Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The level of in-depth analysis on RWO has only been equaled by the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem Witch Trials.
    I'm not sure if either of those had much quality analysis? More like detailed answers to silly questions.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I have to agree, SEN's "your club's best 22 heading into the 2021 season" names Mills in defence and suggests Harry Wicks is "on the brink"

Your club's best 22 heading into the 2021 season
    That's an NFI team.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure if either of those had much quality analysis? More like detailed answers to silly questions.
    I think you get my point!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think you get my point!
    Well, there's something to put on my resume: more in touch with reality than the Salem witch trials.

But instead of me going off along a tangent. The latest injury update had Fox out for around six weeks, after having hand surgery. Lloyd will miss this week with a minor strain, but should be okay for round one. There was also some Buddy news that I didn't really know how to interpret. It said that it was an important couple of weeks, as he looks to resume full training. So if he does resume full training, how many more weeks will it be, before he's ready to play?

I seem to be having trouble posting!

Anyway only point I wanted to make was that I think Hewett might struggle for game time this year. With Mills moving into the middle, JPK and Parker entrenched and youngsters such as Rowbottom, Florent, Stephens and "The" Chad looking for inside opportunities (not to mention pinch hitting from Lizard, Heeney and Paps, possibly even Errol and Campbell too), it's looking a bit crowded and something will have to give.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Well, there's something to put on my resume: more in touch with reality than the Salem witch trials.

But instead of me going off along a tangent. The latest injury update had Fox out for around six weeks, after having hand surgery. Lloyd will miss this week with a minor strain, but should be okay for round one. There was also some Buddy news that I didn't really know how to interpret. It said that it was an important couple of weeks, as he looks to resume full training. So if he does resume full training, how many more weeks will it be, before he's ready to play?
    I posted the above in the match practice thread.but 1/2 time in tonght's Saints v Carlton practiceTom Morris reported Buddy is gunning for R1 but Club is taking cautuous approach

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I posted the above in the match practice thread.but 1/2 time in tonght's Saints v Carlton practiceTom Morris reported Buddy is gunning for R1 but Club is taking cautuous approach
    Personally, I'd be very surprised if Buddy was ready for round one. Though if he was, I would consider it a happy omen for the rest of the season.

RD......i suspect with the amount of injuries most teams suffer we wont have a problemo with our rotation

Hewett at his best fits into just about any team in the comp..............I loved his season playing a lot on the HFF posting up like a Toby Greene, as much as his midfield work

Such a consistent player
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Hi all

A few weeks away from rd 1, new season, coaching changes, some fresh faces on the list I am feeling optimistic about our chances this year. Won't be winning the flag but i think with a good run with injuries we can push for the eight.

Here are a few of my thoughts on what i have heard and seen over the pre-season:

- Love Mills playing in the midfield. I was beginning to think we would never see it, but i now see John Longmire's grand plan.. adding Mills right when we need him in there. Kennedy not getting younger, Parker will be wasted in his prime years if he doesnt have more able support. I always had Hewett pegged as that next player, but hasnt come along as we'd hoped. Injuries at the wrong time haven't helped George.

- I am rapt to know the Lizard has been starring on the wing. 195cm, deceptively quick, I reckon he will pose a surprisingly tricky match-up on the wing. "Mills gets it out to Blakey" has a nice ring to it.

- Thrilled to see Hickey's performance. Seemed fit and mobile, good jump on him. 22 games from you this year thanks, Tom.

- The silly report that Lance could be an inclusion for rd 1. Why? Nothing to gain from rushing back one of our most important players. Would much prefer he miss the first month and we get the next 4 months after that out of him than he plays rd 1 and is injured again by rd 4. Unless i hear it from someone's lips affiliated with the club, i choose not to buy into any media reporting on Lance!

- Upsetting to hear Fox will have a delayed start to the season, I love a good battler. Upside is that this could mean more opportunities for... who? Matthew Ling? Or will Will Gould finally get his break?

- Quietly optimistic about what changes Don Pyke can ring in. What a formidable coaching line up. John Longmire. Dean Cox. Don Pyke. Brett Kirk. Jarrad McVeigh. They have seen some premierships between them. I hear Pyke was the brains behind Mills being moved into the midfield, but i have a sneaking suspicion Longmire was waiting for the right group of coaches and players to make such big changes, and we finally have it. Its so exciting - Mills as a midfielder, the Lizard on a wing, Tom McCartin as a true centre half back, Ling in the best 22. Academy boys everywhere. It might not all work but at least we wont die wondering!!

- Finally i'm amused by the discussions about James Rowbottom. He is an exceptional young kid and talent. Respect all are entitled to their opinions, but we dont know what's going on with these players. We are fans and spectators for a reason. I thought he was solid on the weekend and his second quarter was a ripper that helped turn the tide of the game. Anyone questioning his off-season commitment might be interested to know that over the summer he joined my son's track club in Toorak and put in hours on the track nearly every day. No tins or Big Macs in sight.

Excited for the weekend and the season ahead!

Cheer cheer !!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi all

A few weeks away from rd 1, new season, coaching changes, some fresh faces on the list I am feeling optimistic about our chances this year. Won't be winning the flag but i think with a good run with injuries we can push for the eight.

Here are a few of my thoughts on what i have heard and seen over the pre-season:

- Love Mills playing in the midfield. I was beginning to think we would never see it, but i now see John Longmire's grand plan.. adding Mills right when we need him in there. Kennedy not getting younger, Parker will be wasted in his prime years if he doesnt have more able support. I always had Hewett pegged as that next player, but hasnt come along as we'd hoped. Injuries at the wrong time haven't helped George.

- I am rapt to know the Lizard has been starring on the wing. 195cm, deceptively quick, I reckon he will pose a surprisingly tricky match-up on the wing. "Mills gets it out to Blakey" has a nice ring to it.

- Thrilled to see Hickey's performance. Seemed fit and mobile, good jump on him. 22 games from you this year thanks, Tom.

- The silly report that Lance could be an inclusion for rd 1. Why? Nothing to gain from rushing back one of our most important players. Would much prefer he miss the first month and we get the next 4 months after that out of him than he plays rd 1 and is injured again by rd 4. Unless i hear it from someone's lips affiliated with the club, i choose not to buy into any media reporting on Lance!

- Upsetting to hear Fox will have a delayed start to the season, I love a good battler. Upside is that this could mean more opportunities for... who? Matthew Ling? Or will Will Gould finally get his break?

- Quietly optimistic about what changes Don Pyke can ring in. What a formidable coaching line up. John Longmire. Dean Cox. Don Pyke. Brett Kirk. Jarrad McVeigh. They have seen some premierships between them. I hear Pyke was the brains behind Mills being moved into the midfield, but i have a sneaking suspicion Longmire was waiting for the right group of coaches and players to make such big changes, and we finally have it. Its so exciting - Mills as a midfielder, the Lizard on a wing, Tom McCartin as a true centre half back, Ling in the best 22. Academy boys everywhere. It might not all work but at least we wont die wondering!!

- Finally i'm amused by the discussions about James Rowbottom. He is an exceptional young kid and talent. Respect all are entitled to their opinions, but we dont know what's going on with these players. We are fans and spectators for a reason. I thought he was solid on the weekend and his second quarter was a ripper that helped turn the tide of the game. Anyone questioning his off-season commitment might be interested to know that over the summer he joined my son's track club in Toorak and put in hours on the track nearly every day. No tins or Big Macs in sight.

Excited for the weekend and the season ahead!

Cheer cheer !!
    Wonderful first post!

Welcome and we will look forward to your inciteful comments in the future.

Love a battler story also, and was saddened by Fox's injury news.

After watching the speed and scoring power of both sides last night it will be an interesting season. Survival of the fastest and fittest. (and a little skill could be handy) Footy is back with spectators! Whooo Hooo!

Fox is out for 6-8 weeks unfortunately so that rules him out. Highly doubt Buddy will be ready either.

It's going to come down to the final few practice games and any injuries. Reckon there are 3 spots up for grabs between Campbell, Gulden, McInerney, Stephens, Warner, Wicks and Bell.

As it stands, I would go with:

Cunningham Melican Rampe
    Lloyd McCartin Campbell
    Dawson Parker Blakey
    Heeney Reid Hayward
    Papley Sinclair Gulden
    Hickey Mills Kennedy
    Rowbottom Florent Hewett McInerney

Emer: Stephens Warner Wicks Bell

What I learned from the weekend's hit out was:

1. RB is still the player I remembered from last year's fixtures.
    2. Rampe is heavily missed in the backline, combined with Mills absence, they seemed lost back there for the first quarter and a half.
    3. Mills will be a different player as a follower.
    4. Heeney is great, what a loss he was.
    5. McCartin got better the longer the game went.

to be continued