Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 70

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal.

  1. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I think that's a bit cynical, and while I think cynicism is an important weapon in critical thinking, I prefer not to think the club works that way. I think that part of the puzzle may be that the club has actually valued Cunningham more highly than some RWO-ers have in the past, and so see his progression as more linear than abrupt. I'm one that has long held him in high regard. As a person he seems a decent individual, and as a footballer I think he's long given of his best and has improved steadily, to the point that he is now a very reliable player.



    +1
    It's been great to watch Fox's improvement this year. I'm sure that, internally, he's receiving affirmation for what he's achieved.

    If Jake Lloyd were more brash than he actually is, I wonder if he'd receive more accolades and acknowledgement than he does. As Damian Barrett says in Sliding Doors today, (Lloyd is) "The most low-key, least recognisable star in the comp." A star that I'm mighty glad we have at the Swans.
    Good post. I agree.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  2. #38
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,875
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I'm glad that Florent got the acknowledgement he deserved for a great season. I am constantly amazed at posters' disdain for him. He has clearly played a key link role all season, not a hard-ball get in-and-under accumulator (although he does get his hands dirty when required). His positional play is strong, and he tackles.
    My only problem with him is he constantly makes poor disposal decisions. He hasn't improved this part of game at all from my observation.

  3. #39
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I think that's a bit cynical, and while I think cynicism is an important weapon in critical thinking, I prefer not to think the club works that way. I think that part of the puzzle may be that the club has actually valued Cunningham more highly than some RWO-ers have in the past, and so see his progression as more linear than abrupt. I'm one that has long held him in high regard. As a person he seems a decent individual, and as a footballer I think he's long given of his best and has improved steadily, to the point that he is now a very reliable player.



    +1
    It's been great to watch Fox's improvement this year. I'm sure that, internally, he's receiving affirmation for what he's achieved.

    If Jake Lloyd were more brash than he actually is, I wonder if he'd receive more accolades and acknowledgement than he does. As Damian Barrett says in Sliding Doors today, (Lloyd is) "The most low-key, least recognisable star in the comp." A star that I'm mighty glad we have at the Swans.
    I was a long time critic of Harry but not now. He or the club has found his niche and I agree he plays an important role. Right from his first televised practice match I thought he avoided body contact and rarely got his shorts dirty. He has turned that around.

  4. #40
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Cunningham has been quite consistent except missing games in 2017 after injuries. He was #10 in 2018 and was probably not too far below in 2019. I think his performance in 2020 is consistent with his past record. It was also mentioned last night that he was added to the leadership group together with Papley and Llyod when a few of our leaders could not play due to injuries.
    Cunningham has been so consistent that he hasn't polled a Brownlow vote to the end of 2019. Could he get Brownlow votes this year?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  5. #41
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Cunningham has been so consistent that he hasn't polled a Brownlow vote to the end of 2019. Could he get Brownlow votes this year?
    Another Nick Smith in the making?

  6. #42
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    415
    Parker has finished equal fifth at the 2020 Brownlow Medal by 15 votes.

    Other Sydney Swans vote-getters



    Tom Papley- 6 votes
    Isaac Heeney - 5 votes
    Josh Kennedy - 4 votes
    Jake Lloyd- 3 votes
    Callum Mills- 2 votes
    Ollie Florent- 2 votes
    Dane Rampe- 1 vote
    Ryan Clarke - 1 vote

  7. #43
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    266
    Parker coming equal FIFTH in the Brownlow only makes his non-selection in the All Australian SQUAD that much more of a farce. Unfortunately it is not the first time Parker has been on the receiving end of utter Victorian bias, do we all remember 2014?? It won't be the last time either...

    The surprise for me was N.O.B. not receiving a single vote. If I think back to his outstanding performances, the North, Hawthorn and GWS matches come to mind, three occasions where he was up to his eyeballs in what were wins, so for his role in those wins not to be recognised was a bit of a shame.

    Goes to show what a tough award it is to win, which makes Neale's runaway victory that much more impressive.

  8. #44
    Captain of the Side Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Parker coming equal FIFTH in the Brownlow only makes his non-selection in the All Australian SQUAD that much more of a farce. Unfortunately it is not the first time Parker has been on the receiving end of utter Victorian bias, do we all remember 2014?? It won't be the last time either...

    The surprise for me was N.O.B. not receiving a single vote. If I think back to his outstanding performances, the North, Hawthorn and GWS matches come to mind, three occasions where he was up to his eyeballs in what were wins, so for his role in those wins not to be recognised was a bit of a shame.

    Goes to show what a tough award it is to win, which makes Neale's runaway victory that much more impressive.
    Who/what is N.O.B??

  9. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Who/what is N.O.B??
    Nephew Of BT = Rowbottom

  10. #46
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    1,551
    Blog Entries
    1
    No knock on Parker's vote haul intended by saying this . . .

    But the idea Rampe got no votes against the Hawks, and only one against GWS, is laughable.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  11. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    No knock on Parker's vote haul intended by saying this . . .

    But the idea Rampe got no votes against the Hawks, and only one against GWS, is laughable.
    that is why the Brownlow is now the 'Midfielders' medal''

  12. #48
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Nephew Of BT = Rowbottom
    I wish people would stop calling him that....it's hardly something to be proud of. I like Paddlebum better.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO