Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 trade period - all clubs

2020 trade period - all clubs

I'm starting this separate thread to talk about the trade period generally, so as not to confuse it with the Swans-specific trading/drafting/list management thread, and because I'm curious about people's thoughts about the deals going down in general.

My assorted thoughts:

* Jeremy Cameron deal will get done. I love that the Giants matched - although like Damien Barrett I thought Jezza might be a bit peeved that he wasn't offered such a generous contract earlier. But that's market forces at work. I'm not sure what it will take to get the deal done but I'll watch with interest. The more Geelong pay, the happier I'll be.

* I'm curious why we didn't show more interest in Stef Martin as a stopgap ruck rather than pursuing Hickey. I flagged interest in Martin a couple of weeks ago. Bit sad to know he was gettable and is now going to the Dogs.

* Hogan to GWS. No comment at this stage. Probably worth the gamble for GWS given how little they're paying for him but not kicking myself we didn't do it.

* Crouch to Saints. Crows look lame not backing up their talk. Why wouldn't they match such a modest contract? Saints win - get good midfielder for free.

* Treloar. Disgusted by Magpies handling of this one. I wonder if there's any chance we'd be interested? Seems unlikely for logistical reasons and because he apparently wants either to stay at Collingwood or else in Melbourne. We don't have any trade currency but it might not be necessary depending on how much salary is paid. I reckon the Dunkley to Essendon and Treloar to the Dogs could make sense.

* Saad to Carlton. I think Essendon are absolutely within their rights to demand pick 8 and Carlton would be dumb not to pay it. I think Carlton should pay up even if they can't get another pick back. He's worth it.

* Conversely I think Essendon is deluded in demanding a first round pick for Fantasia. I think that 20 something pick seems about right.

* I also think Essendon have rocks in their head only offering a mid second rounder for Caldwell and for threatening to let him go to the PSD. He is exactly the kind of player any of North, us or Hawks would love to pounce on if he got to the PSD.

* I wonder where Tom McDonald is going to wind up. Kind of hoping it's not us, although I can't claim to have seen that much of him.

* I'm very curious about the player we may be targetting as a "scoring option".

* The Crows are in a strong position with Hately because they really can threaten to let him go to the PSD. They've got GWS over a barrel.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm starting this separate thread to talk about the trade period generally, so as not to confuse it with the Swans-specific trading/drafting/list management thread, and because I'm curious about people's thoughts about the deals going down in general.

My assorted thoughts:

* Jeremy Cameron deal will get done. I love that the Giants matched - although like Damien Barrett I thought Jezza might be a bit peeved that he wasn't offered such a generous contract earlier. But that's market forces at work. I'm not sure what it will take to get the deal done but I'll watch with interest. The more Geelong pay, the happier I'll be.

* I'm curious why we didn't show more interest in Stef Martin as a stopgap ruck rather than pursuing Hickey. I flagged interest in Martin a couple of weeks ago. Bit sad to know he was gettable and is now going to the Dogs.

* Hogan to GWS. No comment at this stage. Probably worth the gamble for GWS given how little they're paying for him but not kicking myself we didn't do it.

* Crouch to Saints. Crows look lame not backing up their talk. Why wouldn't they match such a modest contract? Saints win - get good midfielder for free.

* Treloar. Disgusted by Magpies handling of this one. I wonder if there's any chance we'd be interested? Seems unlikely for logistical reasons and because he apparently wants either to stay at Collingwood or else in Melbourne. We don't have any trade currency but it might not be necessary depending on how much salary is paid. I reckon the Dunkley to Essendon and Treloar to the Dogs could make sense.

* Saad to Carlton. I think Essendon are absolutely within their rights to demand pick 8 and Carlton would be dumb not to pay it. I think Carlton should pay up even if they can't get another pick back. He's worth it.

* Conversely I think Essendon is deluded in demanding a first round pick for Fantasia. I think that 20 something pick seems about right.

* I also think Essendon have rocks in their head only offering a mid second rounder for Caldwell and for threatening to let him go to the PSD. He is exactly the kind of player any of North, us or Hawks would love to pounce on if he got to the PSD.

* I wonder where Tom McDonald is going to wind up. Kind of hoping it's not us, although I can't claim to have seen that much of him.

* I'm very curious about the player we may be targetting as a "scoring option".

* The Crows are in a strong position with Hately because they really can threaten to let him go to the PSD. They've got GWS over a barrel.
    The problem with Martin is he’s 34. Probably only a one year solution, although Ryder has been a great stopgap for the Saints.

I think GWS did amazingly with Hogan. I hope we did our due diligence and decided the risk was too high for the potential reward.

I really worry about the Paddy McCartin talk because he’s potentially one head knock from something very serious.

The Crows didn’t have a leg to stand on with Crouch. No interest in keeping him. Trying to gane the system and found out.

Treloar is too old for us. I can see Treloar to Dogs to replace Dunkley happening.

It's funny about the lack of interest in Charlie Constable. He was rated a 1st round pick by many, but dropped to pick 36. He seems to fit the bill for all those wanting a big bodied midfielder, but no one seems to want him, and the Cats don't want to play him. I wonder if it's about Charlie, or the slowish big bodied midfielder is going out of vogue.

Peter Wright is another one that's received little interest, except from Essendon. I guess he still doesn't want to play ruckman, which has turned clubs off.

I'm still looking with interest at Mason Cox, Esava Rotugolea and Mabior Chol.

Veterans List
    Good idea starting this thread, can we all now please refrain from commenting on other clubs trades in the Swans Trade'n Draft thread.

Crouch and Crows was badly misjudged and badly handled from mid last season. Should have sent him off to GC last year when they were interested and scored what is now pick 5 this year.

Daniher was a similar misjudgement, two good first rounders last year, just one this year.

Cameron will get done for picks, Cats made the template reaming WCE last year, two firsts and a later pick for Cameron, no player willing to go to GWS

Saad for pick 8 is overs, got to be a decent pick coming back to balance it or Carlton will swap it for Brisbane's two late firsts and deal one to Essendon

Dunkley with two years left is a good first and a second but given JUH is swallowing 2020 picks, Dogs wuill want 2021 picks

Port's offer for Fanta Sia was very fair, probably a bit overs from general comment

Pies are in real strife, best if ALL clubs let them wallow in it. Maguire who is opinionated and vocal about everything in footy is stunningly quiet on their predicament. Treloar for all his footy ability could be a very dangerous pick up given it's a five year contract on huge money, not sure where his head space is at now or in the life of the contract - Caveat Emptor

Dodo, what a show. The usual chronic over rating of Essendon players going out, Saad & Fanta Sia, under rating of players coming in, Caldwell & Dunkley. Would absolutely love it if every club left him standing at the altar with withered flowers come 7.30 Thursday night. Might pay for all clubs to stall until the final hour :-)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Essendon's quite optimistic at the trade table: demanding a first-round pick for Saad and a future first-round pick for Fantasia, while only offering a future second-round pick for Calwell. They seem to think they are entitled to have three picks in the first eight this year, two first-round picks next year, while getting Calwell for a future second-round pick, Peter Wright for very little and getting Josh Dunkley as well.

Tell 'em they're dreaming...
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Essendon's quite optimistic at the trade table: demanding a first-round pick for Saad and a future first-round pick for Fantasia, while only offering a future second-round pick for Calwell. They seem to think they are entitled to have three picks in the first eight this year, two first-round picks next year, while getting Calwell for a future second-round pick, Peter Wright for very little and getting Josh Dunkley as well.

Tell 'em they're dreaming...
    Dodo the King of the ambit claims.

Trade period is for improving your list. What’s going on at Collingwood? I cannot understand it. I know salary cap is a problem but surely they are not that stupid to cause such a severe headache for themselves.
    They are ready to move on 4 players and there is no talk in improving their forward line at all. Am I missing something? If they move on Treloar and Stephenson who are they going to replace them with? Scott Pendlebury is 32 and Steele Sidebottom is 29. They are their best 2 players who play consistently. Last year and this year was probably their best year to win the flag. Do they now think that they are past the peak ? And would rather get more younger ones like Daicos?
    Or are they trying to twist these players arms to renegotiate to reduce their wages? Could we do that with Buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Trade period is for improving your list. What’s going on at Collingwood?

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    are they trying to twist these players arms to renegotiate to reduce their wages? Could we do that with Buddy?

I doubt that is their realistic goal (although they might be happy if they could achieve it and they might be able to renegotiate when they pay their players more than how much). We could not do the same with Buddy. The main reason is that it would achieve nothing because the AFL has told us his originally negotiated wages will count in our salary cap more or less come what may. Besides which I don't think we would have the same leverage over Buddy and there would probably be no suitors that would be willing to pony up anywhere near enough money to make it worth our while.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

I doubt that is their realistic goal (although they might be happy if they could achieve it and they might be able to renegotiate when they pay their players more than how much). We could not do the same with Buddy. The main reason is that it would achieve nothing because the AFL has told us his originally negotiated wages will count in our salary cap more or less come what may. Besides which I don't think we would have the same leverage over Buddy and there would probably be no suitors that would be willing to pony up anywhere near enough money to make it worth our while.
    I always wondered if we could trade Buddy to another club and then trade him straight back again to break the RFA shackles, and to watch Mike F’s head explode

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I always wondered if we could trade Buddy to another club and then trade him straight back again to break the RFA shackles, and to watch Mike F’s head explode
    If Sydney tried that, the AFL would hit the club with the banhammer again.

If Geelong or Collingwood tried something like that, the AFL would do nothing. As usual.

I wonder when Essendon are going to get serious about their trades. Maybe Thursday? What do they gain by all the high stakes hoopla? Do they really win anything from it? I'm beginning to hope that they will bollocks the Dunkley deal and then Collingwood will either be stuck with Treloar or have to sell him even cheaper. (The only problem there is that Hawthorn may be the winner.)

I also keep hoping that some spillage might come our way. Jye Caldwell in particular looks attractive. Essendon will be beyond stupid if they let him go to the PSD.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast