Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Remember Papley?
    More legitimate targets up forward should provide more crumbing opportunities for Papley, that combined with a less attention, makes me think he'll have a boom year. Often last year he was our only forward and very heavily marked.

To stretch the thread of Best 22 further toward our best forward set up, I am so envious of Geelong's use of Hawkins as the ruck in forward throw ins/ups.

He rarely gets beaten; Geelong can set up with their smalls and attack the goal; meanwhile the genuine ruck is blocking off one of the exits; and thus 2 of the less-mobile players are out of the way.

I wonder if McLean is strong enough to perform the Hawkins role?

Our ruckman and say McCartin could block both boundary lines, and with the wonderful Rampe patrolling the middle, the odds increase on returning the exit ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    To stretch the thread of Best 22 further toward our best forward set up, I am so envious of Geelong's use of Hawkins as the ruck in forward throw ins/ups.

He rarely gets beaten; Geelong can set up with their smalls and attack the goal; meanwhile the genuine ruck is blocking off one of the exits; and thus 2 of the less-mobile players are out of the way.

I wonder if McLean is strong enough to perform the Hawkins role?

Our ruckman and say McCartin could block both boundary lines, and with the wonderful Rampe patrolling the middle, the odds increase on returning the exit ball.
    I'm also interested in how McLean shapes up. If he becomes a dangerous forward option and relief ruckman, it will be a bonus. If he doesn't quite shape up, there's always the option of playing Sinclair mainly as a forward. Although, much as I like his whole hearted efforts, Sinclair might be spending a fair bit of the season, as a leader of our VFL side.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm also interested in how McLean shapes up. If he becomes a dangerous forward option and relief ruckman, it will be a bonus. If he doesn't quite shape up, there's always the option of playing Sinclair mainly as a forward. Although, much as I like his whole hearted efforts, Sinclair might be spending a fair bit of the season, as a leader of our VFL side.
    We may go with 2 rucks. At this stage Sinkers is a country mile in front of McLean. Unless McLean can improve his agility 500% then he will be our 3rd option. Takes a mark, kicks a goal and disappears.

We may go with 2 rucks. At this stage Sinkers is a country mile in front of McLean. Unless McLean can improve his agility 500% then he will be our 3rd option. Takes a mark, kicks a goal and disappears.
    Yes, but reports are that he has improved his mobility and his tank. If true, he might become very good: strong hands, crashes a pack, straight kick and tackles hard (when he catches someone).

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I also hope we revert to 2 rucks. I expect we'll start the season playing Hickey in the ruck, with Sinkers providing ruck support and a marking target up front. With Logan an unknown, McCartin down back and Sam's body untrustworthy - we'll need one.
    I was glad to see that Buddy seems to have shed some weight, presumably to help him regain his speed - bulking him up to turn him into a true key forward always seemed a forlorn hope at this stage of his career. Much better for the team if he is allowed to concentrate on what he's good at, I'd think that a more likely way of getting some return on investment.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I also hope we revert to 2 rucks. I expect we'll start the season playing Hickey in the ruck, with Sinkers providing ruck support and a marking target up front. With Logan an unknown, McCartin down back and Sam's body untrustworthy - we'll need one.
    I was glad to see that Buddy seems to have shed some weight, presumably to help him regain his speed - bulking him up to turn him into a true key forward always seemed a forlorn hope at this stage of his career. Much better for the team if he is allowed to concentrate on what he's good at, I'd think that a more likely way of getting some return on investment.
    Buddy's physique reminded me of Greg Inglis in his last few years of NRL. Very top heavy with relatively skinny legs. No coincidence both have had alot of injuries. I don't know whether the players aim for this or they are instructed to bulk by the club but either way, I don't get it. Both Inglis and Buddy murdered the opposition with speed and silky skills when lean.

Which ex players? Could you supply links?
    Csmmeron Ling, David King, Glen Jacovich, Jude Bolton, Gérard Healy, Gary Lyon, Dermie. They are just a few. Jacovich was really positive and believes Swans can go all the way

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I managed to find Jacovich - who suggests being cautious with Logan - ‎Sportsday WA: Glen Jakovich's predictions of the 2021 AFL season - Sydney Swans on Apple Podcasts
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 29th January 2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I managed to find Jacovich - who suggests being cautious with Logan - ‎Sportsday WA: Glen Jakovich's predictions of the 2021 AFL season - Sydney Swans on Apple Podcasts
    Even last year King was saying ours was a lost on the way up. He said of all the bottom teams the Swans were his pick to make the top Eight. When asked whether our list was more talented than Carlton's he said he believed so. He thinks we have the most exciting list in the AFL. I hope he is right. Healy and Jude have both stated how exciting they believe Swans list to be on many occasions. Healy believes we can go top 4. Same as Jacovich.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

If we scrape into the 8 I will be very pleasantly surprised. That would require a major improvement on 2020. And there are a lot of other teams allegedly on the rise.

Ralf Dawg I had my ACL recon same day as GI same surgeon.........was a very funny day as we came out of surgery almost 4 years ago laughing our heads off from the effects of the general.

But he said that it was like his 11th knee surgery which is very different to Bud.

Goodes had more issues with his knees then Buddy has. But it appears Bud is struggling with prolonged OP and surrounding complications. Fingers crossed like Kennedy, Hannes and players like Bill Slater etc they come back from OP.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"