Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    You realise Lloyd is the reigning Bob Skilton medal winner (and also won 2 of the last 3)? How he would not be in our best 22 at the end of the year is absolutely beyond me.
    Of course, and our most recent AA too.

However, we have two players in Ling and Campbell that I genuinely believe are about to take our back 6 by storm. Ling will become a better lock down defender, and the new Nick Smith. Campbell will be an incredible attacking asset from the back half with the new rules.
    I just can't see both of them in the same team with Lloyd due to similarities. And I value the upside of both of them as much higher than Lloyds.
    It's not intended to be a swipe at Lloyd. He's been a great contributor through a poor few years for us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Gulden straight into the round 1 side
    For Will Hayward.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    What I expect to be the Rd1 team..

B - Campbell, Rampe, Melican
    HB - Lloyd, McCartin, Dawson
    C - Florent, Kennedy, Blakey
    HF - Heeney, Reid, Rowbottom
    F - Papley, Sinclair, Hayward
    Foll - Hickey, Parker, Mills
    Int: Ling, Hewitt, Wicks, Cunningham

What I hope the Rd22 team to be:
    B - Campbell, Rampe, Melican
    HB - Ling, McCartin, Dawson
    C - Florent, Mills, Blakey
    HF - Heeney, McDonald, Wicks
    F - Papley, Hayward, Gulden
    Foll - Hickey, Parker, Rowbottom
    Int: Kennedy, Hewitt, Warner, Stephens
    So you hope Buddy is not in our round 22 side?

PS: Just saw your follow up post.

Of course, and our most recent AA too.

However, we have two players in Ling and Campbell that I genuinely believe are about to take our back 6 by storm. Ling will become a better lock down defender, and the new Nick Smith. Campbell will be an incredible attacking asset from the back half with the new rules.
    I just can't see both of them in the same team with Lloyd due to similarities. And I value the upside of both of them as much higher than Lloyds.
    It's not intended to be a swipe at Lloyd. He's been a great contributor through a poor few years for us.
    I figure we have 6 players vying for 3 medium/small defender spots: Lloyd, Cunningham, Fox, COR, Ling and Campbell.

Of these, Lloyd is the fixture that won't be moving. He's spent the past 5 years developing his craft as the leader of the counterattack. He consistently ranks in the top AFL players in possessions and metres gained. Not the best defender early on, but now he's very competent playing the zone and getting to right spots. He's only 27, so I wouldn't even be thinking about a replacement at this time.

Cunningham and Fox have been doing a pretty good job covering the small forwards, but Ling looks to be the one we're training up to take the opposition best small forward in the coming years.

It's hard to say how the backline will unfold over the course of the year. There are so many possible combinations. Melican, McCartin, Rampe and Lloyd are the mainstays. Gould and O'Connor will look to play as key defenders. Gould could transform into a big bodied midfielder in due course, if the need exists. We are also likely to take a key defender with one of our 1st 2 draft picks this year.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 28th February 2021 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    For Will Hayward.
    Hayward is a really good tall target to kick to alongside Heeney and will be incredibly difficult to match up on

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I figure we have 6 players vying for 3 medium/small defender spots: Lloyd, Cunningham, Fox, COR, Ling and Campbell.

Of these, Lloyd is the fixture that won't be moving. He's spent the past 5 years developing his craft as the leader of the counterattack. He consistently ranks in the top AFL players in possessions and metres gained. Not the best defender early on, but now he's very competent playing the zone and getting to right spots. He's only 27, so I wouldn't even be thinking about a replacement at this time.

Cunningham and Fox have been doing a pretty good job covering the small forwards, but Ling looks to be the one we're training up to take the opposition best small forward in the coming years.

It's hard to say how the backline will unfold over the course of the year. There are so many possible combinations. Melican, McCartin, Rampe and Lloyd are the mainstays. Gould and O'Connor will look to play as key defenders. Gould could transform into a big bodied midfielder in due course, if the need exists. We are also likely to take a key defender with one of our 1st 2 draft picks this year.
    Lloyd is not a lock down defender!!! He also is definitely not competing with any that you mentioned. It’s Lloyd and then daylight. To suggest Lloyd will be playing reserves by the end of the year is one of the more laughable things I have read of RWO...

Cunningham is also an absolute lock. He is the new Nick Smith.

The third small defender is definitely up for grabs. I think it will come down to a decision between Campbell if we want run from half back or Fox if we are playing more defensively.

Lloyd is not a lock down defender!!! He also is definitely not competing with any that you mentioned. It’s Lloyd and then daylight. To suggest Lloyd will be playing reserves by the end of the year is one of the more laughable things I have read of RWO...

The third small defender is definitely up for grabs. I think it will come down to a decision between Campbell if we want run from half back or Fox if we are playing more defensively.
    I think you quoted the wrong person. I said pretty much the same thing you have.

You're kind of making my point. Lloyd isn't a defender by nature, more of a winger. And he's not damaging with his disposals - why do you think he doesn't get tagged often?
    Campbell will hurt an opposition with his speed and elite kicking. I'm not sure he and Lloyd can be in the same team with also Cunningham and Ling. It's probably 2/3 of them at a stretch.

I'd also assume Fox is now at the bank end of the queue, given the club let him go in the off season.

You're kind of making my point. Lloyd isn't a defender by nature, more of a winger. And he's not damaging with his disposals - why do you think he doesn't get tagged often?
    Campbell will hurt an opposition with his speed and elite kicking. I'm not sure he and Lloyd can be in the same team with also Cunningham and Ling. It's probably 2/3 of them at a stretch.

I'd also assume Fox is now at the bank end of the queue, given the club let him go in the off season.
    Its going to be an interesting conundrum. I thought Harry C had an outstanding season last year, and I think he has taken well to the small lock down role. He has significant versatility however, and will always be in and around the team even if others take him over for that role (until such time that he can no longer compete in any position). I can't see any world where Lloyd is going to be dislodged any time soon, and certainly not in the short term.

But there is a limit on how many can fit into those sorts of roles. I can certainly see why they are giving Campbell a first calling in that part of the ground however, with his speed and kicking. Give him some time to build up strength etc to meet the needs of AFL footy in a position he will be less exposed.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think you quoted the wrong person. I said pretty much the same thing you have.
    Apologies Ludwig, didn’t mean to quote you!!

If you recall, Lloyd took over the Lewis Jetta role in 2016 as the player primarily responsible for taking the ball out of the defensive zone and start a counterattack. As with Jetta, Lloyd was not a great defender, although he's very much improved to the point of being more than competent. Lloyd has become one of the league's best in this role. Rory Laird is the other good one and I think he's slated for the Adelaide midfield this year.

Lloyd is a very reliable kick, evidenced by being given the responsibility for taking the kick-ins. He doesn't have a long penetrating kick, nor is he super quick, but he's very effective at both nonetheless.

As foreshadowed last year, the Swans have so much midfield depth that many drafted midfielders have to find other roles to break into the side, if only for a couple of years. This is likely the case for Campbell and Gulden, who both should become midfielders in the future. I don't think Campbell will spend more than a year or 2 in the back line before being repositioned elsewhere. Rampe, Ling, Cunningham, Dawson and Gould are all long kicks, so it's Jake's job to get the ball to one of these longer kicks to move the ball down field. Lloyd is a good decision maker, which a key to playing his role and what makes him so reliable and effective. I can't see that changing soon.

I wouldn't be writing off Fox just yet. He had a very good 2020, going past the injured O'Riordan (who is far from being out of the picture either). He has all the tools to be a first rate defender. He's quick, has great endurance, is physical, a strong mark and accurate kick. The package is a little bit less than the parts, but it's still quite good. I think he has the inside edge to stay in the side, but at 28 yo in April, we may opt for developing younger players. I'm sure the selectors are having just as difficult time picking the round 1 team as we are.

Im super intrigued 'how' the fast HBF that breaks the line will adapt to the rule change.
    If Dawson is kicking 60m plus on our backline transition to the wing or a mark down the centre....... where and how will the fast HBF make their impact vs years gone past?

I would prefer to start with the angry pressure smalls up front ie lock it in and strangle the air out of the opposition, keep the score narrow to start........for me that would mean Wicks or Errol get a start and Hayward out for now.

Not super looking forward to watching AA kill it at Port Adelaide this season.

OUT: Sinkers, Hayward and McInerney are my big omissions but you could certainly argue either way for best team now and or best team for end of season and developing the change of the guard.

Below is my round 3-5 team ie once Bud is back......just like the mesiah up at the Brisbane Bears

B - Lloyd, Rampe, Fox
    HB - Cunningham, McCartin, Dawson
    C - Florent, Kennedy, Blakey
    HF - Heeney, Reid, Rowbottom
    F - Papley, Buddy, Wicks
    Foll - Hickey, Parker, Mills
    Int: Hewitt, Melican, Errol, Stephens

Hayward
    Sinkers
    McInerney
    Campbell
    McDonald
    Ling
    Oriordan
    The CHAD
    Clarke
    Bell
    Ronke
    etc all fighting hard no doubt for a spot and we could argue till the cows come home, as all worthy for a spot in the 22 at their best.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"