Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

The last couple of posts in this thread have been a little underwhelming. And so was my attendance at the club's training this morning. I turned up, hopeful of eyeballing the players, including the new recruits, possibly even getting to witness a time trial. But there were no players or coaches at Lakeside oval 8.30-9.00 am today as I had anticipated. Either training was starting later after some indoor stuff. Or it's on different days. Or they're training somewhere else today or at the moment. Does anyone know? They do often send the younger players on training camps to bond e.g. Narrabeen Lakes etc. And sometimes they move over to Bat & Ball Oval or even Henson Park, and I didn't check out those alternate venues (I passed Bat & Ball on my way there but I was focused on getting through the traffic to Lakeside and didn't pay attention to whether there were any players training there).

Another thing, jumper numbers: does anyone know where historical lists of players to have played in various jumper numbers can be found? I'm pretty good at remembering who has the jumper numbers currently but not so good with former bearers of jumper numbers - not even those who I have watched.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The last couple of posts in this thread have been a little underwhelming. And so was my attendance at the club's training this morning. I turned up, hopeful of eyeballing the players, including the new recruits, possibly even getting to witness a time trial. But there were no players or coaches at Lakeside oval 8.30-9.00 am today as I had anticipated. Either training was starting later after some indoor stuff. Or it's on different days. Or they're training somewhere else today or at the moment. Does anyone know? They do often send the younger players on training camps to bond e.g. Narrabeen Lakes etc. And sometimes they move over to Bat & Ball Oval or even Henson Park, and I didn't check out those alternate venues (I passed Bat & Ball on my way there but I was focused on getting through the traffic to Lakeside and didn't pay attention to whether there were any players training there).

Another thing, jumper numbers: does anyone know where historical lists of players to have played in various jumper numbers can be found? I'm pretty good at remembering who has the jumper numbers currently but not so good with former bearers of jumper numbers - not even those who I have watched.
    It completely beats me why the club is so reticent about training times and venues pre season. Fair enough during the season as the SCG is not easy about letting people in mid week, and closed sessions are occasionally needed for some practices. But in Dec/ Jan when most are on public land at Lakeside, surely an announcement on the website is not beyond them. They do have a media team. I love going to training but live 25k from the SCG, so driving there on the off chance I might see them is not gonna happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

This site is comprehensive for player details.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html

It seems they just started later than usual and I wasn't patient enough - they've posted some stuff on twitter: https://twitter.com/sydneyswans?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetem bed%7Ctwterm%5E1338277573034315777%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwc on%5Es1_&ref_url=.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    This site is comprehensive for player details.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html
    They only list players that have played at least 1 senior game. RWO has this feature too and it includes all listed players! You can view by year (or range of years), by number, or search by name.

It's hiding under the RWO Features link at the top

RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    They only list players that have played at least 1 senior game. RWO has this feature too and it includes all listed players! You can view by year (or range of years), by number, or search by name.

It's hiding under the RWO Features link at the top

RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com
    Just the sort of thing we should have too! Thanks ugg.

The club put up an Instagram story of McDonald training today. Boy does he move well for a guy almost 2m tall. He looks more like a midfielder in his movement than like the King brothers or Riewoldt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    The club put up an Instagram story of McDonald training today. Boy does he move well for a guy almost 2m tall. He looks more like a midfielder in his movement than like the King brothers or Riewoldt.
    So more Nick than Jack? Nick Riewoldt would be in any team I picked ahead of Jack but I'd be happy if he turned out to be similar to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    So more Nick than Jack? Nick Riewoldt would be in any team I picked ahead of Jack but I'd be happy if he turned out to be similar to either.
    He's compared to Nick in his style of play. But having watched his highlights I'm not as convinced. I'd compare him more to Jeremy Cameron.

Senior Player
    I heard an interview with him where he said he played most of his junior footy as a mid until his growth spurt resulted in him playing as a key forward. He also said it took him a little time in the WAFL to work out how to deal with the bigger bodies, but he got there.

Veterans List
    We may be forever grateful to Hawthorn for beating Gold Coast late in the season :-)

Veteran Site Admin
    He's compared to Nick in his style of play. But having watched his highlights I'm not as convinced. I'd compare him more to Jeremy Cameron.
    Pouts a lot and looks for easy goals out the back?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We may be forever grateful to Hawthorn for beating Gold Coast late in the season :-)
    We did our darnedest to blow it against Geelong though!

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast