Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archibald Prize

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Archibald Prize

Goodesy is the subject of the painting that won this year's Archibald Prize!

Veterans List
    I was very pleased about this.....but then I saw the painting. I am all for indigenous rights and closing the gap, I'm all for artists drawing attention to important issues and I know art is subjective but I just don't think it's a very good painting. Sorry. The one that won the 'packer's prize', the self portrait by another indigenous painter (and actor), Meyne Wyatt, is much better IMO.

Hopefully this doesn't bring on another Sky News/Murdoch Press lead revolt against Indigenous issues and Goodsey himself.....because you just know Bolt will be penning something right now.

Hearty congratulations to the artist all the same.

Archibald Prize

I share stevoswan’s opinion of the relative merits of the two paintings - main prize winner and packers’ award.

Though for me the outstanding work amongst the finalists is a painting of the indigenous artist Richard Bell by Julie Fragar - full of character and depth.

Also, there is another Swans’ connection in the final showing - a painting of Adam Spencer by Samuel Rush Condon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Here's a link to a story that includes the picture.

Archibald Prize won by Vincent Namatjira with self portrait alongside Adam Goodes

He's become a popular subject for portraits. Hanging on the wall behind me is "Dance" by Adam Cooper, and I have "Be Brave" in my study. There was an entry into the Archibald a few years back that made the final showing in the AGNSW. I also read there was an entry featuring Adam last year but I didn't see it in the exhibition.

And a link showing all the finalists ...

Archibald Prize finalists 2020 :: Art Gallery NSW

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I was very pleased about this.....but then I saw the painting. I am all for indigenous rights and closing the gap, I'm all for artists drawing attention to important issues and I know art is subjective but I just don't think it's a very good painting. Sorry. The one that won the 'packer's prize', the self portrait by another indigenous painter (and actor), Meyne Wyatt, is much better IMO.
    If you judge it by photo-realism then yes, but the winner has some significant art behind the abstract style. (ie its not supposed to be a photo)
    Hopefully this doesn't bring on another Sky News/Murdoch Press lead revolt against Indigenous issues and Goodsey himself.....because you just know Bolt will be penning something right now.
    Sure as the sun sets in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Here's a link to a story that includes the picture.

Archibald Prize won by Vincent Namatjira with self portrait alongside Adam Goodes

He's become a popular subject for portraits. Hanging on the wall behind me is "Dance" by Adam Cooper, and I have "Be Brave" in my study. There was an entry into the Archibald a few years back that made the final showing in the AGNSW. I also read there was an entry featuring Adam last year but I didn't see it in the exhibition.
    This is the portrait from 2017, that you're probably referring to; and which I really like.

Former Newcastle woman Megan Adams enters portrait of Adam Goodes in Archibald Prize | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And a link showing all the finalists ...

Archibald Prize finalists 2020 :: Art Gallery NSW
    And there is another Swans connection in there, with quite a nice portrait of well known Swans fan, Adam Spencer.

Veterans List
    "Be Brave" by Doug Moran is the best Goodes portrait IMO. A real beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    "Be Brave" by Doug Moran is the best Goodes portrait IMO. A real beauty!
    I usually don't like to indulge in pedantry, because I make many mistakes of my own, but Be Brave was painted by Matt Adnate. It was entered in the Doug Moran Prize.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Perhaps we should have our own competition for best Goodesy portrait. There's heaps of them!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-.../12347694?nw=0

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    This is the portrait from 2017, that you're probably referring to; and which I really like.

Former Newcastle woman Megan Adams enters portrait of Adam Goodes in Archibald Prize | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW
    No, it was this one.

2014 archibald adam goodes portrait - Bing images

Was amazed to find out it was so long ago (2014). Just had an SMS discussion (with the friend who took me - as her client - to the exhibition the year we saw it together) about which year it was, before resorting to an internet search.

I prefer it to the one that's just won this year, though the one you linked through to is also decent enough. My favourite portrait of his is "Be Brave", as someone else nominated earlier in the thread. I never got to see the original of that one. Sadly the print I have of it is quite small. I would have loved to have seen the original, which I believe filled half a wall.
    Last edited by liz; 25th September 2020 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast