Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    No knock on Parker's vote haul intended by saying this . . .

But the idea Rampe got no votes against the Hawks, and only one against GWS, is laughable.
    Correct.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Nob is one of those strange words that can have a number of meanings. Being a "deadset nob" can mean a dill and being an absolute nob can mean best of the best. A nob punter is one that is good at picking winners.
    That's interesting. I always thought that a nob punter was a bit of a drongo!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I haven’t heard nob used that way. Describing someone as a nob = ‘posh’ person is thought to derive from noble. So perhaps using nob to describe excellence is an extension of the same thought.

But describing someone as a deadset ‘nob’ (another of Nico’s examples) should actually be a deadset ‘knob’. And that slang in turn derives from one of the slang terms used to refer to a private part of a male’s anatomy!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Meg - in future I will know the difference between 'nob' and 'knob' and apply my knowledge appropriately!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

So not to confuse Rowbottom with other kinds of nobs and knobs, why don't we call him Swan Nephew Of Brian.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    So not to confuse Rowbottom with other kinds of nobs and knobs, why don't we call him Swan Nephew Of Brian.
    I see what you did there......but maybe let's not call him anything that associates him with Brian Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Not sure we are the appropriate home for a SNOB

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    If a horse is a wet tracker they say he is a nob in the wet.

Drongo was a horse back in the day (40's I believe) who couldn't win a race. Hence the term "he is a drongo" (meaning a loser). One of my dad's favourite terms.

Nob appears to be one of those words that has changed somewhat over the years to have a number of meanings in the vernacular of language, and this maybe peculiar to Australia, or even parts of Australia.
    Last edited by Nico; 20th October 2020 at 06:12 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    NOB is ridiculous. BT is ridiculous. Who would want their name associated with a ridiculous uncle?
    It is not James' fault that his uncle is Taylor. I believe his grandparents are responsible for that unfortunate situation.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    On the contrary it proves the point. Lloyd won our B&F yet Parker earned 12 more Brownlow votes than him. If that isn't overrated then I don't know what is.

No way that Parker was the 5th best player (or equal 5th) in the comp this year.

*Before people get their knickers in a twist, saying someone is overrated is not the same as saying they aren't a good player...
    Seems the guys who play with him rate him, given they just voted him the team's best player this season.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456