Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules of the game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Player

Rules of the game

The thing which interested me most out of the article on rule changes was the suggestion the game will revert to 20min plus time on. That would be a relief - the abbreviated game length last season really bugged me, and I thought they might hedge at something between 16 and 20. The longer game length makes for a much better spectacle, in my view.

AFL rule changes reveal: Rotations slashed, 'man on mark' on notice

Veterans List
    Stop the clock when players are setting up to kick for goal. Time starts again when the ball is kicked. This will stop the likes of Brown taking a minute plus off the clock. This practice takes the suspense out of a close finish and irks me big time. Having the count down clock is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Stop the clock when players are setting up to kick for goal. Time starts again when the ball is kicked. This will stop the likes of Brown taking a minute plus off the clock. This practice takes the suspense out of a close finish and irks me big time. Having the count down clock is lame.
    This annoys me too, especially players who don't intend to take a shot on goal anyway, but are clearly wasting time. The same time limit should apply for all marks, whether a player is taking a shot or just playing on, whatever that is, 7 seconds, 10 seconds.

I've noticed that NFL field goal kicking is becoming increasingly accurate. The accuracy rate from over 50 yards is now over 70%. Maybe players who take a lot of set shots should practice this technique. It will be a new skill, since it's a soccer style kick that's used in gridiron.

Ben Brown doesn't take a minute plus off the clock. He has a maximum of 30 seconds like everyone else. And the umpires are permitted to hurry players along if it appears they are milking the full 30.

The new rule changes really suit the styles of player we've been drafting over the past few years. Skilled users who can get to contests repeatedly and cover serious ground. Dawson, Blakey, Stephens, McInerney, Florent etc. And soon to be Campbell and Gulden.

The man on the mark and reduced interchange rules really play in to that for us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Ben Brown doesn't take a minute plus off the clock. He has a maximum of 30 seconds like everyone else. And the umpires are permitted to hurry players along if it appears they are milking the full 30.
    Brown has 30 seconds to start his run up. He then spends another 10 to 20 seconds running in before he kicks the ball.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The thing which interested me most out of the article on rule changes was the suggestion the game will revert to 20min plus time on. That would be a relief - the abbreviated game length last season really bugged me, and I thought they might hedge at something between 16 and 20. The longer game length makes for a much better spectacle, in my view.

AFL rule changes reveal: Rotations slashed, 'man on mark' on notice
    I don't know why the AFL doesn't just leave the game alone they do an knee-jerk reaction to something which then stuff the game up to which they do a knee-jerk reaction which stuff the game up to which they do a knee-jerk reaction and sew on

Veterans List
    So if you're manning the mark you have to basically stand like a statue now otherwise it's 50 metres. What is wrong with this administration?

If they want the game to flow quicker they need to start penalising players that continue holding down their opponent after a free is paid. It happens time and time again and yet nothing happens. But if you step over the mark by 1cm you are penalised 50 metres.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    So if you're manning the mark you have to basically stand like a statue now otherwise it's 50 metres. What is wrong with this administration?

If they want the game to flow quicker they need to start penalising players that continue holding down their opponent after a free is paid. It happens time and time again and yet nothing happens. But if you step over the mark by 1cm you are penalised 50 metres.
    I agree, holding up a player for any reason after a free is paid should be 50. If an infringing player doesn't throw the ball directly back to the player who's won a free, that's 50. It holds up play. Why not a 50 for physically holding up a player?

Another rule that the AFL should really change is the deliberate out of bounds. It's stupid. It requires the umpires to be mind-readers.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

+1000
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Great, another 50 metre penalty for a absolute crap reason. The being in the protected zone 50 metre penalties drive everyone nuts, it's a game changing penalty for something that doesn't really impinge anyone.

I hate rules that see players incessantly appealing to the umpire and pointing to get their attention, like deliberate OOB, encroaching on the protected zone, rushing through for a behind

Seems even with the big HQ staff cuts we still have too many unnecessary people there dreaming up stuff.

How about fixing up the player pointing at the goals to milk 30 seconds off the clock to then not go for goal but pass it off, cheating gamesmanship like that needs to be called play on. Fix up deliberately hold a player down after a free has been paid or obstructing the player retrieving the ball from legs etc. So many things they could fix but don't.

Ben Brown wastes time because the 30 seconds is to start your run up, Brown goes back so far that he takes another 30 seconds to giraffe gallop in after he's had his 30 seconds

Ben Brown runs back to take his kicks. If you think he's a blight on the game, you are worrying about the wrong things.
    The delaying of a player taking a free kick is a real issue, and something umpires need to crack down on. The rules are already in place for that, they just need to focus on it.

I like the adjustment of not allowing a player to change on the mark. Really opens the play up behind them, as they can't move back and allow another player to get back and cover the mark. It will really get play moving.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Ben Brown runs back to take his kicks. If you think he's a blight on the game, you are worrying about the wrong things.
    The delaying of a player taking a free kick is a real issue, and something umpires need to crack down on. The rules are already in place for that, they just need to focus on it.

I like the adjustment of not allowing a player to change on the mark. Really opens the play up behind them, as they can't move back and allow another player to get back and cover the mark. It will really get play moving.
    When a player stands over the ball and doesn't allow the player who has been paid the free to pick it up, is blatant time wasting to allow players to flood back into defence. The other one that irks me is when the player on the mark is pushed or blocked by another player from the team that is taking the kick. Should be obstruction and 50 metres. Both of these are Hawthorn tactics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Simple tweak is to make the 30 seconds a shot clock like basketball...in others words 0:00 equals “play on”.
    I don't like any form of a shot clock. It is just a knock off from another sport. Just call time on until the player kicks it. If he handballs off it's play on. The time keepers know what they are doing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast