Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The guernsey is changing

This is only my first post, but a unification date sounds nice.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    This is only my first post, but a unification date sounds nice.
    .....but not your last! Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Just between you me and the fencepost bloodspirit, I suspect the original reason for celebrating 1874 instead of 1867 may have something to do with Catholicism.

In the interests of brevity -

19th century Melbourne was settled by free (as distinct from convict) labour and was predominantly protestant, and therefore prone to teetotalism. The gold rush made it far wealthier, but also increased the size and make-up of it's population.
    The Albert Park / South Melbourne area had a working class Irish immigrant taint, with a strong (but not universal) Catholic presence and had no issues with grog.

The 1867/Red-and-White club was founded in a pub and even elected a couple of office bearers with Irish surnames.

Despite, or perhaps because of this . . .

The 1874/Blue-and-White club was founded in a Temperance Hall - no alcohol whatsoever and no office bearers were elected with an Irish surname.
    Fascinating - thanks for sharing. It's hard to imagine the prejudices that existed against Catholics back then given how things have changed to the present day. It's particularly intriguing to notice the Melbourne flavour, with the topicality of the higher concentration of free labour there at that time. Sharing our history with us is your real point of difference, R'n'R. Much appreciated.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123