Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal.

Bob Skilton Medal.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    No knock on Parker's vote haul intended by saying this . . .

But the idea Rampe got no votes against the Hawks, and only one against GWS, is laughable.
    Fox Sports agrees:

‘Perhaps the umpires need to have a chat with the coaches about what to look for in games.

Remarkably, nine players were declared best on ground this season in the coaches’ votes but didn’t even poll a single Brownlow vote.

Dane Rampe (Round 8), Dom Sheed (R11), Zach Merrett (R11), Ed Curnow (R12), Tom Barrass (R12), Liam Ryan (R15), Nat Fyfe (R15), Nick Haynes (R15) and Tom Rockliff (R17) all polled the maximum 10 coaches’ votes in those rounds.’

Brownlow Medal 2020: Best stats, Lachie Neale, dominance, best season in VFL/AFL history, snubs, Nic Naitanui, Gill McLachlan | Fox Sports

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    that is why the Brownlow is now the 'Midfielders' medal''
    Yes, and just checking the AFL Record, the last defender to win was Wanganeen, back in 1993; who was listed as a back pocket. The last key position defender to win was Glendenning, back in 83.

Similar for forwards. When Hird won in 96, he was listed as a centre half forward: although he's probably considered to have been a midfielder, who spent a fair amount of time in the forward line. In that year, he kicked 39 goals and got 21 votes. However, Lockett kicked 121 and got 14 votes. Speaking of Plugger, he was the last genuine KPF to win, in 1987.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 19th October 2020 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Nephew Of BT = Rowbottom
    Obscure nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Obscure nickname.
    The players call Rowbottom ‘Rowy’. It’s simple and obvious. I reckon we should do the same.

I reckon that the Brownlow is important because of the hoopla and attention it gets, and because of its storied history. However I think the AFLCA's best player is a much more meaningful gong, and probably the most objectively accurate. I also think, as a player, it would be great to be recognised as MVP by your peers.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The players call Rowbottom ‘Rowy’. It’s simple and obvious. I reckon we should do the same.
    NOB is ridiculous. BT is ridiculous. Who would want their name associated with a ridiculous uncle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    NOB is ridiculous. BT is ridiculous. Who would want their name associated with a ridiculous uncle?
    You don't always get to choose your nickname and it is not unusual for them to be unwanted e.g. Jack Maibaum didn't want the nickname 'Bargain'.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Also ‘nob’ is a derogatory term implying someone is a posh person - I don’t see the need to lumber Rowbottom with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Parker coming equal FIFTH in the Brownlow only makes his non-selection in the All Australian SQUAD that much more of a farce. Unfortunately it is not the first time Parker has been on the receiving end of utter Victorian bias, do we all remember 2014?? It won't be the last time either...

The surprise for me was N.O.B. not receiving a single vote. If I think back to his outstanding performances, the North, Hawthorn and GWS matches come to mind, three occasions where he was up to his eyeballs in what were wins, so for his role in those wins not to be recognised was a bit of a shame.

Goes to show what a tough award it is to win, which makes Neale's runaway victory that much more impressive.
    I'm sorry to disagree with the assessment that the evidence shows what a tough award it is to win and makes Neale's runaway victory more impressive. I'll be the cynic this time and suggest that it shows that umpires are as frail as the rest of us, as much subject to peer pressure and the jumping on of band-wagons, even unconsciously. Neale's victory got a huge head of steam in the media even early in the season, and I cynically think it influences umpires. My exhibit B is, as has been highlighted, that it's the Midfielder's Medal.

(No wonder Harry C and Nick Smith have polled a total of zero votes!)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Also ‘nob’ is a derogatory term implying someone is a posh person - I don’t see the need to lumber Rowbottom with that.
    Nob is one of those strange words that can have a number of meanings. Being a "deadset nob" can mean a dill and being an absolute nob can mean best of the best. A nob punter is one that is good at picking winners.

Veterans List
    Parker's 5th in Brownlow count should put to bed the notion that he is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Parker's 5th in Brownlow count should put to bed the notion that he is overrated.
    On the contrary it proves the point. Lloyd won our B&F yet Parker earned 12 more Brownlow votes than him. If that isn't overrated then I don't know what is.

No way that Parker was the 5th best player (or equal 5th) in the comp this year.

*Before people get their knickers in a twist, saying someone is overrated is not the same as saying they aren't a good player...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast