Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Your last sentence says it all. Joey does not need any other facets to his game because he is so good at what he already does. This year I am anticipating he will again be our second-best mid. Just as he was last year. And just as he has been in every year he's been at the club where he's finished top 3 in the B&F. If Mills makes the impact that lives up to the hype then Joey could be third. But that is still quite the feat for a veteran. He has still got at least two more years of enjoying being in our top 3 midfielders.
    He is not the force he once was i concur with that. Still a formidable opponent for mids to do battle with.
    I agree with TheBloods on Joey. I do not expect 2021 to be his last season.
    One thing I did notice during the GWS practice match was how often Joey was the first Swans midfielder to arrive at the contest. He has never had lightning speed but his endurance for someone weighing 97kg is extraordinary.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    I stand corrected , some nobody on the Roar disagrees with me
    How do you see yourself then?

I know that's a potentially provocative question but you just called someone whose job it is to assess and write about footy, a nobody. We on RWO are after all, just fans (with opinions yes but ultimately just fans).

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

I know that's a potentially provocative question but you just called someone whose job it is to assess and write about footy, a nobody. We on RWO are after all, just fans (with opinions yes but ultimately just fans).
    We are nobodies

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

As are people on The Roar - I don't believe they are professional journos (or even people whose opinions are more valid than anyone else's). They're just fans who write for the Roar for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    As are people on The Roar - I don't believe they are professional journos (or even people whose opinions are more valid than anyone else's). They're just fans who write for the Roar for fun.
    That’s mainly right. But they do have some contributors who are professional sports writers - Geoff Lemon for example.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    We are nobodies
    So "Everybody is a Nobody" Bloods?

I didn't realise you were such an exponent of existentialism? We really do attract a most remarkably varied readership on RWO.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 5th March 2021 at 05:19 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It could be argued that sometimes fans have a better view on their team than professional journos....

When it comes to our best 22, I would back the opinions of people on here at least as much as professional journalists who have to spread themselves across a lot more teams and sports. The main advantage that they potentially have is that they may interview and speak with people who know more than we do before they formulate their opinions. However, often so called sports "journalists" don't actually do that before churning out the guff that they are expected to. I don't really use the inverted commas perjoratively but more for precision. What I mean is that sports "journalists" largely are not journalists in the traditional sense - they don't limit themselves to reporting the news. They include a lot of editorial in what they write and don't have the same obligation to be fair and balanced etc. Sports reporting is a different beast to news reporting.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    When it comes to our best 22, I would back the opinions of people on here at least as much as professional journalists who have to spread themselves across a lot more teams and sports. The main advantage that they potentially have is that they may interview and speak with people who know more than we do before they formulate their opinions. However, often so called sports "journalists" don't actually do that before churning out the guff that they are expected to. I don't really use the inverted commas perjoratively but more for precision. What I mean is that sports "journalists" largely are not journalists in the traditional sense - they don't limit themselves to reporting the news. They include a lot of editorial in what they write and don't have the same obligation to be fair and balanced etc. Sports reporting is a different beast to news reporting.
    I have to agree, SEN's "your club's best 22 heading into the 2021 season" names Mills in defence and suggests Harry Wicks is "on the brink"

Your club's best 22 heading into the 2021 season

The level of in-depth analysis on RWO has only been equaled by the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem Witch Trials.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The level of in-depth analysis on RWO has only been equaled by the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem Witch Trials.
    I think of it more as a Royal Commission, but without (fortunately) the power to compel persons to appear to give evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Without the meting out of any Auto-da-fé
    I think it would sharpen things up on here if there was a bit more at ... stake