Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Monday they started around 9.30am. This time they trained in one big group.

Though there was a smaller group of 7 players that did a lighter session, some skill drills and a lot of straight line running. I think it was Brand, Franklin, Naismith, Papley, Cunningham, Heeney and Mcinerney. I did not really watch this group. But later Papley and Heeney were kicking the ball to each other practicing leads. Franklin was also Kicking the ball back and forth with one of the coaches.

Skill Drills
    They split up into groups and rotated through what seemed to be 3 different skill drills. These skill drills had more pressure compared to what they were doing last week.
    - Picking up a ground ball and then handballing off with another player putting pressure on.
    - Warmed up by wrestling in a upright position. Then practice tackles that wrap up the ball (both players on their feet).
    - Kicking drill where a player would receive the ball, a defensive player would man the mark forcing them to back up and kick to one of two options.

Kicking Drill
    Just kicking the ball back and forth in pairs or threes.

Kicking Drill
    3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Kicking the ball diagonally and then running forward to the opposite side.

2 Drills
    - Long kick to a player who would tap it down to a player running past them
    - Drill where they work the ball upfield by repeatedly kicking to one of two leading options and continuing to run upfield.

Handball Drill
    4 attackers handpass their way through 3 defenders

Kicking Drill
    Kicking the ball on the run to a player running towards you

5 vs 4 Sim
    5 Attackers would start from the back and try to work the ball upfield against 4 defenders. A lot of focus on moving to create space and continuing to run forward.

12 vs 9 Sim
    Similiarly 12 attackers would try to work the ball upfield against 9 defenders. Though there was more of a realistic structure. There would be 4 vs 3 in the Backs, 4 vs 3 in the Mids and 4 vs 3 in the Forwards. And players were playing in their usual position. Again a lot of focus on leading into space and running forward to create passing options.

Running
    The group split. Some players on lighter training did the drill where they work the ball upfield.

The other players did running. It seemed to be 2-3 timed sets of 1km with a bit of rest in between. Most players just did the first 2 1km.

I only wrote down the finishing order of the 2nd 1km. Mills, Gulden, Mclean, Rampe, Stephens, Ronke and Ling were the first 7 in the 2nd 1km. I think Rampe might have won the 1st 1km run. And Mclean won the 3rd 1km run.

Various smaller groups
    Group split up into multiple smaller groups.
    - O'Connor, Dawson, McCartin and Mclean were doing contested marking of a high ball
    - Gulden was kicking to Hayward who was practicing leads.
    - Cox was working with Hickey and the mids practicing ruck taps. Interestingly Mills and Campbell were in this group. Sinclair was doing boundary running most of the session but joined in as well.
    - Other players were doing other stuff
    - Training finished around 12pm

Casual impressions

Without making any firm judgments the newer players seem to be what I expected.
    - McDonald. The 12 vs 9 sim was the first chance I got to see him play as a forward in a structured situation. He was making leads into space and seems to have firm hands to mark the ball on the run.
    - Sheather. Seems well built for a 1st year player. Looks to be playing as a medium forward.
    - Malachy. Played as a defender in the 12 vs 9 sim and made some accurate passes. During the running initially looks a bit awkward but he usually finishes near the front. Tries hard during the running and tires himself out. In the 1st 1km he was near the front but in the middle of the pack in the next run.
    - Campbell. Seems to move well and has a flat pass. Looks to be training with the mids.
    - Gulden. Hard running, likes to remain involved and likes making short chipped passes. Looks to be training with the forwards.

- Positionally in the 12 vs 9 sim. Mills seemed to be playing in the mids and McCartin seemed to be playing with the defenders.
    - Last year I remember people were criticising Mclean for his agility. But he looked really strong in the running and was very fresh in the 3rd 1km. In the 12 vs 9 sim he was playing as key forward. Also looked good in the contested marking in being able to take a mark above his head.
    Last edited by SeanM; 11th January 2021 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks again for your posts, SeanM, and yours last week, Mountain Man. You are a very dedicated fan to be attending so regularly - and reporting so thoroughly!

Really impressed by McLean's improved running. He and Gould were two of those reported as being most improved in the time trials from last year to this year. I always want to see everyone improve, and get their debuts, and have breakout years etc. I wish McLean well but I'm undecided whether he has enough weapons in his armoury to make it as a regular first team player. In his favour is that he plays a position where we have least depth.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    - Campbell. Seems to move well and has a flat pass. Looks to be training with the mids.
    - Gulden. Hard running, likes to remain involved and likes making short chipped passes. Looks to be training with the forwards.
    Much has been said about Campbell's high velocity worm burners - they no longer require repetition. Sometimes low velocity chipped passes are better for the forwards, particularly when they're leading. Luke Power's kicking schools were underappreciated for some time outside of Brisbane. I'm not comparing the two, just reminding myself that there's no prize for the elegance of a kick during the game - only it's effectiveness.

Last year I remember people were criticising Mclean for his agility. But he looked really strong in the running and was very fresh in the 3rd 1km. In the 12 vs 9 sim he was playing as key forward. Also looked good in the contested marking in being able to take a mark above his head.
    Delighted to hear McLean has a good tank. With McCartin moving down back, neither Buddy nor Sam dependable, and neither Nick and Logan ready to rule the forward line - I really feel there is a spot for someone to a) provide a big target and make space up forward, and b) Give our ruckman a short break.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Campbell, too, once he earns a spot in the side. The kick into the forward 50 is by far the most difficult and most important, so makes sense to have the absolute best kickers hanging around the wings and half-forward.
    We haven't been too good at those kicks into the forward line in recent times, but the potential of fixing this quickly looks promising. Dawson and Campbell are a couple of players that do this well.

Stephens and McInerney (based on his last few games) are another pair who could slot into spots that run through the midfield. Ling seems to be running well now and brings that good combination of vision and precise kicking needed to connect with the forward line.

Florent is one that needs to find his kicking form, which was highly rated at the time he was drafted.

Overall, the Swans have developed into a good kicking side. The skills are there. We just need to bring it on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Much has been said about Campbell's high velocity worm burners - they no longer require repetition. Sometimes low velocity chipped passes are better for the forwards, particularly when they're leading. Luke Power's kicking schools were underappreciated for some time outside of Brisbane. I'm not comparing the two, just reminding myself that there's no prize for the elegance of a kick during the game - only it's effectiveness.

Delighted to hear McLean has a good tank. With McCartin moving down back, neither Buddy nor Sam dependable, and neither Nick and Logan ready to rule the forward line - I really feel there is a spot for someone to a) provide a big target and make space up forward, and b) Give our ruckman a short break.
    McLean is my smokey for the season. In his first year, I think he did the preseason with South Adelaide and then got injured almost as soon as he came to us. When he got on the field, he looked pretty good when it was in his area, but his area was pretty limited. He gradually started to improve his mobility, until I was starting to wonder if he might be worth another contract. He then debuted late in the season and pretty well ensured that contract, with a spirited performance against Fremantle.

Last year was much the same. Injured early; started to hit form late.

Since he has strong hands, a straight kick and a good attitude, with increased mobility, he could go from a goal a game player, to someone who often bobs up for two or three. Either that, or he becomes the next Jesse White. As in, somebody who looks like they should start dominating matches, but never really does. However, I think the former is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We haven't been too good at those kicks into the forward line in recent times, but the potential of fixing this quickly looks promising. Dawson and Campbell are a couple of players that do this well.

Stephens and McInerney (based on his last few games) are another pair who could slot into spots that run through the midfield. Ling seems to be running well now and brings that good combination of vision and precise kicking needed to connect with the forward line.

Florent is one that needs to find his kicking form, which was highly rated at the time he was drafted.

Overall, the Swans have developed into a good kicking side. The skills are there. We just need to bring it on game day.
    Hey, long time, no post.

Looking forward to seeing how both Stephens and McInerney develop this year. Both have excellent endurance; especially Stephens. Both take good options and hit their targets; especially McInerney. If both can add a bit more muscle, it should improve their ability to lay tackles and win contested ball. If that happens, they will be well on their way to elite.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks again for your posts, SeanM, and yours last week, Mountain Man. You are a very dedicated fan to be attending so regularly - and reporting so thoroughly!

Really impressed by McLean's improved running. He and Gould were two of those reported as being most improved in the time trials from last year to this year. I always want to see everyone improve, and get their debuts, and have breakout years etc. I wish McLean well but I'm undecided whether he has enough weapons in his armoury to make it as a regular first team player. In his favour is that he plays a position where we have least depth.
    From watching McLean in the NEAFL and AFL in the last two seasons, he seemed like he could take a mark above his head and was able to aggressively outbody opponents in the marking and ruck contests.

Though he seemed to lack a bit of agility and sometimes struggled to stay involved for the whole game. So I thought his improved running was a good sign. (although good middle distance running around the boundary may not translate to the match itself)

I think McLean could be useful for our forward line in being able to take a contested mark in a pack of players. It could just be him and Reid who could play that role. Especially if McCartin plays in defence and if Franklin misses games.
    Last edited by SeanM; 11th January 2021 at 08:37 PM.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    McLean did look capable of that role SeanM but I'm not sure about Reid.
    Does Sam take many contested marks in a pack of players?
    I think he is more successful when allowed to arrive late, coming in from the side or from behind.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I did notice that they're STILL wearing shirts.
    Come on Sydney weather - heat up a bit will ya!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

From watching McLean in the NEAFL and AFL in the last two seasons, he seemed like he could take a mark above his head and was able to aggressively outbody opponents in the marking and ruck contests.

Though he seemed to lack a bit of agility and sometimes struggled to stay involved for the whole game. So I thought his improved running was a good sign. (although good middle distance running around the boundary may not translate to the match itself)

I think McLean could be useful for our forward line in being able to take a contested mark in a pack of players. It could just be him and Reid who could play that role. Especially if McCartin plays in defence and if Franklin misses games.
    The player I would most compare McLean to within the Swans is Cal Sinclair. They both offer a big body and an aggressive, competitive attitude. However, at this early stage of his career, McLean offers less than Cal. McLean has played 10 games, scored 5 goals and averaged 8 disposals, 7 hitouts and 0.4 contested marks. Sinclair averages about the same number of goals (playing mostly in the ruck), 12 disposals, over 20 hitouts and 1 contested mark per game. Cal is also an inch taller. So I kind of see Hayden as Sinclair-lite but with more scope for improvement.

This is why I would consider selecting both Sinclair and Hickey in the same side if Buddy and Naismith are unavailable, and if McDonald isn't ready and McCartin is playing back.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Sam Reid by comparison offers 1 goal, 11 disposals, 1.5 contested marks per game and has great agility and versatility (but doesn't offer an equivalent ruck option).

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Has O'Riordan come back to Australia? I haven't noticed him in the training photos. Maybe he is in quarantine.
    In the latest "Conversations with Cal" podcast the two Callums give him a call in his hotel. It doesn't sound like fun being stuck in a single room for that long.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast