Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Your post makes several excellent points, but having watched him since his first ressies game I am unable to concur with your assertion that "Jake Lloyd is actually a beautiful long raking kick"
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Our best 22 is not settled. We have a lot of young players who have played no games or just a few.

I expect the 2021 season will be similar to 2020 - a lot of inexperienced players being rotated through the side, given a few games and then dropped for what some would say are mysterious reasons. The reason why they're being dropped isn't really a mystery: we can only pick 22 players, and when it's someone else's turn to get a game another player needs to make way.

We have maybe 30 players who would be considered the "best 22" but as yet we don't know exactly who they are. The only way to find out is to give them games against quality opposition.

Furthermore, best 22 in 2021 and best 22 that will contend for our next premiership are not the same group of players because we're not likely to be top four in 2021. It may take a couple of years and by then a few of our best-22 veterans will have retired: Kennedy, Franklin, likely Parker. And when Franklin's salary is off our books we would be in a position to poach free agents from other clubs.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Our best 22 is not settled. We have a lot of young players who have played no games or just a few.

I expect the 2021 season will be similar to 2020 - a lot of inexperienced players being rotated through the side, given a few games and then dropped for what some would say are mysterious reasons. The reason why they're being dropped isn't really a mystery: we can only pick 22 players, and when it's someone else's turn to get a game another player needs to make way.

We have maybe 30 players who would be considered the "best 22" but as yet we don't know exactly who they are. The only way to find out is to give them games against quality opposition.

Furthermore, best 22 in 2021 and best 22 that will contend for our next premiership are not the same group of players because we're not likely to be top four in 2021. It may take a couple of years and by then a few of our best-22 veterans will have retired: Kennedy, Franklin, likely Parker. And when Franklin's salary is off our books we would be in a position to poach free agents from other clubs.
    Yep. It’s all potential for now. I am sure the recruitment goes with future retirements, injury concerns for existent players etc in mind. But there is heaps of potentially very good players. A few have to take the next step to be graded excellent. And the opportunity for that next step starts soon.

Veterans List
    Oops....wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Yep. It’s all potential for now. I am sure the recruitment goes with future retirements, injury concerns for existent players etc in mind. But there is heaps of potentially very good players. A few have to take the next step to be graded excellent. And the opportunity for that next step starts soon.
    I don't think we are as far away as you think. Several ex premiership players have picked us to make the eight. That is because they rate our list very highly. Get a bit of experience back in the side and it will be a far different team. Remember that last year we had no Buddy, Heeney, Rampe, Big Sammy and Hewett and Kennedy spent 3 or 4 out too. Just those players alone would make a heck if a difference

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Several ex premiership players have picked us to make the eight.
    Which ex players? Could you supply links?

For me the competition at training will be much more competitive which is a significant change in skill development and hunger to train your best

Our bottom group of players 18-21ish yrs of agewill be applying the blow torch as they are a stronger more talented bunch than this time 2020.....especially the likes of Logan, Errol, Braeden added to the emerging talent pool.

McDonald, Gulden, Gould, McLean, Blakey, Warner, Stephens, Campbell Ling, McInerney, Bell, Sheather, Wicks will be pushing the likes of Dawson, McCartin, Oriordan, Melican, Ronke, Gray, Squizzy, Brand, Clarke etc

Where we are vs the serious young talent at other clubs I have no idea........
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

PS Bud turns 34 yrs of age at the end of this month.

With a year off, I am excited to see how he returns and what role/s he plays with our forward line up.

Buddy Franklin, Reid, Heeney, McDonald make for a tough combo to take one on one.................and I suspect this combo could force the hand of a few teams to over compensate their defence which is nice for us.

Three forwards who can take the ball at the top of the pack and one champion who may still have some speed in the legs?

Blakey, McCartin and Dawson no doubt floating in for some minutes in the forwards also is not a bad back up when injuries strike

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

With a year off, I am excited to see how he returns and what role/s he plays with our forward line up.

Buddy Franklin, Reid, Heeney, McDonald make for a tough combo to take one on one.................and I suspect this combo could force the hand of a few teams to over compensate their defence which is nice for us.

Three forwards who can take the ball at the top of the pack and one champion who may still have some speed in the legs?

Blakey, McCartin and Dawson no doubt floating in for some minutes in the forwards also is not a bad back up when injuries strike
    I used to think that about the Buddy, Tippett, Reid combination ... and their bodies were younger then. Come to think of it, Lockett and BBBH had a similar appeal. Not since Pratt & Nash has our forward line fired with multiple genuine key position stars ... and even that side probably failed to deliver on its potential

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Remember Papley?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I used to think that about the Buddy, Tippett, Reid combination ... and their bodies were younger then. Come to think of it, Lockett and BBBH had a similar appeal. Not since Pratt & Nash has our forward line fired with multiple genuine key position stars ... and even that side probably failed to deliver on its potential
    I can't think of a single pair of Swans key forwards other than those two - actually for most of my supporting life the Swans have lacked a single key forward star.
    And whenever there's been a good double act it's always been one key forward and a great support act, ie:
    Hall and O'Loughlan
    Lockett and O'Loughlan
    Capper and Morwood
    Roberts and Morwood
    On at least one occasion in that period the clubs not given out a goalkicking medal at all, because so few goals were kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Remember Papley?
    absolutely - a gun

Was looking at players that can help our exits and control field position via marks at the top of a one on one contest etc..........which we have nice mix if Heeney can sustain week in week out with that Ankle recon etc and Logan has the tank to keep up