View Poll Results: Who will the Swans take at #3?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ugle-Hagan

1 4.55%
  • MacDonald

4 18.18%
  • Hollands

7 31.82%
  • Thilthorpe

8 36.36%
  • Phillips

0 0%
  • Other: Please specify

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft - Pick #3

2020 Draft - Pick #3

Who are people hoping we select with Pick #3?

I do enjoy watching lots of footage in the lead up to the draft, and though there's not much recent footage available on the Vic kids, it looks like it'll be a good draft. These are some of the latest general summaries:

AFL Draft Power Rankings Key forwards jostling for No. 1 rank

Cal Twomey's 2020 Phantom Form Guide: September update

Who do you like?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Up until recently, I would've gone for a tall but thinking about recent history, we have struggled at the contest. If Phillips is the second coming of Rowell (or even 90% as good), we should take him. Rowbum and Phillips extracting, Stephens, Blakey and Campbell outside run, Gulden and Papley snapping goals. And a few random big guys (?Buddy) making up the numbers for our next flag!

The projected draft order will most likely follow Adelaide as they have the first pick and seems likely to pick a big man. Most project Ugle-Hagan to go at #1, which would mean giving the pick (and prestige) to Bulldogs as they have priority access to him.

So the likely selections as I see it:

Adelaide: MacDonald/Thilthorpe
    Bulldogs: Ugle-Hagan
    Kangaroos: Hollands (? - Best midfielder)
    Swans: ?

I'm hoping that the Roos go for a midfielder because I really, really want/need a good key forward. I can't recall any draft where the first 3 picks were key forwards, but all 3 look pretty good.

I suspect that Thilthorpe will be the one to drop to us, which I would be very happy with. They say he is a ruck/KP, but watch his vision. He is a KP. He is incredibly quick, he is kicking snaps on left and right foot and the last kick of his vision has him kicking a banana from 40m out on the boundary. The only reason he's playing ruck is because he's 200cm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq878dN7F3E
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Up until recently, I would've gone for a tall but thinking about recent history, we have struggled at the contest. If Phillips is the second coming of Rowell (or even 90% as good), we should take him. Rowbum and Phillips extracting, Stephens, Blakey and Campbell outside run, Gulden and Papley snapping goals. And a few random big guys (?Buddy) making up the numbers for our next flag!
    I think Phillips is the safest bet in the draft. I just wish he was bigger. We seem to have alot of the same type on the list at the moment, adding Parker to Rowbottom.

Everything I've seen and read for Hollands is a roll of the dice. Considering the position of the club and draft history of the Roos, it'll be interesting to see who they pick - if they go with a sure thing or roll the dice with a KP or Hollands.

I’m no expert but take an interest in reading and watching as much as I can about the draftees. Given the limited information we have due to Covid, I do believe there is a clear top 5 - Ugle-Hagen, McDonald, Hollands, Phillips.

Obviously, Ugle-Hagen is unavailable. Personally, I’m happy with any of the remaining four. Not to say that they’ll all succeed but based on current evidence, each one has serious talent.

Thilthorpe is my least desired but this is being picky. A 200cm forward ruck who can kick off both feet I can deal with.

I think our most pressing positional need is KPF, so I hope that either McDonald or Thilthorpe will be still available at our pick. If not, I'll settle for the best or second best midfielder. Preferably one that spends more time inside, than outside.

The other thing I was going to post was the recent history of high KP picks in drafts and their success:

1. Jonathan Patton
    2. Stephen Coniglio

1. Tom Boyd
    2. Josh Kelly

1. Paddy McCartin
    2. Christian Petracca

1. Weitering
    2. Schache
    3. Mills
    4. Oliver

There's also the converse argument where, despite being highly touted, Brodie Grundy went at #18.

Looking at Riley Thilthorpe vision it’s highly unlikely he will be there by the time our draft position comes.
    Jamara highly touted but apparently Logan’s numbers are reaching stratosphere for a KPF. And Riley looks like he can be an absolute star if he develops well. He has a great kick and vision for a KPF. We would be lucky if we get one from that list. I think we will end up getting Elijah Holland.

Will Phillips vs Tanner Bruhn? Does everyone think it’s a done deal that Will Phillips is higher rank than Tanner. I thought that Tanner was better albeit on 3 min highlights package !

Highlight reels are not a representative sample of games but crikey, Thilthorpe moves well for a guy 200cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    The other thing I was going to post was the recent history of high KP picks in drafts and their success:

1. Jonathan Patton
    2. Stephen Coniglio

1. Tom Boyd
    2. Josh Kelly

1. Paddy McCartin
    2. Christian Petracca

1. Weitering
    2. Schache
    3. Mills
    4. Oliver

There's also the converse argument where, despite being highly touted, Brodie Grundy went at #18.
    You can add Lewis Johnston to that list who we drafted with our Pick 12 in 2008 & was touted a top 10 pick.

However Riley Tilthorpe's vision does look very enticing & what we need for KPF looking forward post Buddy/Reid & McCartin as permanent KPD. Even more so if we don't land JD as RFA.

It is true that there have been several KPF flops with high picks. However, in contrast to this, there have also been very, very few dominant KPFs taken lower in the draft. Ben Brown is one of the few lower draft picks to have kicked 60+ goals.

Hawkins was F/S and Dixon a zone selection so hard to know where they actually fit but if you think of the other best KPFs currently in the comp, they all went high. Buddy, Lynch, King Bros, Cameron, Josh Kennedy, Naughton, Riewoldt, McKay, Curnow.

Big risk taking McDonald or Thilthorpe but big reward and even greater risk relying on lower draft KPFs.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Other: "ROK is hot"
    The staple "other" option for years. ;-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast