Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Huge assumptions and massively long bows. Or are you psychic?
    Just doesn't like Rowbottom.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Just doesn't like Rowbottom.
    That is an unfair characterisation. He seems an impressive young man. I do feel he is over rated on this forum. It doesn't matter who it is , if a player who was top 10 in our best and fairest follows it up with a middling preseason i think that is cause for concern and disappointment. We need players taking forward steps not backwards ones

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    If at least a good proportion of those people were actual spectators, then wow, the Swans have come a very long way in Sydney.
    Look every Intraclub gets 200 or more. I can remember going with a friend one year and they ran out of food by half time. I mean nothing not even frozen hotdog or sausage rolls. The crowd was far bigger than 200. Same when we play GWS in the whatever company preseason match it is at Blacktown.

It really isn't at Blacktown it's between Seven Hills and Toongabbie and is in the middle of nowhere. If there were not buses I definitely would not go. But the crowds there are quite good. The facilities are pretty good too and you can get a good feed.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    That is an unfair characterisation. He seems an impressive young man. I do feel he is over rated on this forum. It doesn't matter who it is , if a player who was top 10 in our best and fairest follows it up with a middling preseason i think that is cause for concern and disappointment. We need players taking forward steps not backwards ones
    The season has not even started yet. I think you are being needlessly pessimistic. Said Hanrahan comes to mind. If you don't know it look it up. He has not trained badly and was in the middle of everything in the match sims. I think he had to take on two of the most professional mids, Parker & Kennedy. They give most opposition coaches headaches let alone virtually a second year player. Opposition players still have nightmares the night before a match against Kennedy or Parker.

So give the boy some slack. He is just learning the caper. He will go away and learn from this experience. I have no doubt he will be just as good this year as he was last. As for him not being fit there has been no indication of this. By the way did you actually see the game? Or are you going on a few minutes of footy to put @@@@ on the kid?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    If you don't know it look it up
    Very sage advice
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    The season has not even started yet. I think you are being needlessly pessimistic. Said Hanrahan comes to mind. If you don't know it look it up. He has not trained badly and was in the middle of everything in the match sims. I think he had to take on two of the most professional mids, Parker & Kennedy. They give most opposition coaches headaches let alone virtually a second year player. Opposition players still have nightmares the night before a match against Kennedy or Parker.

So give the boy some slack. He is just learning the caper. He will go away and learn from this experience. I have no doubt he will be just as good this year as he was last. As for him not being fit there has been no indication of this. By the way did you actually see the game? Or are you going on a few minutes of footy to put @@@@ on the kid?

There are a number of Hanrahans on this forum, especially after a loss. Good call Irish Patriot!

Regarding Rowbottom playing on the "weaker" side.. it's fair to assume there were 3 starting on ball spots in the red and they went to Parker, Kennedy, Mills. Which is reasonable. He's not ahead of them just yet, but may be in the near future

Veterans List
    It was a scratch match for goodness sake. The first "match" if you can call it that. Most players are rusty at this stage. It doesn't mean they are unfit.

More concerning that McInenerney didn't play. But then again we tend to introduce some players at different stages of preseason.

McInerney had a stress fracture in his back to end the season - likely he'll be introduced late in the pre season or during the year off a longer run up

My prediction is that after all this hoo-ha, Rowbottom (who is an avid reader of RWO) will take out the Brownlow.

So bloody exciting that it looks like Mills will (finally) be played mostly in the midfield.

Will be interesting to see who takes his backline spot. I'm thinking with McCartin and Melican taking the two talls, it could free up Rampe to take the third tall and play that sweeping/intercepting (some might say quarterback ) role.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So bloody exciting that it looks like Mills will (finally) be played mostly in the midfield.

Will be interesting to see who takes his backline spot. I'm thinking with McCartin and Melican taking the two talls, it could free up Rampe to take the third tall and play that sweeping/intercepting (some might say quarterback ) role.
    I think the Red team from the Saturday practice hitout is the most probable starting back six. Fox is the preferred choice for the last spot over COR, Gould and several others, but there's a lot of competition for that spot. Dawson is also a possibilty.

In a recent interview on SEN, Jake Lloyd described his role as the player with the job of getting free and moving the ball out of the backline, a role some have labeled the quarterback. Rampe likes to play the goalie (he's even willing to climb the goalpost if necessary) if he can drop off his man, which he should be able to do if Melican and McCartin take the 2 top oppo KPDs.