Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The latest injury update is up on the Swans website.

Players mentioned: Franklin (hamstring), Heeney (ankle), Papley (knee), Blakey (shoulder), Hewett (back). All have modified training programs and are making progress.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The latest injury update is up on the Swans website.

Players mentioned: Franklin (hamstring), Heeney (ankle), Papley (knee), Blakey (shoulder), Hewett (back). All have modified training programs and are making progress.
    The list looks in pretty good nick for this time of year.

Amartey and Ronke appear to be back in full training from reports, so I'm assuming they've fully recovered from injuries of last season. They need to have injury free years to continue their development and show that they are capable of being first team players, even if they struggle to leapfrog more established players and better prospects at this time.

I rate Amartey and McLean as 50-50 prospects, meaning I think 1 should make it, but not sure which one it will be. I think Ronke is capable of being a regular in an AFL side, but it could be difficult to crack into the Swans lineup with so much young midfield depth. Even if he doesn't get many games in 2021, hopefully he can raise his trade value and get a shot somewhere else.

Melican, McCartin, Rampe, Fox, Lloyd and Cunningham have the edge for our starting back 6. Brand, O'Connor, Gould and O'Riordan will be vying for spots in a solid looking backline that seems too deep to warrant another year back there for Callum Mills, who should finally be headed for the midfield.

Lance looks to be in personal rebuild mode. I like the way our medical and conditioning team have handled the situation. Now we just have to get lucky and keep him injury free. When I see players in other sports playing near their best even beyond their mid thirties, I have some hope that Lance can do the same. 3 standouts are Cristiano Ronaldo at 35, Lebron James at 36 and Tom Brady at 43; so why can't Lance Franklin keep it going for another 5 or 6 years?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    In the latest "Conversations with Cal" podcast the two Callums give him a call in his hotel. It doesn't sound like fun being stuck in a single room for that long.
    Thanks for that. I've been waiting for a new Cal podcast.

NoCookies | The Australian

6months for an ankle > Heeney.

As expected a long recovery serious injury...........

Fingers crossed for a strong rehab next month or so and ready for rd 1-3 ?

- - - Updated - - -

If Bud could take a Plugger Mark he may be able to last 3 more seasons
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    If Bud could take a Plugger Mark he may be able to last 3 more seasons
    If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle - but she doesn't and she isn't.
    I'd love to be wrong, but if he hasn't developed that skill in he first 15 years in the AFL, I just can't see Buddy developing it in the last 2 years.
    I fear it's more likely that Buddy's transition from Holy Cow to Giant Albatross will continue.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The list looks in pretty good nick for this time of year.

Amartey and Ronke appear to be back in full training from reports, so I'm assuming they've fully recovered from injuries of last season. They need to have injury free years to continue their development and show that they are capable of being first team players, even if they struggle to leapfrog more established players and better prospects at this time.

I rate Amartey and McLean as 50-50 prospects, meaning I think 1 should make it, but not sure which one it will be. I think Ronke is capable of being a regular in an AFL side, but it could be difficult to crack into the Swans lineup with so much young midfield depth. Even if he doesn't get many games in 2021, hopefully he can raise his trade value and get a shot somewhere else.

Melican, McCartin, Rampe, Fox, Lloyd and Cunningham have the edge for our starting back 6. Brand, O'Connor, Gould and O'Riordan will be vying for spots in a solid looking backline that seems too deep to warrant another year back there for Callum Mills, who should finally be headed for the midfield.

Lance looks to be in personal rebuild mode. I like the way our medical and conditioning team have handled the situation. Now we just have to get lucky and keep him injury free. When I see players in other sports playing near their best even beyond their mid thirties, I have some hope that Lance can do the same. 3 standouts are Cristiano Ronaldo at 35, Lebron James at 36 and Tom Brady at 43; so why can't Lance Franklin keep it going for another 5 or 6 years?
    And Drew Brees will turn 42, a couple of days prior to the Saints taking out Brady's Bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle - but she doesn't and she isn't.
    I'd love to be wrong, but if he hasn't developed that skill in he first 15 years in the AFL, I just can't see Buddy developing it in the last 2 years.
    I fear it's more likely that Buddy's transition from Holy Cow to Giant Albatross will continue.
    Let’s see what happens this year. I’m optimistic we’ll get a dozen games out of him at least.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Let’s see what happens this year. I’m optimistic we’ll get a dozen games out of him at least.
    That dozen would be the nine H&A games after the bye and three finals :-)

Any sightings of Barry O'Connor at training? I believe we chose to stay here rather than go home to Ireland for the break, in hindsight a bloody smart decision!
    Last edited by 707; 13th January 2021 at 05:21 PM.

So no mention of Naismith - back in full training?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Any sightings of Barry O'Connor at training? I believe we chose to stay here rather than go home to Ireland for the break, in hindsight a bloody smart decision!
    Yes I saw him in one of the training photos.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Full training. Been training with the defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    So no mention of Naismith - back in full training?
    Been in the group of 7 or 8 that are doing light training. Naismith been doing light skill drills, static exercises and some straight line jogging.

On Wednesday training started around 9am and finished around 11am. They were in one big group again.

Although there was a group of 8 doing lighter training separate from the rest. Mainly skill drills, straight line running and some high knee exercises. I think it was Naismith, Brand, Franklin, Malachy, Heeney, Cunningham, Papley and Mcinerney.

Warmup
    They ran around a square with 4 fitness stations set up. Sprints, sideways movement, high knees and weaving between poles.

Kicking in Pairs
    Players split up into pairs or threes. And just kicked the ball back and forth. Initially flat passes and then longer higher passes to advantage.

3 Skill stations
    Rotated through 3 skill stations
    - Kicking with a man on the mark and trying to land then ball in an area designated with cones.
    - Handball drill. 4 attackers handpass through 2 defenders
    - Picking up a rolling ground ball and having a quick shot from 35m out from goal

Handpass drill diagonal
    - 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and handpass towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Kicking Drill diagonal
    - 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and kick towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Drill where they work the ball upfield
    - Ball starts from a kick in from the goal square. He kicks it to the back pocket who kicks to one of two leading players. And they gradually work the ball upfield. It involved multiple leading options and players encouraged to keep running forward and stay involved.

Passing drill using a lot of width
    5 attackers try to pass the ball through 6 defenders. They used a really wide area which encouraged the attackers to switch the ball sideways to space. (the 6 defenders were spaced out in 3 lanes of 2 players.)

Split up into two groups
    - First group had Hickey and Sinclair practicing tapping it down to a 1 vs 1 from a ball up or boundary throw in. I think Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Clarke, Mills, Warner, Stephens, Blakey and Campbell were in this group.
    - The other group did 1 vs 1 contested marking from a high ball into the goal square. Later they kicked to a 1 vs 1 contest in the goal square and then had 2 attackers and 2 defenders running in to crumb the loose ball.

Split up into Backs, Mid, Forwards with their line coaches
    - Mids were with Cox. They continued to do tap stoppages. But incorporated a chain of handballs and a kick to exit the stoppage. Later they did drills picking up rolling groundballs.
    - Backs with Matthews practiced kicking the ball when a man was on the mark trying to land the ball in an area. Then later did contested marking 1 vs 1.
    - Forwards with Mcveigh did a drill where 2 attackers were trying to mark the ball against 1 defender in a small zone near the goal square. (The group of forwards seems to be the largest group of players.)
    Last edited by SeanM; 13th January 2021 at 10:16 PM.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast