Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archibald Prize

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    No, it was this one.

2014 archibald adam goodes portrait - Bing images

Was amazed to find out it was so long ago (2014). Just had an SMS discussion (with the friend who took me - as her client - to the exhibition the year we saw it together) about which year it was, before resorting to an internet search.

I prefer it to the one that's just won this year, though the one you linked through to is also decent enough. My favourite portrait of his is "Be Brave", as someone else nominated earlier in the thread. I never got to see the original of that one. Sadly the print I have of it is quite small. I would have loved to have seen the original, which I believe filled half a wall.
    Yes, Be Brave is probably my favourite. And a touch ironically, the 2014 portrait, was done by an artist named Alan Jones.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I usually don't like to indulge in pedantry, because I make many mistakes of my own, but Be Brave was painted by Matt Adnate. It was entered in the Doug Moran Prize.
    I just read 'Doug Morans' Be Brave somewhere.....thanks for the correction Deja.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, Be Brave is probably my favourite. And a touch ironically, the 2014 portrait, was done by an artist named Alan Jones.
    Very unfortunate name. The broadcaster Alan Jones is one of if not the biggest germ in the country.

Senior Player
    Vincent Namatjira is the great grandson of Albert Namatjira, who is without doubt the greatest indigenous Australian artist
    of the first half of the 20th century in my opinion.

I just don't like the Namatjira painting at all. Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.
    IMO, Adnate's Be Brave is so much better - considering it was done with spray paint.
    I have The Dance and Be Brave (my framed print is a pretty decent size, Liz - it should be, it cost me enough), but I wouldn't put the Archibald winner on my wall.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12