends outside the G who then whisked me away to a Footscray Pub which had a framed South Melbourne No.14 Jumper, which i paid immediate homage to. However i didn't stay long as i was compelled to get to my old haunt Clarendon St and got cab there. The night was amazing as i did pub crawl bumping into people i know and got to see Leo Barry's mark properly as i'd posted earlier. The joy & adrenaline was running so high i only had 2 beers for the entire night. I sang the club song in front of the South Melbourne Town Hall which was draped in red & white. Caught last tram/train home & bought all the Sunday Morning papers as they were being delivered at my local 7-11. Got little sleep before heading off to Albert Park in the morning to join in the Premiership celebrations (got to touch the holy grail as Roosey paraded it among the adoring crowd). Saw Bobby Skilton being lifted on cherry picker to hoist Swans flag on top of the old Grand Stand as we were barred entry into the ground by the soccer club (Hellas).

Had the following week off as prearranged with my kind boss (Saints supporter) if we'd won, which i spent buying up premiership souvenirs, watching the Premiership Parade in Sydney and Grand Final DVD on continuous play. Utter Red & White indulgence!!!
    Last edited by KSAS; 30th September 2020 at 07:03 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    If i may indulge:
    When the final siren rang, the heightened emotions running through me was just too much to deal with and i wept thinking of my dad who passed away few years earlier, not able to share this moment with him. Family also rang me with the same thoughts which made it worse and felt embarrassed, only to see Swans supporters around me doing the same! When Roos said the immortal words "Here It Is!!!" i let out a raw primeval scream venting out lifelong scars of struggles and near extinction for the club I've loved since birth. Didn't leave the MCG till i was politely asked to do so by security as the ground plunged into darkness and looking at the scoreboard one last time as it was powered off.

Met up with non Swans friends outside the G who then whisked me away to a Footscray Pub which had a framed South Melbourne No.14 Jumper, which i paid immediate homage to. However i didn't stay long as i was compelled to get to my old haunt Clarendon St and got cab there. The night was amazing as i did pub crawl bumping into people i know and got to see Leo Barry's mark properly as i'd posted earlier. The joy & adrenaline was running so high i only had 2 beers for the entire night. I sang the club song in front of the South Melbourne Town Hall which was draped in red & white. Caught last tram/train home & bought all the Sunday Morning papers as they were being delivered at my local 7-11. Got little sleep before heading off to Albert Park in the morning to join in the Premiership celebrations (got to touch the holy grail as Roosey paraded it among the adoring crowd). Saw Bobby Skilton being lifted on cherry picker to hoist Swans flag on top of the old Grand Stand as we were barred entry into the ground by the soccer club (Hellas).

Had the following week off as prearranged with my kind boss (Saints supporter) if we'd won, which i spent buying up premiership souvenirs, watching the Premiership Parade in Sydney and Grand Final DVD on continuous play. Utter Red & White indulgence!!!
    Great post. I ended up at pub in South Melbourne. Fantastic scenes of jubilation. When I got home, my kids said I looked like I was in shock. I just sat down and watched the replay. Bigger than Texas!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    If i may indulge:

Wonderful post KSAS!

You and I may well have crossed paths as I, too, spent time at a packed South Melbourne Hotel, watching the replay and endlessly singing the club song. I also drove down Clarendon St and past the South Melbourne Town Hall. I then went to Albert Park the next morning. And like you, I had a good old cry numerous times during the following week.!

Veterans List
    First time watching the replay in the afterglow of the actual event was such a joyous experience......pure bliss!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast