Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 169 to 180 of 409

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

  1. #169
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    My wife is banning me from watching them because of the music!
    I made a criticism of the music on you tube and got caned as a "Boomer'.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Did I see Will Hayward get a couple of kicks?
    I thought so, too.

  2. #170
    Had the day off work so went down to training on Monday morning. The main group trained from about 9am to 1130am.

    Lighter training group
    -I arrived around 830am. Brand, Warner, Franklin and Dawson were the only players there and had been training for a while. Initially they were doing exercises behind the goals. Then did straight line running at about 90%. Then kicked balls back and forth between each other. Then they moved the ball up and down the field making runs and leads for each other. Then simulated breaking away from a stoppage. They seem to be getting close to full training because they are doing more football movements. Rather than just straight line running. Franklin looks very lean in the legs.

    - When the main group of players arrived. Malachy, Mcinerney and Naismith also joined the light training group. And they continued to do light drills and a lot of straight line running. Heeney, Cunningham and Papley seem to be in the main group now (though I don't think they took part in the match sim).
    There were also quite a few players from the VFL team training with the main group. I only recognised Thorne, Geddes and a tall ruckman.

    Kicking the ball to each other in threes
    - After a warmup the main group started with the usual kicking the ball back and forth in pairs or threes. During this time Cox took Sinclair, Naismith and Hickey and did some light rucking against each other from a boundary throw in.

    3 Kicking drills Rotating though
    - Practicing kicking to leading players inside 50
    - Practicing bringing the ball out from a kick in
    - Working the ball out of the back half, then simulating a turnover at halfway then the attacking team would practice rebounding and attacking in the opposite direction.

    Ground Ball drills
    - Quick drill picking up rolling ground balls

    2 vs 2 contested marking in the goal square
    - Long ball to a 1 vs 1 marking contest with another 2 players running in for the crumb.

    Kicking Drill Diagonal
    - 3 lines of players on each side. Players run and kick towards a player diagonally opposite them.

    Rebound Drill
    - Work the ball out of the ball of defence, then kick long to a player who punches it down, they simulate a turnover and the attacking side rebounds and quickly attacks in the other direction.

    Match sim
    - Maybe 30-40 minutes with around 15 players on each side. A lot of contact as players would try to break tackles or contest for ground balls.

    Split into 2 groups
    - Mids did a 6 vs 6 drill. Cox would roll the ball away. The players would compete for the ground ball then start to move the ball towards their goal.
    - Forwards and Backs did a 5 vs 5 drill where they attacked into the 50m arc with the attacking players making leads and trying to lose their markers.

    Split up into smaller groups
    - Mids were talking in a huddle and did some stoppage work, defenders did some marking practice, forwards were taking shots at goal.

  3. #171
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Had the day off work so went down to training on Monday morning. The main group trained from about 9am to 1130am.

    Lighter training group
    -I arrived around 830am. Brand, Warner, Franklin and Dawson were the only players there and had been training for a while. Initially they were doing exercises behind the goals. Then did straight line running at about 90%. Then kicked balls back and forth between each other. Then they moved the ball up and down the field making runs and leads for each other. Then simulated breaking away from a stoppage. They seem to be getting close to full training because they are doing more football movements. Rather than just straight line running. Franklin looks very lean in the legs.

    - When the main group of players arrived. Malachy, Mcinerney and Naismith also joined the light training group. And they continued to do light drills and a lot of straight line running. Heeney, Cunningham and Papley seem to be in the main group now (though I don't think they took part in the match sim).
    There were also quite a few players from the VFL team training with the main group. I only recognised Thorne, Geddes and a tall ruckman.

    Kicking the ball to each other in threes
    - After a warmup the main group started with the usual kicking the ball back and forth in pairs or threes. During this time Cox took Sinclair, Naismith and Hickey and did some light rucking against each other from a boundary throw in.

    3 Kicking drills Rotating though
    - Practicing kicking to leading players inside 50
    - Practicing bringing the ball out from a kick in
    - Working the ball out of the back half, then simulating a turnover at halfway then the attacking team would practice rebounding and attacking in the opposite direction.

    Ground Ball drills
    - Quick drill picking up rolling ground balls

    2 vs 2 contested marking in the goal square
    - Long ball to a 1 vs 1 marking contest with another 2 players running in for the crumb.

    Kicking Drill Diagonal
    - 3 lines of players on each side. Players run and kick towards a player diagonally opposite them.

    Rebound Drill
    - Work the ball out of the ball of defence, then kick long to a player who punches it down, they simulate a turnover and the attacking side rebounds and quickly attacks in the other direction.

    Match sim
    - Maybe 30-40 minutes with around 15 players on each side. A lot of contact as players would try to break tackles or contest for ground balls.

    Split into 2 groups
    - Mids did a 6 vs 6 drill. Cox would roll the ball away. The players would compete for the ground ball then start to move the ball towards their goal.
    - Forwards and Backs did a 5 vs 5 drill where they attacked into the 50m arc with the attacking players making leads and trying to lose their markers.

    Split up into smaller groups
    - Mids were talking in a huddle and did some stoppage work, defenders did some marking practice, forwards were taking shots at goal.
    Ta. Good that Heeney, Cunningham and Papley are now in the main group.

    The tall ruckman was probably McAndrew: who I'm looking forward to seeing. This is almost like a football card set of our new VFL squad. Which could be handy for ID purposes.

    https://www.instagram.com/swans_rese...d=5niim4q695nl
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 26th January 2021 at 07:53 AM.

  4. #172
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,905

  5. #173
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    368
    So we are less than a month out from the first AAMI Community series match, and the following haven't been/have only just begun to join in main training : Heeney, Franklin, Papley, Cunningham and Dawson ? That's a great sign 🙄

  6. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    So we are less than a month out from the first AAMI Community series match, and the following haven't been/have only just begun to join in main training : Heeney, Franklin, Papley, Cunningham and Dawson ? That's a great sign 🙄
    First time following the Swans through a pre season?

  7. #175
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,759
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    First time following the Swans through a pre season?
    LOL :-)

  8. #176
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,905
    Don Pyke talks publicly for the first time as a Swan.

    Pyke praises players after first match sim - YouTube

  9. #177
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Strangways central victoria
    Posts
    278
    I think Pyke is going to be a great pick up.

  10. #178
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Don Pyke talks publicly for the first time as a Swan.

    Pyke praises players after first match sim - YouTube
    In that video: player on the mark standing still with hands in air while another player kicks for goal. Looks plain silly!

    Remind me again - what is the point of this rule change?

  11. #179
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    In that video: player on the mark standing still with hands in air while another player kicks for goal. Looks plain silly!

    Remind me again - what is the point of this rule change?
    To stop players on the mark creeping up and stealing meterage. I think it is a stupid rule. It reminds me of kids footy. Now you naughty little boy you just stand here and don't move because if you do your opponent might pass you by. Sheesh. Let's treat them as adults for @@@@'s sake. Another stupid rule change

    Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

  12. #180
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    In that video: player on the mark standing still with hands in air while another player kicks for goal. Looks plain silly!

    Remind me again - what is the point of this rule change?
    Because Hocking was bored and thought what is the most pointless rule I can come up with.

    I'm concerned for Rampe because he can't keep still!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO