Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal.

Suspended by the MRP
    I suspect the club have been strategic with these awards, to generate as much excitement as possible.

Cunningham (went from not finishing top 10 last year to 5th placed this year) and Fox (went from never managing more than five consecutive games to managing 14 this year, including 12 in a row) were the only two worthy contenders for the Most Improved award, but they give the honours to a kid who was more fitting for the Rising Star, as his improvement was not anywhere near as vast as Cunningham or Fox. But two men having a mid-career form resurgence would garner anywhere near the buzz among the supporter base as a young gun taking out an award.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He was in the 2018 squad.
    I forgot the terminology difference between the team and the squad. I should have said 'team'. But making the 40 man initial squad is still a great accomplishment.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I forgot the terminology difference between the team and the squad. I should have said 'team'. But making the 40 man initial squad is still a great accomplishment.
    Annoying he missed out on being selected in the squad this year. Third in the comp for possessions, sixth for metres gained, seventh for intercept possessions.

I'm glad that Florent got the acknowledgement he deserved for a great season. I am constantly amazed at posters' disdain for him. He has clearly played a key link role all season, not a hard-ball get in-and-under accumulator (although he does get his hands dirty when required). His positional play is strong, and he tackles.

Warming the Bench
    I think Lloyd plays his role in the team really well, he intercepts, create the loose man and uses the ball ok but a two time Best and Fairest I don't think so.
    In many ways he has the easiest job, very rarely as the seventh defender he has an opponent. His metres gained looking at the scoreboard don't create a lot of goals.
    In the past players that played similar roles Melcho, Tadgh and Willo created a lot more goals than he has.
    Luke Parker I think was very stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't know if Jake will ever make the AA squad, but he deserves to be given more consideration than he's received so far. .
    As a Swan, I’d take the Skilton Medal Over the AA team (or squad) any day. Each year there are 22 guys who make AA. There’s only one (usually) Bob Skilton Medalist

Great season by Lloyd and well deserved.

Interesting to see JPK still in the top 10 even though he missed so many games.

Fox most unlucky.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I suspect the club have been strategic with these awards, to generate as much excitement as possible....Cunningham (went from not finishing top 10 last year to 5th placed this year)
    Cunningham has been quite consistent except missing games in 2017 after injuries. He was #10 in 2018 and was probably not too far below in 2019. I think his performance in 2020 is consistent with his past record. It was also mentioned last night that he was added to the leadership group together with Papley and Llyod when a few of our leaders could not play due to injuries.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Cunningham has been quite consistent except missing games in 2017 after injuries. He was #10 in 2018 and was probably not too far below in 2019. I think his performance in 2020 is consistent with his past record. It was also mentioned last night that he was added to the leadership group together with Papley and Llyod when a few of our leaders could not play due to injuries.
    Then emerged as a leader en route to a top 5 finish. That is the definition of most improved. But Cunningham would not garner the excitement of the members heading into 2021 anywhere near as much as an up and coming star winning the award.

Great result.
    Really weird not being there having a drink and being in the back corner of the room.
    Second B&F I've missed out on in 15 years.
    Weird 2020. Weird.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I suspect the club have been strategic with these awards, to generate as much excitement as possible.

Cunningham (went from not finishing top 10 last year to 5th placed this year) and Fox (went from never managing more than five consecutive games to managing 14 this year, including 12 in a row) were the only two worthy contenders for the Most Improved award, but they give the honours to a kid who was more fitting for the Rising Star, as his improvement was not anywhere near as vast as Cunningham or Fox. But two men having a mid-career form resurgence would garner anywhere near the buzz among the supporter base as a young gun taking out an award.
    I think that's a bit cynical, and while I think cynicism is an important weapon in critical thinking, I prefer not to think the club works that way. I think that part of the puzzle may be that the club has actually valued Cunningham more highly than some RWO-ers have in the past, and so see his progression as more linear than abrupt. I'm one that has long held him in high regard. As a person he seems a decent individual, and as a footballer I think he's long given of his best and has improved steadily, to the point that he is now a very reliable player.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Great season by Lloyd and well deserved.

Interesting to see JPK still in the top 10 even though he missed so many games.

Fox most unlucky.
    +1
    It's been great to watch Fox's improvement this year. I'm sure that, internally, he's receiving affirmation for what he's achieved.

If Jake Lloyd were more brash than he actually is, I wonder if he'd receive more accolades and acknowledgement than he does. As Damian Barrett says in Sliding Doors today, (Lloyd is) "The most low-key, least recognisable star in the comp." A star that I'm mighty glad we have at the Swans.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I think that's a bit cynical, and while I think cynicism is an important weapon in critical thinking, I prefer not to think the club works that way. I think that part of the puzzle may be that the club has actually valued Cunningham more highly than some RWO-ers have in the past, and so see his progression as more linear than abrupt. I'm one that has long held him in high regard. As a person he seems a decent individual, and as a footballer I think he's long given of his best and has improved steadily, to the point that he is now a very reliable player.

+1
    It's been great to watch Fox's improvement this year. I'm sure that, internally, he's receiving affirmation for what he's achieved.

If Jake Lloyd were more brash than he actually is, I wonder if he'd receive more accolades and acknowledgement than he does. As Damian Barrett says in Sliding Doors today, (Lloyd is) "The most low-key, least recognisable star in the comp." A star that I'm mighty glad we have at the Swans.
    Evidently Fox's improvement has not been affirmed internally, or he would've received the official affirmation from those offering it internally last night !

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast