Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 19

Thread: Welcome Tom Hickey to Swans

  1. #1
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    430

    Welcome Tom Hickey to Swans

    Hickey to create history

    A very interesting read! It is full of interesting facts food for trivia night. I have never paid attention to him but I am now keen to see how he will contribute to our ruck contests, According to Gardiner on the "Trade Deadline Day show", "The Swans see Tom Hickey and Callum Sinclair in the same side, with the latter spending more time forward". I am excited.

  2. #2
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hickey to create history

    A very interesting read! It is full of interesting facts food for trivia night. I have never paid attention to him but I am now keen to see how he will contribute to our ruck contests, According to Gardiner on the "Trade Deadline Day show", "The Swans see Tom Hickey and Callum Sinclair in the same side, with the latter spending more time forward". I am excited.
    A good interview with Tom here (for those with Spotify). Seems a good bloke.

    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Y6...SBKfUyEuXXmUUQ

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    A good interview with Tom here (for those with Spotify). Seems a good bloke.

    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Y6...SBKfUyEuXXmUUQ
    Sorry, that was Gardiner.

    Here's Hickey: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1Xt...SiiYxPmn3L7f4g

  3. #3
    Losing Aliir does create some uncertainty on second ruck options. We don't have anyone who could really pinch hit.
    Dawson needs to be more stable in his role as he looks to go to the next level. McCartin is a key defender. Reid perhaps, he actually competed well against Witts during the year (better than Sinclair).
    We may be forced to play two rucks consistently. Hopefully Amartey or a draftee can take the #2 spot through the season.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hickey to create history

    A very interesting read! It is full of interesting facts food for trivia night. I have never paid attention to him but I am now keen to see how he will contribute to our ruck contests, According to Gardiner on the "Trade Deadline Day show", "The Swans see Tom Hickey and Callum Sinclair in the same side, with the latter spending more time forward". I am excited.
    Great read about Hickey creating history. But they got Craig Davis’ number wrong. I’m fairly certain he wore #60 not #50 with us?

  5. #5
    Welcome Tom! Looking forward to 2021 with you in the team.

  6. #6
    Lifer! Molly dooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South east sydney
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay View View Post
    Welcome Tom! Looking forward to 2021 with you in the team.
    +1 Exciting

  7. #7
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney East
    Posts
    4,184
    I guess one aspect (of many) of this deal I don't understand is why resign Amartey if you're going to sign Hickey - if we think Amartey is worth the investment, then surely the answer is to play him and find out whether in fact he is the ruck we're looking for. He will now remain ruck option #4 and increasingly unlikely to ever play much AFL footy.

  8. #8
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW, Costa Lantana
    Posts
    6,731
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I guess one aspect (of many) of this deal I don't understand is why resign Amartey if you're going to sign Hickey - if we think Amartey is worth the investment, then surely the answer is to play him and find out whether in fact he is the ruck we're looking for. He will now remain ruck option #4 and increasingly unlikely to ever play much AFL footy.
    Surely you have heard of the Swans belief that you can't have too many ruckmen?!

    Actually I'm pleased to see him, given the injury problem with Sam, the forced overuse of Sinkers and the lack of experience of Amartey. Interesting times ahead.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  9. #9
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Great read about Hickey creating history. But they got Craig Davis’ number wrong. I’m fairly certain he wore #60 not #50 with us?
    Craig Davis - Wore #60 for 9 games in 1988.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  10. #10
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I guess one aspect (of many) of this deal I don't understand is why resign Amartey if you're going to sign Hickey - if we think Amartey is worth the investment, then surely the answer is to play him and find out whether in fact he is the ruck we're looking for. He will now remain ruck option #4 and increasingly unlikely to ever play much AFL footy.
    The explanation is they don't see Amartey as a first choice ruck (reasonably, on the evidence), but have re-signed him in recognition that we need depth in the position (like every club) and someone to play ruck in reserves. We're also short on talls, so he is a useful utility.

    He's undersized so it seems unlikely he'll be a competitive ruck at AFL level. But, he should have a decent opportunity to impress in a higher quality reserves comp next year; we have shown we'll play guys playing well in reserves, so if he's good enough, he'll get a shot.

    I think you're looking for illogic when it isn't there, g.

  11. #11
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    2,867
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  12. #12
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    716
    Does anyone know if the new one year deal for Amartey included an upgrade to the senior list. If it did it will mean an extra delisting will be needed but if not then it probably is curtains for McLean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO