Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No, very clear, 21 years of age or under, 10 career games or less. On what he showed in four games last year, Matt Rowell is a shoe in, unless he has a large chunk of the season out with injury
    Clear, but illogical and not an accurate method of determining a 'rising star'. Any criteria that allows a 21 year old in his third year on an AFL list to be eligible for the same award as an 18 year old in his first year on an AFL list is a deeply flawed criteria.

Nevertheless I concur with your statement on Rowell. The boy would've been a serious, serious contender for the Brownlow last year, an enormous feat for someone potentially still on his L plates.

Like a few posts above, I am a big rap for Stephens. He should develop into a great running link man with his elite endurance and is certainly suited to the modern game and its evolving rules. There will be a lot of competition for spots in the team, esoecially across half-back, midfield and half forward.

Its looking promising for Hickey in the ruck which will be great as we have lost in that position for several seasons due to the Naismith injuries. It will be interesting to see whether Sinclair can hold a position as a forward/second ruck in the same team as Hickey. I feel he may struggle to do so and may end up in the Reserves waiting for an injury.

Perhaps the biggest question mark is over our key forwards. There are serious risks with Buddy and Reid due to their lack of durability. That leaves a young, inexperienced MacDonald, Sinclair and McLean. We really need Buddy to stand up and Reid to play most games. That would give MacDonald a third tall role that would be ideal for his development.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    We have a lot of talented young players, but the one I'm most confident about is Stephens. There were some patches and quarters last year that made your eyes light up. Rowbottom will be a beauty, Blakey has surreal talent, and so on for others; but if I had to pick one that is a rock solid bet to be a cracking, consistent player for a decade, it's him. I'm prepared to bet he'll be a slightly different player, but as good as Hanners at his peak.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    According to the stats, he only played six. Which is surprising, since he debuted in round one. He's also got a rising star nomination, for his performance against Collingwood.
    Only six! I'm even more surprised. I thought he played most of their season....but I'll admit, I don't pay a lot of attention to the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Only six! I'm even more surprised. I thought he played most of their season....but I'll admit, I don't pay a lot of attention to the Giants.
    In the absence of a Swans side, I quite like their women's team.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    We have a lot of talented young players, but the one I'm most confident about is Stephens. There were some patches and quarters last year that made your eyes light up. Rowbottom will be a beauty, Blakey has surreal talent, and so on for others; but if I had to pick one that is a rock solid bet to be a cracking, consistent player for a decade, it's him. I'm prepared to bet he'll be a slightly different player, but as good as Hanners at his peak.
    His kicking looks as good as Hanners so you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I agree but would add McCartin into the mix. He looks like a class act that could hold down a key backline position for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I agree but would add McCartin into the mix. He looks like a class act that could hold down a key backline position for a decade.
    Definitely, and if he holds down that role, it should have the added advantage of allowing Rampe to become more of a rebounder.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Having Rampe as a 3rd tall would be a colossal luxury and wonderful insurance should either McC's or Pelican's opponents cut loose.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's a pretty good wrap, isn't it.
    But only attributed to a 'close friend' of Tim Watson.
    Matt Rendell , who has been in the system a looong time, reckons he's the best kick in the AFL.
    That's a pretty good wrap too.
    But I thought Rowell's start last year was the most impressive I've ever seen; and I was around for Carl Ditterich's first year , too.
    Anyway, I'll be watching Braeden Campbell with a fair degree of excitement.
    2121 could be a fun year, let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Hmm, personally I'd like to see a bit more match form.