Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Dead right 'Bloods - same thing happened last year, the team was far better performed with Kennedy's presence than without (see last years equivalent of this thread).
    It's not just his disposal count, his presence improves the aggregate performance of the midfielders

JPK may only have a couple of years left, I have no idea how his body and mind are holding up - but older players careers usually ended by a diminution of speed and/or frequent soft tissue injuries, and neither apply to JPK. So he's our best option as a "mid field bull" - and I am likewise unsure where the next one is coming from.
    Hewett seemed to possibly be on the right trajectory (moving beyond tagging) before injury, while Mills and Heeney are apparently needed elsewhere. Not to worry though, even if these options don't pan out such such kids seem to be drafted ready-to-play so we could get one in the next draft or two and they'd still be ready for our 2023 grand final team.

Pet Peeve of the week - Why do we call a player a "Mid field bull"? What was wrong with the term "ruck rover"?
    Indeed. It makes me nervous that we will run Parker into the ground once JPK retires. We must find another midfield superstar ready to play and dominate by round 1 of our first year without JPK. While Hewett is a good player, I doubt he is that superstar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I still have hopes for Warner - 19 years old, 2 games last year, 1.81cm and 80 kg.

This time last year the goss was about Longmire having a word to him about his aggression. I noticed him on Wednesday training, and he retains that feel.
    Looked terrible at the highest level in his few appearances last year.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I still have hopes for Warner - 19 years old, 2 games last year, 1.81cm and 80 kg.
    This time last year the goss was about Longmire having a word to him about his aggression. I noticed him on Wednesday training, and he retains that feel.
    Was the word in question "increase" or "control" your aggression?
    I too have hopes for the lad - not everyone in the midfield can or needs to be an A grader. Much better to have a posse of 8 players capable of running though the midfield, than having just 4 attending 90% of the centre bounces, as Horse has tended to allow happen.

Back to Warner, wasn't there some comments after his first two games about him needing to develop his tank?
    Last preseason and through to his debut, some RWOers were pumping up the kid on these boards, then after his second quietish game in the firsts, there was an unseemly hush as some jumped ship.
    I know it's a feature of a difficult and for many, extremely disappointing, year - but still it can be a bit OTT sometimes. I prefer to do my frenzied barracking at the game, it's apparently good for the blood pressure overall.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Agreed, but then McInerney and Naismith both had awfully bad first games.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 11th January 2021 at 11:58 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Indeed. It makes me nervous that we will run Parker into the ground once JPK retires. We must find another midfield superstar ready to play and dominate by round 1 of our first year without JPK. While Hewett is a good player, I doubt he is that superstar.

- - - Updated - - -

Warner looked ok and like he has a future. Strong body, does all the 1% they make a midfield great. Kind of player a coach loves.
    He's style of play means it's year 3-4 that we'll see him start to really stand out. Similar to Hewett.

Wouldn't that make him more than 3½ metres tall?.
    Mountain Man listed him as 1.81cm which I could see being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Mountain Man listed him as 1.81cm which I could see being an issue.
    Nah, competitive advantage, can scurry through the legs of opposing players and very hard to tackle!

Thank you Meg - I might try to make an error in future; instead of just making one

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Nah, competitive advantage, can scurry through the legs of opposing players and very hard to tackle!
    May not be much of a ball carrier though. Or tackler. Kicking might lack penetration. And not ideal for manning the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Worked for Ben McG

I'm hoping that the best 22 at the end of the year looks a bit different to the best 22 at the start.

We have a few players who will be best 22 R1 who either have a low ceiling that they have reached (or approaching) or are on a decline.

If players like JMac, Gould, Ling, McLean and to a lesser extent, Gulden, Campbell and McDonald have not surpassed by season's end, then we won't be threatening anytime soon.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Feel like offering your low-ceiling list for discussion?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Feel like offering your low-ceiling list for discussion?
    Low ceiling is a bit harsh. I should've expressed it in terms of potential to improve. For the team to improve, we need improvement in the individual positions within the team. This occurs either by the incumbents improving or those on the fringe improving such that they become the better players.

Hope that Gould can move past Melican. He's alot more talented and has a higher ceiling.

I like Clarke, an honest hard worker. But if he never plays another game because JMac, Gulden and Campbell move ahead convincingly, it means our team is improving.

Hayward has stagnated the last 2 seasons and does not threaten enough. Eventually McDonald will play KPF for us but it would be great if he is good enough to play Hayward's medium role initially.
    McLean for Reid / Sinclair.

Cunningham is a great player but if Ling could play well enough to beat him for the small lockdown / running defender, that would be massive for us. I think Ling had massive potential that had been stymied by injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Cunningham is a great player but if Ling could play well enough to beat him for the small lockdown / running defender, that would be massive for us. I think Ling had massive potential that had been stymied by injury.
    Cunningham is miles ahead of Ling at the moment. Can't see this changing for a long time (if ever).

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast