Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

The natural tendency of most match committees at the start of a new year is to give the established players first crack as long as they have been half decent in the off season. Conversely, a newbie will have to have an absolute cracking summer to force their way in.

By my reckoning, there is only one truely open spot in the team - a small forward to complement Paps with Errol, Belly and Wicksy competing for the spot.

Errol's 3Q has got him in front but there's still this week's trialto go.

I tend to agree with Auntie Gerald's side. There are several good players left out in it like Haywood or promising ones likes Campbell and McDonald. That's not to say that they won't receive games across the season. We have to remember that rarely is our best side available. Injuries are always a concern. I seem to remember that the years when we won premierships were characterised by unusually good runs with injuries. If our best side is available then we can compete effectively against anybody but with injuries we come right back to the field (especially if Buddy misses a lot of games again).

Does that mean “old” McDonald is more likely to get a game before Buddy is back? Or will they play Reid and Sinkers instead? I did see Logan taking one ruck contest on Saturday

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    The natural tendency of most match committees at the start of a new year is to give the established players first crack as long as they have been half decent in the off season. Conversely, a newbie will have to have an absolute cracking summer to force their way in.

By my reckoning, there is only one truely open spot in the team - a small forward to complement Paps with Errol, Belly and Wicksy competing for the spot.

Errol's 3Q has got him in front but there's still this week's trialto go.
    How was that passage when he laid three tackles, got the loose pill and kicks the ball long to Paps to goal? Almost made me cry. Rampe was pretty damn excited too.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    How was that passage when he laid three tackles, got the loose pill and kicks the ball long to Paps to goal? Almost made me cry. Rampe was pretty damn excited too.
    Yes, that was exhibit A for the case of why he should be in the team.

And from watching academy games, I've been hugely impressed by his ability to get to contest after contest. I've seen him do things like: he won a clearance in the defensive pocket and got a hand pass away to a team mate; after the ball was punted to a contest on the wing, he arrived to receive a hand pass and punted the ball to the forward flank; after the ball spent a few seconds in dispute, he gathered the loose ball and snapped a goal.

It was remembering things like that, that made feel confident that we got a real draft bargain, when we picked him up earlyish in the second round.

My best guess at R1 team:

Lloyd Melican Rampe
    Cunningham McCartin Dawson
    Blakey Mills Stephens
    Parker Reid Heeney
    Papley Sinclair Hayward
    Hickey JPK Florent
    Hewett Gulden Rowbottom Ling

McInerney
    Campbell
    Wicks

Gulden pushes Wicks out. Buddy to replace Sinclair when he's ready. The emergencies to fight Ling and Gulden and Stephens for their spots (or whoever isn't in form). McDonald can build up in the reserves for a bit. It's a bit conservative but still young and gives best chance of winning. Gives a berth to those with runs on the board and aims to promote continuity rather than chopping and changing from week to week so players can feel secure in having their spot.

Will be great watching ECVFL footy this year! This could be the team:

COR Brand BOC
    Gould Fox Carruthers
    Clarke Sheather McInerney
    Taylor McDonald Bell
    P. McCartin McLean Wicks
    Amartey Warner Campbell

Gray Ronke Hebron Silvagni
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Agree with your team except Ling. Can't see him getting a game in Round 1.

Will be between Fox and Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Lloyd Melican Rampe
    Blakey Mills Stephens
    Parker Reid Heeney
    Papley Sinclair Hayward
    Hickey JPK Florent

McInerney
    Campbell
    Wicks
    Amongst players who played last year the ones under most pressure would be

Cunningham
    Hayward
    Wicks
    Bell
    Sinclair
    Reid

And the replacements are handy
    Ling
    Campbell
    Gulden
    Buddy
    COR
    McDonald

The other three should take notice too
    Hewett
    Mcinereney
    Stephens

I reckon the others are assured a spot already unless they have injury concerns

Out of the under pressure players 2-3 will miss round 1 and I guess that over the first 5 rounds those many spots that would be up for grabs each round barring injury and same position.

I hope they don’t pigeon hole Braeden Campbell into the HBF role. He should be given a chance of small forward too through the year. The combination of Gulden Campbell papley Heeney will be too potent for a forward line with variety.

I think Rowbottom has done enough of getting himself a run of 4 rounds this year and then review.

Fox Sports took a crack at the Round 1 teams: AFL 2021: Round 1 teams, every club best 22, predictions, lineups, injury list, Marlion Pickett, Eddie Betts, Jeremy Cameron

The most notable absences would be Hewett and Fox. Will we play 3 key forwards?

Probably most interesting is the Hawthorn team. Fox has Tom Scully playing even though he's retired. That's a bad sign for the Hawks. I don't think I'll cry just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Amongst players who played last year the ones under most pressure would be

Cunningham
    Cunningham is in the leadership group - no chance he is under pressure.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Lloyd Melican Rampe
    Blakey Mills Stephens
    Parker Reid Heeney
    Papley Sinclair Hayward
    Hickey JPK Florent

McInerney
    Campbell
    Wicks

Gulden pushes Wicks out. Buddy to replace Sinclair when he's ready. The emergencies to fight Ling and Gulden and Stephens for their spots (or whoever isn't in form). McDonald can build up in the reserves for a bit. It's a bit conservative but still young and gives best chance of winning. Gives a berth to those with runs on the board and aims to promote continuity rather than chopping and changing from week to week so players can feel secure in having their spot.

Will be great watching ECVFL footy this year! This could be the team:

COR Brand BOC
    Gould Fox Carruthers
    Clarke Sheather McInerney
    Taylor McDonald Bell
    P. McCartin McLean Wicks
    Amartey Warner Campbell

Gray Ronke Hebron Silvagni
    McInerney starred when he played late in the season. Provided he's fit, insanity if he's not in Round 1 team.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Agree with your team except Ling. Can't see him getting a game in Round 1.

Will be between Fox and Campbell.
    While I would be happy with Fox or Campbell to play I think Ling will play as he is expected to fill the Nick Smith roll.