Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 169 to 174 of 174

Thread: Best 22 2021

  1. #169
    Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Back here
    Posts
    2,529
    Your post makes several excellent points, but having watched him since his first ressies game I am unable to concur with your assertion that "Jake Lloyd is actually a beautiful long raking kick"
    The Tom Papley Backpack $39.99 from the RWO merchandise tab - if only!

  2. #170
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    2,941
    Our best 22 is not settled. We have a lot of young players who have played no games or just a few.

    I expect the 2021 season will be similar to 2020 - a lot of inexperienced players being rotated through the side, given a few games and then dropped for what some would say are mysterious reasons. The reason why they're being dropped isn't really a mystery: we can only pick 22 players, and when it's someone else's turn to get a game another player needs to make way.

    We have maybe 30 players who would be considered the "best 22" but as yet we don't know exactly who they are. The only way to find out is to give them games against quality opposition.

    Furthermore, best 22 in 2021 and best 22 that will contend for our next premiership are not the same group of players because we're not likely to be top four in 2021. It may take a couple of years and by then a few of our best-22 veterans will have retired: Kennedy, Franklin, likely Parker. And when Franklin's salary is off our books we would be in a position to poach free agents from other clubs.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  3. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Our best 22 is not settled. We have a lot of young players who have played no games or just a few.

    I expect the 2021 season will be similar to 2020 - a lot of inexperienced players being rotated through the side, given a few games and then dropped for what some would say are mysterious reasons. The reason why they're being dropped isn't really a mystery: we can only pick 22 players, and when it's someone else's turn to get a game another player needs to make way.

    We have maybe 30 players who would be considered the "best 22" but as yet we don't know exactly who they are. The only way to find out is to give them games against quality opposition.

    Furthermore, best 22 in 2021 and best 22 that will contend for our next premiership are not the same group of players because we're not likely to be top four in 2021. It may take a couple of years and by then a few of our best-22 veterans will have retired: Kennedy, Franklin, likely Parker. And when Franklin's salary is off our books we would be in a position to poach free agents from other clubs.
    Yep. It’s all potential for now. I am sure the recruitment goes with future retirements, injury concerns for existent players etc in mind. But there is heaps of potentially very good players. A few have to take the next step to be graded excellent. And the opportunity for that next step starts soon.

  4. #172
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,852
    Oops....wrong thread.

  5. #173
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Yep. It’s all potential for now. I am sure the recruitment goes with future retirements, injury concerns for existent players etc in mind. But there is heaps of potentially very good players. A few have to take the next step to be graded excellent. And the opportunity for that next step starts soon.
    I don't think we are as far away as you think. Several ex premiership players have picked us to make the eight. That is because they rate our list very highly. Get a bit of experience back in the side and it will be a far different team. Remember that last year we had no Buddy, Heeney, Rampe, Big Sammy and Hewett and Kennedy spent 3 or 4 out too. Just those players alone would make a heck if a difference

    Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

  6. #174
    Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Back here
    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Several ex premiership players have picked us to make the eight.
    Which ex players? Could you supply links?
    The Tom Papley Backpack $39.99 from the RWO merchandise tab - if only!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO