Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    While I would be happy with Fox or Campbell to play I think Ling will play as he is expected to fill the Nick Smith roll.
    Great for us swans supporters ... it’s pretty clear the competition for spots is rising and as a result the standards of performance are going to rise. The ones not good enough will be out pretty soon.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    There’s been a lot of discussion, rightly so, about Mills to the midfield.

The other curiousity for me will be how we use Heeney this year once he’s back to full match fitness. We know he can be devastating as a third or fourth forward, and even lead up to the wings as a marking link.

But I’d still want to see him have solid stints on ball. He has a power and explosiveness that’s rare in our side, good kicking skills under pressure, and capacity to play both at centre bounces and on the wing. Plus, late in quarters, the smarts and talent to drift back as support.

I get the argument for letting him settle in a role, but I’d hate to see him lost to our occasional midfield mix.

I think Heeney will play the De Goey / Jarman style role, and be predominately up front with short bursts on ball. That game in Adelaide in Round 1 was the perfect example of it.

Can't see Fox forcing his way in, the coaching staff seem to see him as a depth option. Not to say that's true - I think he's deserving of a spot in an AFL 22, but he appears to be outside our future plans. With Rampe back, expect Ling to start over him.

While I would be happy with Fox or Campbell to play I think Ling will play as he is expected to fill the Nick Smith roll.
    The new 'statue on the mark' rule could give a big advantage to players with a good burst of speed, especially if they can take a mark against a slower player. But even if the statue is quick, the player who took the mark can run straight at the statue, and so long as he doesn't veer off line the statue can't move until the ump calls play on. So the player with the ball can just cut at a slight angle a couple of metres before reaching the statue and blow right past him.

This should favour players like Ling, Campbell and Fox, who are all quick off the mark and can also kick well. The Swans should be strong on the counterattack with the new rule in place this year. It's just a matter of good coaching and the players learning how to set up for the counterattack.

Even though he's hardly played in his 3 years at the club, Ling in this 4th year brings the experience of being around the club and the training sessions and knowing how the system works. He should ramp up quickly and play like an experience player after a dozen games or so. I hope we give him a chance to win a spot in the side.

I'd like to see Campbell and Gulden in the side, but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of Stephens and McInerney. We would like to give the new guns a quick start, but we don't want to arrest the development of gun players from previous draft years. It's a real dilemma.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    There’s been a lot of discussion, rightly so, about Mills to the midfield.

The other curiousity for me will be how we use Heeney this year once he’s back to full match fitness. We know he can be devastating as a third or fourth forward, and even lead up to the wings as a marking link.

But I’d still want to see him have solid stints on ball. He has a power and explosiveness that’s rare in our side, good kicking skills under pressure, and capacity to play both at centre bounces and on the wing. Plus, late in quarters, the smarts and talent to drift back as support.

I get the argument for letting him settle in a role, but I’d hate to see him lost to our occasional midfield mix.
    I would advocate for both Mills and Heeney being in our midfield mix. I am relieved to see at least one of those two will be involved this year. Likely Heeney too if he can stay fit.

Things come and go in footy but putting your match-winners on the ball never goes out of style. We only have three of these types in our team : Rampe Parker and Franklin. The latter barely plays these days. Joey is still one of the best mids in the comp but he is no longer the explosive talent that will pull sides over the line like Parker. That means Parker needs help. Having both Mills and Heeney in there will bring that. Both supreme talents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I would advocate for both Mills and Heeney being in our midfield mix. I am relieved to see at least one of those two will be involved this year. Likely Heeney too if he can stay fit.

Things come and go in footy but putting your match-winners on the ball never goes out of style. We only have three of these types in our team : Rampe Parker and Franklin. The latter barely plays these days. Joey is still one of the best mids in the comp but he is no longer the explosive talent that will pull sides over the line like Parker. That means Parker needs help. Having both Mills and Heeney in there will bring that. Both supreme talents.
    Its interesting about Kennedy. No doubt he isn't the force he once was, but I worry we haven't really found him some complementary elements to his game for his twilight years, and he might drop off pretty quickly from here at some point. The player I always think of in that regard is Jude Bolton. Transitioned nicely in his later years to find himself a genuine role up forward as well as in midfield - kicking almost 100 goals in total in his last four seasons. I had held hopes that Kennedy might head a similar way - he may still do so. Depending on how the rest of the list develops, he might just hang on for one final shot at glory if they can find another role for him. Not that it matters one iota if he doesn't - given what marvellous service he has given our club.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I thought Cunningham is the new Nick Smith?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its interesting about Kennedy. No doubt he isn't the force he once was, but I worry we haven't really found him some complementary elements to his game for his twilight years, and he might drop off pretty quickly from here at some point. The player I always think of in that regard is Jude Bolton. Transitioned nicely in his later years to find himself a genuine role up forward as well as in midfield - kicking almost 100 goals in total in his last four seasons. I had held hopes that Kennedy might head a similar way - he may still do so. Depending on how the rest of the list develops, he might just hang on for one final shot at glory if they can find another role for him. Not that it matters one iota if he doesn't - given what marvellous service he has given our club.
    Your last sentence says it all. Joey does not need any other facets to his game because he is so good at what he already does. This year I am anticipating he will again be our second-best mid. Just as he was last year. And just as he has been in every year he's been at the club where he's finished top 3 in the B&F. If Mills makes the impact that lives up to the hype then Joey could be third. But that is still quite the feat for a veteran. He has still got at least two more years of enjoying being in our top 3 midfielders.

He is not the force he once was i concur with that. Still a formidable opponent for mids to do battle with.

Just wondering everyone else's thought re the smaller agile body types that may keep creeping into our best 22

When we reflect on the fearsome fleas that dominate Richmonds very fast counter attack team, will the likes of Campbell and Errol sneak up on us as more valuable than we expected?

Im sure a few of us might have had reservations due to their stature but what I observed on the weekend with the new concrete still marker is that it nurtures more fast angled innovative play.

Short guys are generally very adept laterally and can peel off short sharp off balance kicks left right and centre. It could be we see a trend towards smalls that expose the new rules and less inter change?

Wicks
    Paps
    Campbell
    Errol
    etc smaller and zippier and dangerous on the ground and in tight spaces

Campbell and especially Errol looked fairly at ease in the trial.

Wicks looked aggressive and intense.

Paps just easing in.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

The potential Reserves Team suggested by BloodSpirit looks mighty strong! It even suggests that Ronke and Gray will be on the interchange for the Reserves which shows they are way off senior selection at present - playing for their careers in 2021.

"Will be great watching ECVFL footy this year! This could be the team:

COR Brand BOC

Gould Fox Carruthers

Clarke Sheather McInerney

Taylor McDonald Bell

P. McCartin McLean Wicks

Amartey Warner Campbell

Gray Ronke Hebron Silvagni"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The potential Reserves Team suggested by BloodSpirit looks mighty strong! It even suggests that Ronke and Gray will be on the interchange for the Reserves which shows they are way off senior selection at present - playing for their careers in 2021.

"Will be great watching ECVFL footy this year! This could be the team:

COR Brand BOC

Gould Fox Carruthers

Clarke Sheather McInerney

Taylor McDonald Bell

P. McCartin McLean Wicks

Amartey Warner Campbell

Gray Ronke Hebron Silvagni"
    Warner and Bell will be in the rd 1 team

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Warner and Bell will be in the rd 1 team
    Wanna bet? I'll certainly take my hat off to you and heed your opinions in future much more if you're right. We shall see.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)