Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

geeese BS very game
    Last time I offered to bet someone on here..........there was lava meltdown
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Wanna bet? I'll certainly take my hat off to you and heed your opinions in future much more if you're right. We shall see.
    i'll happily accept your hat. Why would you think it such an implausible scenario ? I would think Longmire and the coaching staff rate both quite highly. Bell has been training in the best team all preseason , i spoke to a coach who said they loved his work rate. And Warner was our best performing mid in the 2nd half on the weekend. I would say that puts both in the box seat to nab rd 1 places.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    i'll happily accept your hat. Why would you think it such an implausible scenario ? I would think Longmire and the coaching staff rate both quite highly. Bell has been training in the best team all preseason , i spoke to a coach who said they loved his work rate. And Warner was our best performing mid in the 2nd half on the weekend. I would say that puts both in the box seat to nab rd 1 places.
    How do you leave out new comers like Gulden, Campbell and Warner.? I cannot pick the best 22 at this stage but the depth we have now is quite impressive.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    How do you leave out new comers like Gulden, Campbell and Warner.? I cannot pick the best 22 at this stage but the depth we have now is quite impressive.
    Wasnt phased with Campbell. Had a few good moments but dont consider him a serious contender for rd 1. Gulden had the ball on a string and so did Warner.

Goes up to 11
    Gulden was impressive on the weekend but Campbell will soon be considered an elite player. He has a superb kick and that's what we've all been crying out for recently.

I think (and hope) we will see Campbell in the round 1 team but if not, he'll be there soon after and will be difficult to dislodge henceforth and for the next 10 years. He's gonna be a good 'un....

I follow your logic but I think it's too small a sample size and other players have more runs on the board. I don't think there's a complete blank slate at the beginning of each pre-season.

I think the best chance for one of Warner or Bell to play is if Hewett isn't ready to go. Really can't see them both being selected. Won't be sorry if you're right, just very surprised.

Your last sentence says it all. Joey does not need any other facets to his game because he is so good at what he already does. This year I am anticipating he will again be our second-best mid. Just as he was last year. And just as he has been in every year he's been at the club where he's finished top 3 in the B&F. If Mills makes the impact that lives up to the hype then Joey could be third. But that is still quite the feat for a veteran. He has still got at least two more years of enjoying being in our top 3 midfielders.

He is not the force he once was i concur with that. Still a formidable opponent for mids to do battle with.
    He may well be second best midfielder now. But if he wants to have 'one last crack' if we do progress well in the next couple of years and become serious final contenders again, he could very quickly come under huge pressure to maintain that position, if that is the only role he really has. No matter what stage of a career a player is at, they should always be looking for ways to make themselves as close to 'undroppable' as they can. And for older players, that often is finding a way to supplement their primary role in the team with another element to their play (as Jude Bolton did quite successfully).

Father Time catches up with most players very quickly when it does - he could easily drop from being top 2 or 3 to struggling to make the 22 in a number of weeks. Lower rotations are going to make it tougher in time for older players too in the midfield, although perhaps one could argue on the other hand that it could help some by allowing fatigue to player a greater role in the game, thus reducing the impact of being a 'slower' player in general play.

ROK a perfect example of a player where the game moved past him pretty bloody quickly when it did, and I'm sure there are numerous examples around the place over the years. Not saying its going to happy to Kennedy, but I suspect the end could come quickly when it does (may that be a long way off yet).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I follow your logic but I think it's too small a sample size and other players have more runs on the board. I don't think there's a complete blank slate at the beginning of each pre-season.

I think the best chance for one of Warner or Bell to play is if Hewett isn't ready to go. Really can't see them both being selected. Won't be sorry if you're right, just very surprised.
    I don't think both will be there either. Though Warner was impressive on the weekend - I tend to agree with your assessment that one scratch match don't make a summer quite yet - I hope he backs it up in the community series and makes it a tougher decision then it is however.

I think Bell is more likely of the two to play.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    He may well be second best midfielder now. But if he wants to have 'one last crack' if we do progress well in the next couple of years and become serious final contenders again, he could very quickly come under huge pressure to maintain that position, if that is the only role he really has. No matter what stage of a career a player is at, they should always be looking for ways to make themselves as close to 'undroppable' as they can. And for older players, that often is finding a way to supplement their primary role in the team with another element to their play (as Jude Bolton did quite successfully).

Father Time catches up with most players very quickly when it does - he could easily drop from being top 2 or 3 to struggling to make the 22 in a number of weeks. Lower rotations are going to make it tougher in time for older players too in the midfield, although perhaps one could argue on the other hand that it could help some by allowing fatigue to player a greater role in the game, thus reducing the impact of being a 'slower' player in general play.

ROK a perfect example of a player where the game moved past him pretty bloody quickly when it did, and I'm sure there are numerous examples around the place over the years. Not saying its going to happy to Kennedy, but I suspect the end could come quickly when it does (may that be a long way off yet).
    ROK was ousted because he was too old and too slow in what was one of our all-time midfields. Joey, Parker, Hannes , Jack and Mitchell had all overtaken him.

Mills could be on par with them but if you can name me another mid fielder on our list who will be comparable to them in the next two years I would be intrigued to know your reasoning.

ROK was ousted because he was too old and too slow in what was one of our all-time midfields. Joey, Parker, Hannes , Jack and Mitchell had all overtaken him.

Mills could be on par with them but if you can name me another mid fielder on our list who will be comparable to them in the next two years I would be intrigued to know your reasoning.
    You know the messiah is RB. But don’t just take my word or it.

Your AFL club's breakout star in 2021

Eventually, Josh P Kennedy will slow down and reduce his midfield minutes and his heir apparent, James Rowbottom, will take over...

For Sydney to have already given the 20-year-old 28 games in his first two seasons, with a considerable chunk of midfield time, suggests that they have the belief in him to be their man going forward.

All I was pointing out is footy can change very quickly and players can subsequently be left behind quick. Nothing more, nothing less than that. Ryan O'Keefe went from deservedly winning the Norm Smith Medal to out of the team and playing ressies football in less than 2 seasons (and that was a player that clearly could play another role in the team beyond the midfield to a very high standard).

We all know where the broader trend in footy is going (less interchanges, other changes to make the game quicker such as the standing soldier on the mark rule) - its about faster football more generally. Kennedy is not immune to the effects of father time, and he isn't suddenly going to find an extra 20 per cent endurance and a few clicks on the clock in terms of speed. I'm not saying for one second he is suddenly going to become 'obsolete' as a player, but its remarkable how quickly a player that has been a long term fixture in a team can suddenly come under serious pressure when the game starts to move past him. After all, you mark down players at the other end of the spectrum because they don't have the tank to get to every contest - will you apply the same logic if it becomes apparent in older players?

And I did qualify my comments broadly in saying 'if we progress well and become seriously final contenders' as well... which would by necessity mean a few of the younger midfielders really hit their straps and step up. What if your flavour of the month Warner hits the big time quickly. What if Stephens builds on what he did last year and continues to progress. What if Rowbottom does progress against your wisdom and foresight that he wont..... its not beyond the realms of possibility at all, unless one has already made judgements about what players will or wont progress in the future.
    Last edited by mcs; 2nd March 2021 at 09:30 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    You know the messiah is RB. But don’t just take my word or it.

Your AFL club's breakout star in 2021

Eventually, Josh P Kennedy will slow down and reduce his midfield minutes and his heir apparent, James Rowbottom, will take over...

For Sydney to have already given the 20-year-old 28 games in his first two seasons, with a considerable chunk of midfield time, suggests that they have the belief in him to be their man going forward.
    I stand corrected , some nobody on the Roar disagrees with me