Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Because Hocking was bored and thought what is the most pointless rule I can come up with.

I'm concerned for Rampe because he can't keep still!
    Probably on both counts

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Because Hocking was bored and thought what is the most pointless rule I can come up with.

I'm concerned for Rampe because he can't keep still!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    In that video: player on the mark standing still with hands in air while another player kicks for goal. Looks plain silly!

Remind me again - what is the point of this rule change?
    To indiscriminately pluck frees for inconsequential transgressions, in order to drive fans, players and coaches crazy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I think Pyke is going to be a great pick up.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    To indiscriminately pluck frees for inconsequential transgressions, in order to drive fans, players and coaches crazy.
    Ah, just a standard footy season coming up then .

Our ex-Swan medico Nathan Gibbs is a dissenter to the new concussion rule.

‘Gibbs ..... feared making players automatically sit out a game would set a dangerous precedent, especially around AFL finals time, and send “concussions underground”.’

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/top...28-p56xlp.html

Ah, just a standard footy season coming up then .
    I know. In some ways, I don't really mind tinkering with the rules, as the odd change proves to be beneficial. It's just that it's every season that bugs me. Each year, it seems that there's four or five new rules; for players, coaches, fans and perhaps most importantly, umpires, to get their heads around. By round three or four, the majority of them are quietly forgotten about. A couple might make it to season's end, but with various degrees of enforcement. Then the next season sees one of those also forgotten about, or replaced by one of the four or five new rules for that season.

And after around 160 years of tinkering with the rules, you'd think that most people would have a fair idea of what works and what doesn't. So, perhaps we could go a season or two, without any changes?

Our ex-Swan medico Nathan Gibbs is a dissenter to the new concussion rule.

‘Gibbs ..... feared making players automatically sit out a game would set a dangerous precedent, especially around AFL finals time, and send “concussions underground”.’

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/top...28-p56xlp.html
    More or less on the same issue, this is from Brandon Jack. Interesting article, but mainly on the mindset of players.

Underbelly of sporting psyche needs to change if concussion campaign is to be won | Concussion in sport | The Guardian

By the way, for those people who don't like foul language, the article contains frequent use of a word, that starts with the letter c and which doesn't get through the site's swear filter.

- - - Updated - - -

More or less on the same issue, this is from Brandon Jack. Interesting article, but mainly on the mindset of players.

Underbelly of sporting psyche needs to change if concussion campaign is to be won | Concussion in sport | The Guardian

By the way, for those people who don't like foul language, the article contains frequent use of a word, that starts with the letter c and which doesn't get through the site's swear filter.
    At least I assume that it doesn't get through the swear filter. I haven't really tested it before.

I'll just run the test: @@@@.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

At least I assume that it doesn't get through the swear filter. I haven't really tested it before.

Ahhh: the scientific method.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Once again, outstanding writing from Brandon.

It's also not the only player that I've heard "who delayed the responses to his baseline concussions tests ever so slightly to give himself more leeway should he have to come from the field"

While I'm not buying into the concussion argument, I think it must make exercising a duty of care very difficult for the league. And God knows how it would affect a law suit.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

I don't see the point of urging boys to be the hardest woman on the field.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

- - - Updated - - -

No AFL Officiala on this site. RWO rules never change.

It works for me. I get so exhausted from running around the RWO filtera that I have to take an oxygen break every so often.

Good for RWO too. 12 straight months of Ludwig would be crushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Once again, outstanding writing from Brandon.

It's also not the only player that I've heard "who delayed the responses to his baseline concussions tests ever so slightly to give himself more leeway should he have to come from the field"

While I'm not buying into the concussion argument, I think it must make exercising a duty of care very difficult for the league. And God knows how it would affect a law suit.
    Yes, I've heard the occasional anecdote, about some sportspeople deliberately underperforming on their baseline concussion tests. Though of course, that may run the risk, of those administering the tests thinking that you're an idiot. Or at least, not having the cognitive skills required to become a professional player.

And I found it interesting, how Brandon pointed out the irony, of the majority of the players in the competition buying into the belief; that to succeed, you've got to work harder than everyone else. And that many players do believe, that yes, they are working harder than everyone else. Which obviously can't be true. I suspect that's a delusion that's easy enough to sustain, if you're on the way up or at the top, but more difficult to maintain, if you're working exceptionally hard, but being beaten by more talented sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I don't see the point of urging boys to be the hardest woman on the field.
    I would like to continue the conversation, but I keep self-censoring my replies.