Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 trade period - all clubs

Veterans List
    Wow, never been a trade period that disastrous for a club as the Pies tonight.

Basically gave Treloar (who they are paying part of for the next five years), Stephenson and Phillips plus two second rounders for pick 14 and a future second.

Stunning stuff. If you missed it watch their List Mangler Ned Guy give an interview to Fox Footy, hugely embarrassing, cringe worthy in fact.

Fox panel thought we'd done well.

I felt like we finished mid-table in the trade period. Neither good nor bad. We gave up something (Aliir) but used it to achieve what we needed (a serviceable ruck and more draft points to pay for Academy players). However the range from winners to losers was distinct and, I'm with you 707, I can't remember another club having had as bad a trade period as Collingwood. And still with no satisfactory explanation.

I thought the teams that picked up the free agents for free did well: Saints, Lions, Blues. A couple of teams had modest wins - West Coast and maybe Hawthorn for instance. Geelong, I feel had a similar trade period to us, in so much as they paid overs to get what they wanted/needed (they paid high for Cameron both in terms of salary and picks) - except on a much bigger scale. While they have maximised their chances of getting a premiership in the next couple of seasons, they are likely to have problems after that. That was already on the cards and now they have exacerbated that issue by spending the windfall of picks they got from the Tim Kelly trade on Cameron.

I wonder how Essendon fans feel. They wound up with decent compensation for losing Daniher and Saad - but they lost them nonetheless. They got in Caldwell for a reasonable price. They sold Fantasia for a reasonble price. They didn't do the deal for Dunkley, which was probably smart - but when we made the same sensible choice not to pay overs for Daniher last year the media was all over us for "failing" to get the deal done. Anyway, their immediate future doesn't look too bright and I'm not that optimistic for them in the long term either - but they have a fantastic draft hand with picks 6,7 & 8 (a bit like Freo last year) and so that could change. I think their fans will feel a lot better after the ND.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I wonder how Essendon fans feel. They wound up with decent compensation for losing Daniher and Saad - but they lost them nonetheless. They got in Caldwell for a reasonable price. They sold Fantasia for a reasonble price. They didn't do the deal for Dunkley, which was probably smart - but when we made the same sensible choice not to pay overs for Daniher last year the media was all over us for "failing" to get the deal done. Anyway, their immediate future doesn't look too bright and I'm not that optimistic for them in the long term either - but they have a fantastic draft hand with picks 6,7 & 8 (a bit like Freo last year) and so that could change. I think their fans will feel a lot better after the ND.
    The smart Essendon fans would be looking at picks 6, 7 and 8 and speculating about whom they would be recruiting with those picks. Would one of the "Fab 5" still be available? Who would be the best of the rest?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The smart Essendon fans would be looking at picks 6, 7 and 8 and speculating about whom they would be recruiting with those picks. Would one of the "Fab 5" still be available? Who would be the best of the rest?
    Reckon our draft hand isn't too shabby either in comparison to Essendon, one of the "fab five" at pick 3, Campbell who is in that 6/7/8 bracket plus endurance ball magnet Gulden. Hoping we snare Papley Jnr with a late pick.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Wow, never been a trade period that disastrous for a club as the Pies tonight.
    Sounds like they have really messed up salary management, player management and relations with players.

Here's the ABC analysts trade wrap-up with some nice charts. Suggests "middling" for the Swans outcomes is about right.

The 2020 AFL trade period shows some teams are chasing Richmond, others play the long game and Collingwood takes step back

Reckon our draft hand isn't too shabby either in comparison to Essendon, one of the "fab five" at pick 3, Campbell who is in that 6/7/8 bracket plus endurance ball magnet Gulden. Hoping we snare Papley Jnr with a late pick.
    History would show that if you already have the "good" brother , hoping that the other brother is just as good is not a great bet. Id be happy to pass on Papleys brother unless he was lighting up the world. He has already probably gotten further than he deserves through his brothers reputation.

Senior Player
    Right on mate. And that's what the trade period gradings miss. For us, it was all about setting up for the draft and getting in someone who can carry the ruck position straight away. We achieved both objectives.

Can't wait for draft night; all prospects at pick 3 are genuinely exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Right on mate. And that's what the trade period gradings miss. For us, it was all about setting up for the draft and getting in someone who can carry the ruck position straight away. We achieved both objectives.

Can't wait for draft night; all prospects at pick 3 are genuinely exciting.
    No doubt the swans team will give us A shock by picking someone outside of the fan 5. Let’s hope not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    No doubt the swans team will give us A shock by picking someone outside of the fan 5. Let’s hope not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I share your sentiment - no funkiness, thanks.

Veterans List
    Can't believe how bad Collingwood have treated their players. They are facing a lot of backlash from their supporters. Buckley was proven to be a liar and where's Eddie? Normally you can't shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I share your sentiment - no funkiness, thanks.
    Me too. Hope we pick up the highly touted mid Hollands.

Veterans List
    We were always going to do Pick 3 and the 2 academy boys. Why would the club nurture these boys then do something from left field in trade week?

I have no doubt they will go for the best key position player at Pick 3 or best available.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast