Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Expectations for 2021 season

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I think most of the AFL community misread the Swans 2019 and 2020 seasons. They finished bottom four in both seasons but were perhaps the greatest ever bottom 4 team in both seasons.

They were decimated by huge injury lists in those two seasons, many of which were to key players.

Despite the difficulties in those two years they were never thrashed and experienced many narrow losses. It would not have taken too much to put some of those narrow losses in the win columns, which would have given those seasons a different complexion. That didn’t happen because the best cattle was often out injured.
    The "never thrashed" is subjective, but it is true that the Swans didn't lose by over 10 goals at any time in the last two years.

All losses 40 points or more in 2019 and 2020:
    2019, R6: GWS (H), 41 points
    2019, R21: Port (A), 47 points
    2020: R9: St Kilda (A), 53 points

And that's all. In 2019, there were also four wins over 40 points, and in 2020 there was one.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm revising my expectations upwards based on our performances and those of other teams. I now reckon we can win a final! That would be great preparation for success in the coming seasons.
    Despite our declining performances over the past three rounds, I'm not ready to give up on the hope of playing finals this year and hopefully winning one. Even if we lose against Geelong and Melbourne, provided we don't get completely blown away, I think we can stay optimistic. There are a lot of other clubs that have been underperforming too e.g. Carlton, Collingwood, GWS, Saints. We are right there with Freo competing for the bottom half of the 8 spots. Agree?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Despite our declining performances over the past three rounds, I'm not ready to give up on the hope of playing finals this year and hopefully winning one. Even if we lose against Geelong and Melbourne, provided we don't get completely blown away, I think we can stay optimistic. There are a lot of other clubs that have been underperforming too e.g. Carlton, Collingwood, GWS, Saints. We are right there with Freo competing for the bottom half of the 8 spots. Agree?
    Yes. But we need some of our injured players back. And we need a ruckman.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Agree. It's a long season but there are basically 9 teams chasing 8 spots - the current eight plus West Coast.

Of the others - Norf and Pies. Gone.
    Saints - cooked, and wretched percentage.
    Hawks, Ess and GWS - rebuilding
    Carlton - lol
    Suns - not there yet, even on their best days.
    Adelaide - good on them for their start, but don't see them sustaining it sufficiently to make finals.

So, you'd back WCE to win enough at home to get into the finals, and you'd lock in the Dees, Port and Dogs based on wins so far. Geelong, Richmond, and Brisbane will be good too.

Leaves us and Freo fighting for the last slot.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Except we have a kinder draw than most of the others (not sure about Freo).

- - - Updated - - -

We've got double ups against Suns, Bombers, Giants Saints and someone else from memory. And we caught Lions and Tigers at a good time.

Except we have a kinder draw than most of the others (not sure about Freo).

- - - Updated - - -

We've got double ups against Suns, Bombers, Giants Saints and someone else from memory. And we caught Lions and Tigers at a good time.
    Not sure double ups against the Giants and Suns is a good thing...

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Not sure double ups against the Giants and Suns is a good thing...
    On the basis of absolutely nothing but the results of this season, we'd be better off playing the Lions and Tigers twice
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

There's a page on Facebook called "Useless AFL stats". Well worth a follow.
    They posted today a ladder for "time spent watching your team losing", which added up the amount of time a club has been behind on the scoreboard from 2012 to today.

The Swans were #1 (i.e. the least amount of time spent losing) with 9064 minutes, or 151 hours.
    Brisbane were last, with almost 15k minutes (250 hours).

Just a reminder to be grateful for the team we get to support

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    There's a page on Facebook called "Useless AFL stats". Well worth a follow.
    They posted today a ladder for "time spent watching your team losing", which added up the amount of time a club has been behind on the scoreboard from 2012 to today.

The Swans were #1 (i.e. the least amount of time spent losing) with 9064 minutes, or 151 hours.
    Brisbane were last, with almost 15k minutes (250 hours).

Just a reminder to be grateful for the team we get to support
    Grateful but people have too much time on their hands

Gratitude is sparse it seems. Swans had to post a note on the Sydney Swans Instagram page after the loss on Saturday asking people to refrain from posting abusive comments.

Pretty poor attitude from some supposed ‘fans’ it seems.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Gratitude is sparse it seems. Swans had to post a note on the Sydney Swans Instagram page after the loss on Saturday asking people to refrain from posting abusive comments.

Wow that's really disappointing. I guess every team has "those" supporters so I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

That’s really disappointing, go and support another team if you can’t take the good with the bad . I remember early 90’s wondering if my team would even exist soon . Then to witness 5 grand finals and 2 premierships since .
    Unbelievable by some keyboard warriors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk