Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    My concern in this current AFL regime is having to many inside mids in the traditional sense that are not multi dimensional in different positions. Getting exposed against the quick teams has serious downside playing so many slow inside mids on the field at the on time.

Our depth and roles are looking better, but i sense we need some more class in the mids ie one more 21 to 24 yr old traded in....... that really add to high level football use and takes us up the ladder. Moving up from 16th on the ladder we need more quality experience plus we cant rely on Bud etc to be there and win us 3 games by himself !

Draft / Trade In 2020 = 4 spots ?

Pick 3 ? or a traded in high level player?
    Campbell
    Gulden?
    P.McCartin?

B Mills Rampe Cunningham
    HB Lloyd AA Dawson
    C Florent Rowbottom Blakey
    HF Heeney Franklin McInerny
    F Papley Reid Hayward
    Foll Sinclair Parker Kennedy
    Interchange McCartin, Stephens, Hewett, Fox

23.Thurlow
    24.Campbell?
    25.Gulden?
    26.Taylor
    27.Brand
    28.Oriordan
    29.Gould
    30.Clarke
    31.Warner
    32.Ling
    33.Wicks
    34. McLean
    35. Oconnor
    36. Knoll
    37. Melican
    38.P.McCartin?
    39. PICK 3 ?

on the way out at least 11 players:

Ronke - trade late 50s?
    Foot
    Maibaum
    Stoddart
    Reynolds
    Gray
    Rowles
    Amartey
    E.Taylor
    Bell
    Naismith?
    Bell and Maibaum the unlucky ones there. Maibaum has impressed me in reserves, but perhaps he's going to fall off the list without an opportunity in the first 22.
    I'd keep Bell, though. And perhaps Naismith gets one more chance?

I'd love to see Will Gould given a run in 2021. Just not sure exactly what his role would be, who his competition is and who he could displace. He just seems to be a little in no where land - not quite tall, fast or fit enough but has made up for it in junior footy with his strength, competitiveness and disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'd love to see Will Gould given a run in 2021. Just not sure exactly what his role would be, who his competition is and who he could displace. He just seems to be a little in no where land - not quite tall, fast or fit enough but has made up for it in junior footy with his strength, competitiveness and disposal.
    Forward. Plenty of vacancies.

Regular in the Side
    Can Will be developed into a Josh Kennedy Type? Their height and weight are similar and he can be strong and competitive too. He will need a strong pre-season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Can Will be developed into a Josh Kennedy Type? Their height and weight are similar and he can be strong and competitive too. He will need a strong pre-season though.
    He could be a wrecking ball in the mids. He is a big lad, a fair amount of strength with huge hands. Agreed that he'd need to work on his tank. There's been no indication of a change of position for Will, but stranger things have happened.

I'm quite surprised at this. Surely Gould's best position is defence, and I think that's where we'll most likely see him deployed. I don't know why he hasn't played this year but I think he has enough speed and height. And our defence is not the hardest it's been to break into like when Teddy, Reg, Smooch, Macca and Rampe were playing together. Currently, Rampe (when fit) is about the only absolute lock in our defence and there are a whole bunch of players in the mix for the other defensive positions and Gould can contend for the positions played by the likes of Fox and Thurlow who have been in our best 22 most of our recent games.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

So, going into the draft, a potential 22:

Rampe Melican Cunningham
    Dawson McCartin Mills

Heeney Kennedy Blakey
    Hickey Parker Rowbottom

Papley Reid Franklin
    Florent Sinclair Hayward

McInerney Hewitt Stephens Campbell/#3

Probably need to think about another defender into the mix—Fox or Thurlow at the expense of one of the tall forwards?

Maybe too many talls with Reid, Sinclair and, hopefully a fit Buddy (but I'd like to see Sinclair as a forward and secondary ruck, at least for a few weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    So, going into the draft, a potential 22:

Rampe Melican Cunningham
    Dawson McCartin Mills

Heeney Kennedy Blakey
    Hickey Parker Rowbottom

Papley Reid Franklin
    Florent Sinclair Hayward

McInerney Hewitt Stephens Campbell/#3

Probably need to think about another defender into the mix—Fox or Thurlow at the expense of one of the tall forwards?

Maybe too many talls with Reid, Sinclair and, hopefully a fit Buddy (but I'd like to see Sinclair as a forward and secondary ruck, at least for a few weeks).
    Interesting line up. You seemed to have forgotten the reigning Bob Skilton medalist though...

I still think we need to play Mills in the midfield. Put Lloyd at HBF, Mills in the middle and drop Campbell/#3.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Interesting line up. You seemed to have forgotten the reigning Bob Skilton medalist though...

I still think we need to play Mills in the midfield. Put Lloyd at HBF, Mills in the middle and drop Campbell/#3.
    I did! How funny. Your version feels more balanced, and pretty smart across HB. I'm interested in how I am less upset now by Aliir's departure than I was a couple of days ago.

Make us look like we've got a bit of a team, although I would also be looking towards a level of improvement from Hayward, and to a resumption of Heeney's development. I was a bit more positive about Florent's work in 2020 than many who post here.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I did! How funny. Your version feels more balanced, and pretty smart across HB. I'm interested in how I am less upset now by Aliir's departure than I was a couple of days ago.

Make us look like we've got a bit of a team, although I would also be looking towards a level of improvement from Hayward, and to a resumption of Heeney's development. I was a bit more positive about Florent's work in 2020 than many who post here.
    Yeah it's ok on paper but plenty of weak spots.

Ruck - shocking
    Buddy/Heeney/Reid - injury prone or coming back from long term injury
    Melican as key defender
    JPK getting old

I struggle to see how we can play Sinclair, Buddy and Reid in the same forward line. Too slow and won't apply enough forward pressure. Given the injury profile of the 3, especially Buddy and Reid, it's likely only 2 of the 3 will be fit at any given time. Also, still not writing of Cal to give Hickey a good run for his money as our number 1 ruck, given he played 2020 injured.

My 22 for R1 FWIW
    B Cunningham Rampe Mills
    HB Lloyd McCartain Dawson
    C Stephens JPK Florent
    HF Blakey Buddy Heeney
    F Papley Reid Hayward
    Foll Hickey Rowbum Parker
    Res Fox McInerney Hewett 2020 Draftee

If Buddy not fit for R1, Sinclair.

I agree with RD that I don't want us to play Sinclair, Buddy & Reid in the forward line together, even though I think Reid and Buddy apply reasonable pressure. I think we only play Sinclair as a second ruck if one of Buddy or Reid is out.

I think it remains to be seen whether Melican will start in Round 1 - hopefully he will, but his form has been up and down. Obviously the fact we have extended him for another 3 years is a big show of faith.

I'm curious about whether McCartin settles in defence or not. He has excelled in the KPD role, but is it easier for us to cover that with someone else (like Brand or Gould) and send him back forward?

One of the things I like best is that there is decent depth outside the 22. Lots of players who have shown they can come in and play a role when called upon to do so when injuries or drop offs in form hit.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast